Dickey Betts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Dickey Betts

Post by Drawdown »

Saw where Dickey Betts died few days ago. Anyone not familiar with him, he was a member of the Allman Brothers Band, if my memory is correct? He and Duane Allman started the band in about? 1970? But Duane died long ago, and I assume Greg Allman has been their leader since, again correct if I'm wrong? But Greg died I think aprox 2 years ago. I read where the black guy drummer, was only one left now.
But best my knowledge, they where the first seed&roots of Southern Rock Bands, a music that's in my blood to like, graduated HS in 77. But from them sprang a bunch more in hurry, my favorite, Marshal Tucker Band, Pure Prairie League with Vince Gill, Lyrnard Skynard, and more. But I sure did and still do sometimes enjoy listening. Dickey singing and them playing "Seven Turns" is my favorite of theirs! Dickey I know was a biwhunter, even on television with Byron Ferguson. I reckon Dickey taught Byron's boy to play guitar or helped, and Byron returned by plenty help with the Longbow.
But I'm sure he was a very likeable man, Lotta people really liked him! God Bless his family!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dickey Betts

Post by Ray »

As much as I like "dreams" and "whipping post" , there is no denying that betts' "blue sky", "jessica" and "rambling man" fall more gently on the ear and definitely made them a commercial success.

When you watch the various documentaries on the band you get the distinct impression that the other members did/do not give betts the respect that he deserved. Just looking at the numbers of songs that he wrote and then consider that he essentially composed quite a few others that he was not given credit for, then you see his undeniable contributions to their successes. Then they seemed to shun/fire him in the band's latter years. Sad, sad.....

I've been watching the sons lately.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2yHMUUK ... IGJhbmQ%3D

That Johnny Stachela can really bend the strings.....
m.A.g.a. !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great band...and great guitar player.
Saw them a couple of times at Univ of Florida.
I think they started here in Daytona.....but mainly in Jax
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

While the Allman Brothers Band spawned many more i to the Southern Rock genre, nobody could match their sound. And nobody could match the Dicky Betts and Duane Allman duo on guitar.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I graduated High School in 1979, so I have been a fan of ABB and most of the Southern Rock bands from the 60's, 70's and early 80's.
It is sad that we are losing so many of those great musicians from that era. Thet are sorely missed. God Bless his famly.

JBowen