Who needs a horse...???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Who needs a horse...???

Post by AJMD429 »

...actually I'd rather have a horse, but I'm sure one of these would be easier and more affordable...

https://youtu.be/eTobJNwQKpo?si=iljHFCXo7MJ7uBnD

If bad things happen, I'll bet there will be plenty of ne'er-do-wells with such transportation.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who needs a horse...???

Post by jeepnik »

Well, that's fine if you have gas and spare parts. But horses can eat off the land, and they are self replicating. Maybe not as fast, but riding like that you would easily ride into an ambush and not have a clue until you are talking to St. Peter.

Not exactly low (although much quieter), certainly slow, and you can lead a horse in the dark much easier than pushing a motorcycle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fascinating. Even I could probably ride one. Not prohibitive at $5K.

https://eridepros.com/product/pro-ss-19/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is interesting how they are almost silent.

I hadn't thought about that in terms of potentially being on the receiving end of people arriving with that mode of transportation to do bad things. Potentially quieter than horses, for that matter... :shock:

The idea of a conveyance like that which is far easier to operate than a motorcycle, requires no fuel, and can be potentially charged up with some solar panels and a battery pack or generator, is intriguing. Easier to hide than a horse, as well. Plus nothing to saddle up or prepare if you suddenly need to go somewhere; you just hop on and scoot.

Probably be nice to have both, but having had a Halflinger who loved to tear down fence and escape, and required a fair amount of maintenance since we didn't have large areas of pasture, it does pose an interesting option. From videos I see of nations that go down the tubes, bicycles and scooters of various sorts certainly seem popular.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, when I lived in the small town of Talent in the Rogue Valley of Southern Oregon, an innovative engineer came up with an electric street bike called the Brammo, and they went into production in an abandoned Walmart. These were bigger bikes than the E Ride, and it was always a surprise to hear one whoosh by in near silence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brammo
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:21 am From videos I see of nations that go down the tubes, bicycles and scooters of various sorts certainly seem popular.
Having lived in the Third World, while there are bicycles and motorbikes, I saw clearly that the vast majority of the populations have only their legs to rely on for travel.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I will put my KL250 up against that any time. I can easily carry 6g of fuel in 2 flatpacks, which gives me something like a 700 mile range, probably a lot more if I'm traveling deserted roads at 30. KL will go anywhere the e can go, and carry a bigger load if it has to. The e bike is tied to the grid, a desperately weak substitute. Like, how long will it take to recharge the battery at night? What size solar cell array will be required to charge the battery in deep forest glens?

For a trip to the grocery store, or shooting range, where the total round trip length does not exceed the usual feed trough location, well and good. I have a 3-door hatch that gets me 350 miles on a tank of gas, goes most of the places jeeps go, and can carry a lot of provisions + fuel . . . for about half the price of the e bike . . . won't be any boon docking on the e ...

doesn't add up for my way of thinking, regardless of the fun factor.

back in the day, remember washing machines that had gas engines? those engines were the start of all the pit bikes and go carts and scooters and off roaders that we have now, electric grid made the washers able to come indoors, but good old gasoline made horses optional . . . imo,

grizz
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My friend has one of those and says it's a hoot. He takes it up to his hunting cabin and runs forest service roads with it. There is no petals. This was the next step in getting a smaller dirt bike. But he still has his KTM. The wife and I got E-bikes last year and can cover more ground with them, so you get to see more stuff. Not interested in riding city bike trails. We hit all the scenic bike trails that are along rivers. The best thing is that if you get tired you just throttle back to the truck.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Well, I have had a few horses and still have 3 McCllelan saddles-the best saddle for rough mountain country
like AZ-NM and points west.

That said, an older BMW R-bike makes more sense. Economical and easy to work on. No computers,
very popular in Europe & USA- will do well on rough roads.
Horses do need fuel-whether you are riding them or not. They come in handy on front grass lawns-from experience.
No lawn care needed.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As a novelty, sure... but in an "end of civilization as we know it" thing, batteries degrade over time... If I can get mine to last five years they're exceptional. So in 5 years you have a two wheeled, unstable, poorly balanced cart. My horses were 6 & 3 when I acquired them, five years later they 11 & 8, but in the middle & beginning of their best useable years! One had already replaced herself, TWICE, with minimal help from me. Also, works as a source of income. Even with the occasional snit, I'll take a horse!
Last edited by Griff on Sun May 19, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

450 Fuller wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:48 am That said, an older BMW R-bike makes more sense. Economical and easy to work on. No computers,
very popular in Europe & USA- will do well on rough roads.
Horses do need fuel-whether you are riding them or not. They come in handy on front grass lawns-from experience.
No lawn care needed.
I have two airheads, they keep each other running as parts bikes, which one will outlast the other is not known yet.

But the KL will out-go them on the roads I like to ride... I hope I have one more trans-con ride left in me on the cruiser, I started with an airhead and rode cross-country before I owned first car. Maybe will get a dream catcher trip yet . . .

Yeah Griff, the KL can run without a battery, has direct magneto ignition, with a separate lighting coil. It's a good setup.
My first airhead, an R-50, had magneto ignition too. Just like the airplane engine it came from.

Still, they don't nuzzle you for the treats in your coat pocket, so that's a drawback of the iron horses.
grizz
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’m with Griff on this one. But they sure are nimble and quiet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

In my younger days I rode horses where you would never get a motorbike of any kind. The Appaloosa that I had was so sure-footed I rode him places I would not try to go on foot.

But horses are a way of life ... mine were friends .... not something inanimate that you can park in a garage and forget about for years.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:45 am In my younger days I rode horses where you would never get a motorbike of any kind. The Appaloosa that I had was so sure-footed I rode him places I would not try to go on foot.

But horses are a way of life ... mine were friends .... not something inanimate that you can park in a garage and forget about for years.
I rode an Appaloosa in the deep woods of California gold country. One day she jumped about 5 feet straight sideways, she saw the coiled rattle snake that I didn't ! Since then I've had high regard for those beauties.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:35 amYeah Griff, the KL can run without a battery, has direct magneto ignition, with a separate lighting coil. It's a good setup...Still, they don't nuzzle you for the treats in your coat pocket, so that's a drawback of the iron horses.
grizz
While I know the mechanics of making gasoline, the source product and again, power for such an operation will not likely be present.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:03 pm
Grizz wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:35 amYeah Griff, the KL can run without a battery, has direct magneto ignition, with a separate lighting coil. It's a good setup...Still, they don't nuzzle you for the treats in your coat pocket, so that's a drawback of the iron horses.
grizz
While I know the mechanics of making gasoline, the source product and again, power for such an operation will not likely be present.
yup, making gasoline could be an issue, hope Jesus gets back before things get that way!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:45 amBut horses are a way of life ... mine were friends .... not something inanimate that you can park in a garage and forget about for years.
Very true. Plus the care and feeding isn't automatic. Few of us really have enough grazeable land to support horses.

However the BEST scenario would be to have all sorts of options.

Horses to go places or carry loads that bikes and trucks can't go.
Trucks and tractors for whenever you can get fuel.
Electrics for when you can't.
And. STEAM ENGINE generator to have your own grid.

One problem is if grid down fuel isn't likely to be easy to get.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 pm One problem is if grid down fuel isn't likely to be easy to get.
It might be possible to get a whole lot of fuel out of dead computerized vehicles. Depending on the circumstances.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 pm One problem is if grid down fuel isn't likely to be easy to get.
It might be possible to get a whole lot of fuel out of dead computerized vehicles. Depending on the circumstances.
Only if they are freshly dead. The alcohol in our current gasoline doesn’t store well for too long.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hmmm. I am reminded of Mad Max movies ...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 am Hmmm. I am reminded of Mad Max movies ...
I had that same thought.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

https://youtu.be/3MmSeu0pksc

Rick made it to Atlanta on a horse.......
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:19 am
JimT wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm
Only if they are freshly dead. The alcohol in our current gasoline doesn’t store well for too long.
it still burns though. I have gas in containers that's years old. It still runs when I mix it into a tank of this year's gas. It still runs the mower and trimmer and chain saw. biggest problem of the water in the fuel is damage to the carb innards, which is a maintenance issue. I used to put in fuel additives, don't bother any more. won't be good racing fuel, but will run the vehicles OK and the garden tools . . .

I am reminded of the value of chamois for filtering fuel. keep the rust and water from getting into the fuel. still remember Dad using chamois in the funnel he was gassing his airplane with . . .
Last edited by Grizz on Thu May 23, 2024 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I only use non-ethanol gas in the lawnmowers, chainsaws, trimmers, generators and my golf carts; and try to keep the equipment full. When I shut anything down, I run the carbs out of gas, so the fuel doesn't sit in the carbs. Except for the lawnmowers and golf carts, (they get used often enough that it doesn't matter).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

If/when we're out of fossil fuels for any significant amount of time, transportation wise, we're in a bad place.....at least where we have long winters (as far as the ability to put up stored feed).

The Amish will have the last laugh.

Regular bicycles for awhile, then we're walking..
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I use one for weight loss and fitness --- there are trails that i want to ride that i am just not physically fit enough to handle on my own -and i feel my E-bike has extended my cycling career greatly.

Mine is a bit special purpose , sure, but i have seen manufacturers market rack systems for them so i could really make this thing into a little mule if i needed to

But since i ride for recreation and sport, i don't need the bike encumbered with excess weighty objects and things that will work loose rolling through a dedicated mountain bike trail. In a perfect world and if i could afford it, i would have 2 of these bikes - one stripped down just like this and another one set up with racks , cargo carriers, -- you can even pull little bike trailers with them. Not uncommon to pick up a kiddie trailer from a formerly well meaning mom or dad for pennies on the dollar when they discover rolling the kids around in a trailer is not as much fun aas they thought it would be - then re-configure to a small cargo trailer

I still have to pedal my bike and i greatly prefer it to the type that to me are just electric mini bikes. Theres no free lunch in nature and its nice to get some health benefits out of it ----- but i agree with some of the counterpoints already brought up -- in a true bad times environment, how do you keep it charged, and once the battery degrades in a few years -- its now a 50 pound bicycle thats very hard to pedal , as opposed to a conventional bike that might weigh 30 pounds

Not mine - some images i snagged from the Old Man Mountain website - the people who make the racks

----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I expect that this technology is only going to get better.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No matter how good the technology gets, a mechanical device can't produce off spring.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 am I only use non-ethanol gas in the lawnmowers, chainsaws, trimmers, generators and my golf carts; and try to keep the equipment full. When I shut anything down, I run the carbs out of gas, so the fuel doesn't sit in the carbs. Except for the lawnmowers and golf carts, (they get used often enough that it doesn't matter).
This is good practice. Another one that I've used for years is to shut down a running engine by slowly pouring lube oil into the carburator to choke the engine off. I do this to my chain saw and other small engines that I won't be using for a season. I've done this with truck and car engines, and boat engines. I did this to a Honda 4-wheeler my daughter left with us in Alaska. I wasn't using it so I warmed it up with a long ride and choked the engine with lube oil. Daughter showed up years later, 3 or 4 to retrieve it and it started on the second kick and ran as well as the day it was shut down. Worked on my flathead truck and boat engines, they never seized up in the hostile sea environment. . . Probably would have been perfect for steam donkeys, but I missed out on all that fun.

BE CAREFUL WITH ANY 71 SERIES DETROIT ENGINE ! ! ! THEY RUN JUST FINE ON THEIR OWN LUBE OIL, ONLY WAY TO STOP THEM IS TO CHOKE THE AIR SUPPLY. EPIC EPISODES OF THIS STORY IN THE FLEET. MY 8-V had a choke damper on the air intake. Others have used a sleeping bag to stop a run-away engine, which can happen with the blower eats its oil seals.. oh my...

i know you know this Griff!

grizz
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Runaway engines are no joke. 1975 an F-4 Phantom II had a runaway left engine. One of the guys on my rescue truck stopped it by throwing his proximity suit coat in the intake. The most spectacular case of choking an engine I’ve ever seen.

Pilot and rear seater seemed happy. Engine maintenance types not so much.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 am Runaway engines are no joke. 1975 an F-4 Phantom II had a runaway left engine. One of the guys on my rescue truck stopped it by throwing his proximity suit coat in the intake. The most spectacular case of choking an engine I’ve ever seen.

Pilot and rear seater seemed happy. Engine maintenance types not so much.
that's intense. how long does the engine swap take on the F-4?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A buddy of mines father bought a model RC jet engine, it was a bigger model for a B52 /747 type model. He cobbled it together on a bicycle frame. They rode it once! At about half throttle you were doing at least 45mph! Thankfully he didn't rig a very large fuel tank! :lol:

Your feet are the best thing for you, they won't run off without you, throw you, step on your toes. Although an equine is a decent early alert system.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:24 am
Griff wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 amI only use non-ethanol gas in the lawnmowers, chainsaws, trimmers, generators and my golf carts; and try to keep the equipment full. When I shut anything down, I run the carbs out of gas, so the fuel doesn't sit in the carbs. Except for the lawnmowers and golf carts, (they get used often enough that it doesn't matter).
This is good practice. Another one that I've used for years is to shut down a running engine by slowly pouring lube oil into the carburator to choke the engine off. I do this to my chain saw and other small engines that I won't be using for a season. I've done this with truck and car engines, and boat engines. I did this to a Honda 4-wheeler my daughter left with us in Alaska. I wasn't using it so I warmed it up with a long ride and choked the engine with lube oil. Daughter showed up years later, 3 or 4 to retrieve it and it started on the second kick and ran as well as the day it was shut down. Worked on my flathead truck and boat engines, they never seized up in the hostile sea environment. . . Probably would have been perfect for steam donkeys, but I missed out on all that fun.
BE CAREFUL WITH ANY 71 SERIES DETROIT ENGINE ! ! ! THEY RUN JUST FINE ON THEIR OWN LUBE OIL, ONLY WAY TO STOP THEM IS TO CHOKE THE AIR SUPPLY. EPIC EPISODES OF THIS STORY IN THE FLEET. MY 8-V had a choke damper on the air intake. Others have used a sleeping bag to stop a run-away engine, which can happen with the blower eats its oil seals.. oh my...
i know you know this Griff!
grizz
So too with the 92 series Detroits.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:30 pm
Your feet are the best thing for you, they won't run off without you, throw you, step on your toes. Although an equine is a decent early alert system.
I walk a mile every morning with the dog. He loves it and it’s good for me.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

All these options are great....but if things go real bad, where ya gonna go?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

gcs wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:02 am All these options are great....but if things go real bad, where ya gonna go?
Pacific Ocean
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Grizz wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:52 pm
gcs wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:02 am All these options are great....but if things go real bad, where ya gonna go?

Pacific Ocean
Can I bring my fishing rod? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:16 pm

Pacific Ocean
as long as you clean the catch and make fish tacos :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dunno about the tacos but I've cleaned a few fish and butchered many deer type critters!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 pm

Pacific Ocean

I tried to make fish tacos. They didn’t like them.
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:53 am
Grizz wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 pm

Pacific Ocean

I tried to make fish tacos. They didn’t like them.
I know. Tell them no ice cream until the tacos are all gone . . .
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have thought about those often but they lack the cargo capabilities I would like for the bush in Alaska and around the house in the lower 48. I will stick with my UTVs and ATVs. For running around the lower house it doesn't have the range for to and from town and the UTVs are road-legal.

Part of the 50-mile (one-way) ride to get to the hunting camp south of Ft Yukon.
DSCN0071.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Not me, I've got a Donk, I mean Appalachian Mule. Fill it with feed before leaving and it'll still have near half a belly full long after my butts done for. Hunting, fishing, long days camping, and it stays where I tie him up. This pic this morning shooting, a makeshift shooting bench added.
20240529_112054.jpg
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Had it 12 years, nothing done but change oil, one set tires. But I better be getting a battery soon! Hauled in several deer, plenty fish, cookouts, campouts, and theres some dandy trailers to put behind it if I needed.
20231111_105906.jpg
They're all very good, tough, well made! But, I've been around these things all my life, outdoors, even mining use to get to mine cut outs for a required air check weekly, and young fools who test em regularly just see how far and fast, how steep they can get!!! But some are belt driven, lotta electric shifts, etc! But I've yet to see the basic gear& shaft drive Honda Foreman to break down 10 miles back of nowhere! Never, but I know of belt drives breaking, and you're stuck till a tow! Plus manual shift eases down hill! Awesome machine!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Drawdown wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:39 pm Not me, I've got a Donk, I mean Appalachian Mule. Fill it with feed before leaving and it'll still have near half a belly full long after my butts done for. Hunting, fishing, long days camping, and it stays where I tie him up. This pic this morning shooting, a makeshift shooting bench added.20240529_112054.jpg

I thought DDonk was urban slang for a 70's to 80's sedan all jacked up on 28" chrome wheels with metalflake paintjobs! :lol:

That is an impressive looking rifle however, sir !
----- Doug
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Yeah you right, that's "The Mule"! It and that rifle do their jobs well!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"