Indulge me another recipe post

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Indulge me another recipe post

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have toyed with historical re-enacting over the years with muzzleloading firearms and one of the best sources for close to period-correct clothing and equipment is Townsend's. Jonathan Townsend has posted some very good Youtubes on 18th and 19th century topics that are well worth watching. But this one caught my eye after I had posted about the origins of deep frying on a black powder forum. I plan to try this recipe here soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfORR5ffuY&t=1s

And if y'all wan't a good chuckle, I am wearing straight-lasted buckle shoes, hose and shirt from Townsends in this photo my ex took of me 9 years ago with a club-butt fowler built by Mike Brooks of Iowa. :lol:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Indulge me another recipe post

Post by Bill in Oregon »

By the way, those fall-front knee breeches came to me used, and I wouldn't have chosen pink, although it was not only correct for the period but considered downright high class. Shortly after this I dyed them in home-made walnut hull dye to a nice light brown. I have to say this clothing was very comfortable to wear. You get used to the straight-lasted shoes in a very short time as they adapt to your feet. Still have that low-crowned hat made for me by the wonderful Tim Bender, now retired.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Thanks for the video....now I'm cravin' some crispy fried chicken...fried in Lard in a cast iron skillet over an oak wood fire.....

Everything tastes better fried in Lard instead of some chemical concoction called "vegetable oil".
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:10 am By the way, those fall-front knee breeches came to me used, and I wouldn't have chosen pink, although it was not only correct for the period but considered downright high class. Shortly after this I dyed them in home-made walnut hull dye to a nice light brown. I have to say this clothing was very comfortable to wear. You get used to the straight-lasted shoes in a very short time as they adapt to your feet. Still have that low-crowned hat made for me by the wonderful Tim Bender, now retired.
Handy rigging because you can switch to the barn boots without having to deal with the cuffs . . .

Speaking of recipes, I am looking for a cracker recipe for whole wheat flour. Something like a large saltine without salt on top. I found a perfect example on an airplane flight but I ate it! Baked, but slightly toasted on each side, and no holes . . . which makes me wonder about the process. I am looking for something that I can make in a camp skillet as well as a dutch oven at home. Any ideas ? Thinking maybe a tortilla press to get consistently flat pieces. I know nothing about this, and my unleavened bread was challenging to consume, so I'm prospecting for info, TIA

P.S. Fried chicken from 1736 should be in a museum at Washington's Estate . . . :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always wanted buckskin to hunt in during muzzle loader season but never went so far as to have them made.

Look at GOOD EATS, Alton Brown made a cracker show.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!