Bear creek supply bullets 25 auto

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Bear creek supply bullets 25 auto

Post by 1894cfan »

Got my box of the Bear Creek Supply Bullets 55gr. 25 Auto bullets today and after playing around with a few powder loads that fired but not ejected the bullets, ended up with the Lee .17 CC/1.5gr scoop of 800X that fired and ejected said bullet! Now I can reload for my Colt Vest Pocket whenever I feel like it, which isn't going to be very often, but at least I can! :)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bear creek supply bullets 25 auto

Post by jeepnik »

I've thought about reloading the .25 acp. But every time I look at that little bullet and my big fat thumbs...
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hope you have a pound of 800x for the future as it's been discontinued. Though a pound will load a bunch of 25s at 1.5grs!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Yup, got a pound. Got it for another cartridge, but never used it. Matter if fact, it's been so long since I bought it that I forgot what cartridge I got it for! :? Got some 700X also.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

jeepnik wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:42 am I've thought about reloading the .25 acp. But every time I look at that little bullet and my big fat thumbs...
Bullet wise it's no different than loading for .223. The biggest difference is in the case, man that 25acp case is TINY! JMB wanted to make a center fire version of the 22lr and a gun to fit it, hence the tiny pocket guns like the Colt Vest Pocket!
Cheapest way is getting the Lee 3 die set, comes with the .17cc scoop, and an RCBS shell holder, #29 in this case, since the Lee shell holder doesn't support the case very well.
I just wish SOMEONE would come back out with jacketed bullets for reloading again! But since they don't, this box of 500 coated lead bullets will last me a LONG time!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I just spent 20 minutes looking for the box of Sierra .251FMJ I've had kicking around for the past 30 years. Guess I threw them out? I would have sent them to you!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

No worries, Gunny. What I've got should last me almost forever! :wink:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Did Hornady and Speer discontinue their .251 bullets?
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Looks like it. Midway has had the Speer 35gr Gold Dots on backorder forever! Last box I got was about 3 years ago! :(
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I reload for the 25 acp with cast bullets……..after spending a couple of hundred for the needed components/tools I gave it up…..you DONT find the brass unless you have a tarp. ……functioned flawlessly out of a Colt made in ‘29, not one of those junky later “Colts” that have the Colt name but are made in Spain…..

The only semi accurate 25 acp I’ve ever shot was out of a 25-35 model 1894….hit the 10” gong repeatedly at 140 yards. Dead quiet and accurate despite the difference in bore diameter.

I believe it was Jim Taylor (our Jim) who said the only way to quickly incapacitate an attacker is to hold the gun to the soon-to-be dead guy against his ear. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

I reckon a little bolt action, or even a martini, in .25acp would be fun.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

1894cfan wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:45 am
jeepnik wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:42 am I've thought about reloading the .25 acp. But every time I look at that little bullet and my big fat thumbs...
Bullet wise it's no different than loading for .223. The biggest difference is in the case, man that 25acp case is TINY! JMB wanted to make a center fire version of the 22lr and a gun to fit it, hence the tiny pocket guns like the Colt Vest Pocket!
Cheapest way is getting the Lee 3 die set, comes with the .17cc scoop, and an RCBS shell holder, #29 in this case, since the Lee shell holder doesn't support the case very well.
I just wish SOMEONE would come back out with jacketed bullets for reloading again! But since they don't, this box of 500 coated lead bullets will last me a LONG time!
I don't reload for that varmit round. I do have an AR that was a gift from my kids. I let them do the reloading for it. Youngest is a reloading machine himself. He likes to spend hours reloading. He's also an experimenter. Me, I find a load that works and just stick with that.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

EG73 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm I reckon a little bolt action, or even a martini, in .25acp would be fun.
I have wondered what the 25 would do in well made rifle. Then again accuracy has probably not been a priority in ammunition development
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Sixgun, I remember reading a story many years ago about a wimpy little guy in NY that was being messed with by a couple hells angels types, he pulled out his 25 auto and shot both, once each, in the chest, hitting them in a major artery and dropping them almost instantly.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

44shooter wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:55 am
EG73 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm I reckon a little bolt action, or even a martini, in .25acp would be fun.
I have wondered what the 25 would do in well made rifle. Then again accuracy has probably not been a priority in ammunition development
I would imagine if somebody did up a lead .251" version of CCIs flat nose SGB 22lr round it ought to work a heck of a lot better than the 50gr FMJ with deeper penetration than JHPs.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

In the 25 auto the best bullet is a fmj as the factory loads them. The only thing the 25 auto has going for it is penetration. JHP’s in the 25 are the biggest joke ever put upon shooters……it will flatten out and most likely will feel like a bee sting. Perhaps a hard cast RN bullet would work as good. But like you said 1894 fan, sometimes a shooter will get lucky.

After Stalins forces were pushing west and taking control of the eastern half of Poland, the Soviets gathered up all the officers they could find from the Polish army….more than 4,000 were killed one at a time with German made 25 autos….one shot to the back of the head where the brain stem is…….

Nasty Russians, about the same as the Japs and the Nazi’s. Good ole Patton wanted to crush the Soviets. Eisenhower should have listened.

This little 25 auto, made in ‘29 has never failed to fire or feed…mmmm…about 10 boxes of factory and a 100 or so reloads.

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Graf’s has Prvi Partisan FMJs available. Bullets not ammo
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I found a dead guy in the hallway of an apartment building. He had a tiny hole in the middle of his chest and he had a cigarette before he died as the intact ash was on his chest and chin as his head was propped up by the wall.

.25 ACP fired from a Raven pistol at close range.

I believe I found the empty case just inside the door opposite his body.

The occupant likely had good reason to plug this fellow and I hated to have to book her.

I’d like to think the DA’s office dropped the charges. I was never called to testify so I don’t know what happened after that.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I just remembered an episode of the tv show MASH where Major Burns was part of a group doing some kind of prisoner exchange and was caught by a North Korean officer. When Burns showed the officer what he was carrying, a colt vest pocket, the North Korean Officer just started laughing and said "you call that a gun?" Or something to that effect. :roll:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The episode was Rainbow Bridge.
Margaret gave it to Frank, said her father gave it to her mother on their wedding night.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

44shooter wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:55 pm Graf’s has Prvi Partisan FMJs available. Bullets not ammo
Thank you for that info, but I've got about 500rds of factory and just picked up a 500ct box of the Bear Creek bullets. So I think I'm set for the rest of my life. About 200 of that is the old Winchester 45gr Expanding Point 'pellet in the nose' bullets. What a joke that round was! Acted just like an FMJ with no expansion! :roll:
After getting the box of bullets, fired off 6 of those cartridges for reloading inside a cardboard box so I wouldn't have to go hunting for the cases in a bunch of weeds! In case I forgot to mention, mine is a 1917 Colt Vest Pocket. Barrel is kinda worn and pitted from not being cleaned in a timely manner. After I got it from my Father's estate I fired one round with primer only, and yes it will exit the barrel, to see what kind of marks it leaves on the FMJ bullet. Only marks were from the lands with just a tiniest bet of scuffing from the grooves.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:08 am The episode was Rainbow Bridge.
Margaret gave it to Frank, said her father gave it to her mother on their wedding night.
Nickel plated with ivory grips! "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT"!? :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That’s funny Scott! A Raven! I remember they were selling for $39.99 back in the seventies………that incident was obviously in “da hood”.—006

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

1894cfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:52 am
GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:08 am The episode was Rainbow Bridge.
Nickel plated with ivory grips! "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT"!? :lol:
Yup you got it !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!