Home-cured bacon is pretty bueno

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Home-cured bacon is pretty bueno

Post by Bill in Oregon »

More food. :lol:
Made my first home-cured bacon with a pork belly from H-E-B in Abilene. The recipe below from Amazingribs.com shows the simple ingredients, (Prague Powder No. 1 from the Zon) and according to the weight and thickness it needed to cure for 77 hours in the fridge, then onto the Traeger at 225 for smoke and an internal temperature of 150 (I went to 155).
Looked great when I pulled it off the smoke yesterday, and it fried up beautifully this morning for breakfast. (The darker slice is the rind edge.) This really is an easy recipe -- literally just a few minutes' hands-on work.

https://amazingribs.com/.../pork.../smo ... ade-bacon/

ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Home-cured bacon is pretty bueno

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Looks great to me Bill.

The only time I get bacon is on the weekends-----guess I'll have to wait until I'm retired to cook it on weekdays.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Looks good Bill :D but it reminded me of the old joke " our grocery store has a sign saying don't sit your baby on the bacon slicer as we are getting behind in our orders".
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks great to me Bill!
Best bacon I ever had was from a big ol cut boar I shot on one of those game farms. I had it cured and smoked by the butcher. Just fantastic flavor. The pig had 18lb hams and they had to cut them in order to wrap fir the freezer. Oh the ribs.... man now I wanna go shoot a pig!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Mmmmmm BACON BACON BACON!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

bacon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I've made bacon from scratch before, I've been waiting for the price of bellies to come back to earth though, but I may have to cave. lol
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gcs, there was no cost savings with the belly at $5.39, but I wanted to try the process. Glad I did and I look forward to changing up the recipe. I believe there are 18 such on the Amazing Ribs bacon page.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Bill, I've found that the basic recipe is about as good as it gets, you can try other spices, maple syrup instead of sugar, etc., but usually the extra flavors gets lost in the curing process.
It's good to experiment though as long as you keep the correct ratio of the pink curing powder.

Next one I try will have juniper berry in the spice mix to try and get a Black Forest flavor