The new US Military Rifle...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

The new US Military Rifle...

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/tTAfS1addXU?si=Vsxt1I96XpavT3Ku

My main concern is that the 'bimetal case' might turn into a 'battery' during storage if any moisture is present outside the case, or if any powder component might serve as even a slightly effective solid electrolyte.

The other question is whether the cost and effort of restocking and converting and training wouldn't be better invested in just a lot more TRAINING with present equipment.

Still ...3,000fps with a high-bc 113 grain bullet is pretty impressive.

I guess we will see....

...one cool thing is that as they retire the M-4's, we can count on them all being available to citizens via the Department of Civilian Marksmanship at a great price.... 8) 8) 8)

...[/dream-mode] :lol: :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The new US Military Rifle...

Post by jeepnik »

Gee, wasn't the Garand originally supposed to be .27 caliber? And didn't they stick with the 30-06 because of all of the ammo the military had in storage?

Imagine if the Garand had be .27 caliber, and then they made the M-14 also in .27 caliber maybe we never would have had that miserable 5.56 and the M-16 forced on the American military. Of course, then I wouldn't constantly be telling folks just was a piece of stuff the M-16 and 5.56 are.

But it looks like I and being vindicated as far as caliber goes, not sure, but I bet there are some significant differences between the M-7 and the M-16. And why are they calling it an M-7? Are they hoping history will forget the M-16?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Still kind of amazed that the military adopted a round that runs at 80,000.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:06 am Still kind of amazed that the military adopted a round that runs at 80,000.

i'll be amazed if we ever see it issued. This is about the fourth "new Army rifle" they have adopted since the M16 came on the scene...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:06 am Still kind of amazed that the military adopted a round that runs at 80,000.
And at this pressure how long is the lifespan of the aluminum ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Pisgah wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:02 am

i'll be amazed if we ever see it issued. This is about the fourth "new Army rifle" they have adopted since the M16 came on the scene...
Exactly.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Doesn’t the 270 winchester have a little better speeds and do it at way less pressure ?
And uses all brass cases.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

4t5 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:05 pm Doesn’t the 270 winchester have a little better speeds and do it at way less pressure ?
There you go again with the facts. :D
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

This cartridge looks like a .270/ 08 with a scary name worth soaking tax payers.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The Army has been talking about changing rifles since early 2000s, almost as long as they have been talking about changing their Physical Fitness Program. I honestly suspect they will come out with yet another camo pattern for their uniforms before they ever fix their Fitness Program or push a standard Issue 6.8 for combat troops. Of course they changed over to the SIG 320 pistol with marginal fielding. Personally, I dont think they have enough time to decide before we get knee deep in our next war.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Y'all are thinking it's about effectiveness and efficiency. It's about the care and feeding of the American military contractors... and their donations to re-election campaigns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

4t5 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:05 pm Doesn’t the 270 winchester have a little better speeds and do it at way less pressure ?
But it would add a half inch to the gun length… :roll:

But yeah, or a 270 WSM, or something…

I don’t trust a two-piece case… :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don’t think the cartridge or rifle themselves will be the problem.

This weapon obviously has more recoil. How long until the military does an FBI and backpedal because someone complains about the recoil is too much for smaller (read female) troops.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Recoil? It is pretty much a higher pressure slightly smaller 7mm-08. In a AR-10 type rifle, it shouldn’t be bad for anyone. As a ballistics/cartridge nerd I find it interesting and better than anything 5.56mm. Honestly I can’t see it being than much better than 7.62x51. Yes smaller, more aerodynamic bullet going a bit faster…I get that. But we have had 308 for 70 years across NATO with different rifles, machine guns, magazines, and established dope and doctrine. They know how to get hits from it at amazing ranges

I think we will stick with 5.56 for general issue…again
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pisgah wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:02 am

I remember all the hype about the SCAR just a few years ago --- the rest just seemed to be another AR variant of some type
----- Doug