Skinner Sights on Marlin 1894 CL.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Skinner Sights on Marlin 1894 CL.

Post by LeverGunner »

I don't see the allure of Skinner sights. They lack one important feature, the ability to quickly adjust the elevation. It's common for me to adjust my barrel-mounted sights for different loads or distances, like 38 Specials to 357 Magnum, or 25 yards to 75 yards. Once I get the notches figured out for the loads I use the most, and the ranges I use them at most, it's easy and fast to make the adjustment. Then, I either record the settings or use the gun enough that I can remember.

Perhaps that ain't common for folks anymore, and that is why the Skinner is so popular?

So... how do you regulate your skinner sight?

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Skinner Sights on Marlin 1894 CL.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Skinner sights tend to lead to more precise shooting for my uses.

The one I have on my Marlin Cowboy also slips in and out of the saddle scabbard easily without gouging. So I prefer the version with the protective wings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Although almost all my revolvers and lever actions have adjustable sights, I tend to move them only when I'm changing loads. I keep my target perched on top of the front sight and raise it in relation to the apeture center when I'm shooting at greater distance than what the gun is sighted in at. It works for me.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really prefer the aperture sight in the form of the Williams FP, due to the reasons you cite. Mounted on the front two receiver holes of a Marlin 1894, they are quite compact and durable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Could be that the thing I value is ruggedness. The sights on my .30-30 are fixed and haven’t been touched in more than 40 years.

Originally sighted for Winchester 170 gr Silvertips which have long been discontinued.

But it’s close enough to Remington 170 gr Coreloct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't move my sights on rifle or sixgun. I prefer fixed sights on the sixgun and with the leverguns I set the sights to the load that is the 'do-it-all' and leave 'em alone.

If you are doing load development or experimenting with different bullets and powder I can understand wanting easy-to-move sights. I don't do that anymore and haven't in many many years.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:00 pm I don't move my sights on rifle or sixgun. I prefer fixed sights on the sixgun and with the leverguns I set the sights to the load that is the 'do-it-all' and leave 'em alone.

If you are doing load development or experimenting with different bullets and powder I can understand wanting easy-to-move sights. I don't do that anymore and haven't in many many years.

Well done Jim……what you wrote is called “Wisdom”. I do the same but leave my adjustable sighted revolvers alone. Knowledgable shootists will know what to do with the front sight if they stick in a hot/different load.——006

As for Skinner sights, all metallic sights are made for a specific purpose…….i don’t know what Skinners are made for but Lyman’s, Marbles, along with specialty small, niche, manufacturers make their sights for the job on hand…and that’s a lot and would take volumes to complete.

Skinner Sights have an excellent reputation but I’m not familiar with them.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never had a Skinner sight, but I know a lot of people like them. I have and use a lot of receiver sights, but most are 56 and 66 Lymans. I have one Williams Foolproof that works well.
Closest i have to the Skinner concept is this XS ghost ring mounted on a 94 Trapper in 44. I must say I really like it. It simply disappears when sighting and doesn't impede peripheral vision at all. It seems robust too. Like the Skinner, if you like to play with your zero or make adjustments for different loads, you won't like it. I don't move mine so it works for me.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I fine tune my adjustments on the Skinner and then loctite the sight in place. The one on my Marlin Cowboy hasn’t moved since I sighted it in.

I use the factory front bead for fine adjustment due to range.

I have the sights set for a 158 gr XTP over 14.5 gr 2400 and a small rifle primer.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not only are Skinner sights streamlined, but they are bombproof strong.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Interesting replies, thanks all. I had not consider the ruggedness of the sights.

I don't particularly like receiver mounted peeps, but I do like tang mounted peeps, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Particularly this one.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Great pictures, Scott.....thanks!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tang mounted sights are the best combination between target and hunting sights……..longer eye relief and faster acquisition….

Their Achilles Heel is their vulnerability to damage from dropping, etc. For target shooting and a person with young eyes, there’s little difference between between a scope out to 300 meters or so. Skinner sights are made for hunting…..durable and about the same as a scope for up to 200 meter shooting…in other words, “minute of kill area”.

I’ve used about every available metallic sight known to man extensively but as old age creeped up on me, I like scopes now. Only quality scopes like Nightforce or upper end Leopolds.

A cheap $99 scope is about the same as using a Rossi for your shooting needs. That’s why NASCAR drivers don’t use Volkswagen air cooled engines…….period….junk is junk and always will be junk….goes the same for Italian guns…….

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I use tang sights on leverguns kind of like glass magnifying optics; great for precision and yet there is a 'fragility' tradeoff.

The most rugged sights are things like the rear sight on the old Mini-14's, but for leverguns when I want 'rugged' I do love the Marbles 'Bullseye' sights - they are second to none in SPEED - better than a red-dot on an AR is. Yet the inner of the two rings does allow a precision as good as the normal 'aperture' sights. I do wish there were a more easily-adjustable version, but like others have said, most of the time I figure up a good load, sight in for it, then don't really shoot any other loads from that gun (boring, I know). There are exceptions - I tend to fiddle around endlessly with my 32-20 Marlin 1894, so I have a Williams FP 'Target' model on that, although I did put a regular screw in the windage adjustment, since I mostly tweak elevation as I shift bullet weights and loads.

The top-mounted 'Marlin 336' version of the Williams FP works well on the 1894 in the front holes though, and is nearly indestructable, and that FIRST (and sometimes 'only') sighting-in is so much easier than with others like the Skinner, that I find it worth using.

I like NKJ's (from the forum here) Skinner-like sight that replaces the 'safety' on the Rossi bolt though. Seems to be a good way to get rid of a poorly-designed (and I think UN-safe) part and turn it into something useful.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Great pictures, Six....thanks!
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Thanks for all the replies. I had overlooked the need for ruggedness for a wilderness gun. Course, none of my guns see much wilderness. I have broken a rear sight by knocking a rifle (winchester 94) out of a chair once though.

Sixgun, that is very nice guns you're showing there, thanks.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

On the two sets I have they are both adjustable.
It is not the critic who counts