Intresting events !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Intresting events !

Post by 6pt-sika »

We had the usual thirty bird 8 gauge five stand event at the Southern this year . Now there’ll be a thirty bird on the course 8 gauge event at Hausemann’s Hidden Hollow Sporting Clays June 7-9 . Then as usual at the end of July Rock Mountain Sporting Clays will have two 8 gauge events , the usual thirty bird five stand event and a thirty bird on the course event . Then last but not least in early October at the Vintage Cup this year to be held at Hopkins Sporting Clays in MD the now annual 25 bird five stand 8 gauge event . I suspect by the time it’s all said and done I’ll shoot them all .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Intresting events !

Post by GunnyMack »

There must be a lot more 8s out there than we thought if all of these venues are having events. That's cool!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well I am envious. 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:40 am There must be a lot more 8s out there than we thought if all of these venues are having events. That's cool!
An event will get 10-18 entrants typically . While that may not sound like a lot the 24 and 32 gauge events get perhaps 2-6 entrants in each gauge . The fellow that owns Rock Mountain owns one of the 8’s that used to be in my possession so that helps as he’s the first to have two 8 gauge events at a single shoot . Hausemann’s technically will have two this year but only one put on by them and the other is a kinda bragging rights thing put on at the Bo-Whoop thing by the A.H.Fox collectors group .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:48 am Well I am envious. 8)
Come join us shoot all this stuff and then tell me if you’re still envious . The wear and tear on my shoulders from years and years of shotgun rifle heavy recoil are slowly beginning to take their toll . As long as I take a couple weeks between events it isn’t so bad , but if I did it week after week for most spring summer I’d not be fit to shoot feathered birds come hunting season lols !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:29 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:48 am Well I am envious. 8)
Come join us shoot all this stuff and then tell me if you’re still envious . The wear and tear on my shoulders from years and years of shotgun rifle heavy recoil are slowly beginning to take their toll . As long as I take a couple weeks between events it isn’t so bad , but if I did it week after week for most spring summer I’d not be fit to shoot feathered birds come hunting season lols !
I'm there with you, even 150 rounds of 24gram bunker loads I feel anymore. Also why I adore my 28ga bird guns so much.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I shot Rock Mountain once years ago if I remember right... in the Poconos?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:36 pm I shot Rock Mountain once years ago if I remember right... in the Poconos?
Susqhuehanna county little further west .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

[quote=GunnyMack post_id=992848 time=1715283346 user_id=79437
[/quote]
I'm there with you, even 150 rounds of 24gram bunker loads I feel anymore. Also why I adore my 28ga bird guns so much.
[/quote]

When I shoot Colombaire is fifteen birds a day two shots each bird or lost . If I bring the bird down with the first shot the second barrel is fired in the air off my shoulder 1 1/4 ounce flyer loads are stout at 1350 fps . When we shot box bird quail in January I shot light skeet load in the first barrel and a pigeon load in the second barrel . With quail you don’t have to shoot twice so oughtta the 20 birds I’d usually shot five or six second shots . Sometimes I might miss and the bird was about out the ring so I’d not pull the second barrel . Before you laugh box bird quail are harder than one thinks .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We don't shoot box birds but I can tell you as the birds get smaller the hit ratio goes down! The guys in our club don't like chukar and Hungarian partridge. Why? Because they can't shoot worth beans. I watch them miss nice easy straight away chukars with their 12s & 20s , two shots and I'll poke my little 410 out and clean up with kills at sometimes more than 40 yards.
Ya want to irritate a bird dog? Miss every bird that gets up! :lol:
And no I'm not laughing about quail from a box!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:50 am We don't shoot box birds but I can tell you as the birds get smaller the hit ratio goes down! The guys in our club don't like chukar and Hungarian partridge. Why? Because they can't shoot worth beans. I watch them miss nice easy straight away chukars with their 12s & 20s , two shots and I'll poke my little 410 out and clean up with kills at sometimes more than 40 yards.
Ya want to irritate a bird dog? Miss every bird that gets up! :lol:
And no I'm not laughing about quail from a box!
The first time I shot boxbird quail I wrongly thought it was gonna be a piece of cake NOT ! You start out 32 yards behind the nine boxes the outside of the ring is 16 yards in front of the boxes . I’ve killed quite a few straight away box bird quail that fell dead OUTSIDE the ring LOST . At the last quail boxbird match I attended a younger fellow went straight the first two races killed all 10 at the end of the four 5 bird races I beat this fellow by one or two birds , he killed 1-10 and then missed 11-15 . Think I had 13 and he had 12 . The guy that won high over all that day had a 14 . Think there were 34 competitors that day . Of the two Colombaire vs boxbirds I’d much rather shoot Colombaire .