Looking at a Kimber 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Looking at a Kimber 1911

Post by 2ndovc »

I was chatting with an old friend that works a couple days a week at one of my favorite shops. While we were BSing I noticed a long slide 1911 in one of the display cases.
Turned out to be a 10mm Kimber Target LS and I was really taken with it. The trigger is fantastic, nice big black adjustable rear sight and a 6" barrel long slide that I've always wanted. The front sight has to go, but it's an easy change.
I had a Kimber a really long time ago and it took two trips to the factory to get it to feed correctly, but only with 230 gr JRN bullets. Traded it off and haven't had one since.
I have a couple of friends that think they are the cat's behind, but I didn't buy it. However, I can't stop thinking I really need one.

What's been your experiences with Kimber 1911s?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Looking at a Kimber 1911

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I had a Kimber that I carried at work at the shooting range for a few months. It shot wonderfully and had no issues whatsoever. I quit carrying it because it was a bit heavier than was comfortable for daily wear, and I hated to see it banged around as I hopped in and out of trucks, tractors and backhoes.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Bill, That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

I've always been a fan of the 10mm, but it seems to have gotten to be an obsession lately. :D

jb 8)

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have an early Kimber; it's probably the most reliable of my four 1911s.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I had an early Kimber that was reliable and accurate.

But the ones I have tried in recent years have been a mix. Shame too because Kimber really takes the sharp edges off. I sure like that.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I've had 4 of them, all pre-Series II guns. Kimber's slides and frames are good quality and the early guns were well put together, though QC started to slide right around Y2K. Their biggest issue outside of sometimes sloppy assembly is longevity of the MIM parts. The surface hardening of the MIM hammer and (especially)the sear wears through pretty quickly. The original first series guns had Chip McCormick parts that while also MIM, I feel they were a little tougher than the post-Chip stuff.

The original Oregon marked gun never had an issue and went 4000 rounds without ever experiencing a stoppage or malfunction of any kind. The majority of rounds downrange from that one were 6.5 Unique over a 200SWC though it also digested plenty of Ball and various hollowpoints.

An early full size stainless picked up used with only a couple hundred rounds through it had a hitch in its step. Polished the tip of the disconnector and stoned the Les Baer bevel on the bottom corner of the slide/breechface (it had none) and that one ran smoothly with no other work.

The trigger pull of the Target Model went south at around 7000 rounds, sear angles completely worn and rounded off. Magazine catch wore out around the same time as the trigger. Replaced catch, hammer and sear with Wilson tool steel parts and it's currently still running. Out of the box it needed a little work on the throat to feed reliably. Current round count is around 10k. Still running the original MIM slide stop, waiting to see if that's going to break.

#4 was an early Stainless Compact, don't recall any issues other than it didn't like SWC's. Not surprising in an abbreviated format 1911. Ran slick with 230TC's.
Last edited by samsi on Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have a Kimber Pro Raptor 2 that's been great so far. I only have a few hundred rounds through it but it's been 100% reliable and very accurate.
NRA Life Member
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I carried a Kimber 1911 the last several years of my LE career. I put thousands of rounds through it every year. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the spring when it wore out.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My son carries a Kimber Pro Carry II in 45 ACP. Been flawless in the 7 years he's carried it. Luckily, only used on the range...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a Kimber 1911 6” in 10mm for awhile . Bought it NIB shot it some with jacketed reloads and a lot more with cast reloads . Bought the thing because I wanted to kill a deer with it but never got around to it . I never fooled with anything but 180 and 200 grain projectiles .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:22 pm Jason, roam around here:
https://www.1911forum.com/forums/kimber.27/
Looks like those guys like the ones they have. The responses above seem to be generally favorable.

Tooled around Gunbroker for a while. The only other long slide 10mm that interested me was the Dan Wesson at twice the price. Though there are several made in the Philippians that were interesting and significantly less money, I don't know anything about them.
I'll probably take a "shot" with the Kimber and see how it goes, unless I come across another option.

jb 8)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

:oops: The 10mm bug is real.

There was an RIA (Armscor) in the gun case at my favorite dealership, secondhand for 175 less than a new one

I went there yesterday, determined that if it was still there, I was going to take it home. I currently have a Glock 29 and 20. - Due to their light weight, they are both exceedingly snappy and I want to try a heavier 1911 format. I don’t have much curiosity about any of the other striker fired 10’s out there like the Springfield or Sig X-10.

Alas - or thankfully- the RIA and a bolt gun I had been pondering , were gone when I got there. Someone saved me a lot of money

- The Sig p220’s chambered in 10mm are no joke either! I loved mine- was a SAO model. Sold it in a fit of shoulder surgery induced poverty but I have a spot in the safe for one if the right deal ever comes up.
----- Doug
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

My motorcycle riding buddy recently bought an RIA 1911 in 10mm. The first time out it became obvious that the ambidextrous safety contacted the knuckle of the trigger finger after a couple of shots, putting the gun out of action. I removed the right hand safety and the problem was resolved. It seems like a well-made pistol but could use some trigger work as it is quite rough and heavy. Also, that guide rod is a pain in the neck.
Last edited by Walt on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, on that same forum you will find a subforum dedicated to the RIA/Armscor guns (and one dedicated to Tisas). The only 10s I have owned were Glock Model 40 MOS longslides.
I have been favorably impressed by the Tisas 1911s and am looking hard at the bob-tailed lightweight commander-sized Stingray, but in .45. Tisas has used forged slides and frames all along, but last year committed to eliminating all MIM parts in their 1911s. They do make 1911s in 10mm.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

My full size CDP (Aluminum frame) has never had a malfunction. Both hands, either hand, dirty Russian steel cases, soft swaged lead bullets, JHPs, fmj, does not matter. They get a lot of flack as a brand, but my 1911 is a great pistol.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Walt wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:22 am My motorcycle riding buddy recently bought an RIA 1911 in 10mm. The first time out it became obvious that the ambidextrous safety contacted the knuckle of the trigger finger after a couple of shots, putting the gun out of action. I removed the right hand safety and the problem was resolved. It seems like a well-made pistol but could use some trigger work as it is quite rough and heavy. Also, that guide rod is a pain in the neck.

LOL - i know its not a Kimber like Jason is looking at, but looks like i'm getting another shot at an RIA -- one of the Tac-10's popped up for $475 -- just 2 days after i missed the one at the gun shop for $550 that i remarked about earlier in the thread
. Somebody somewhere must like me. -- least expensive Kimber 10 i have found is around $800.

I know i like the 1911 - just dont know if i like the 1911 in 10mm yet - the RIA will get me in the door to see if its worth keeping an eye out for a Kimber, or a Colt Delta

The only rub is i'm going to have to drive a bit to get it , but i'll take my mountain bike and try to get in some multi-tasking if the weather cooperates
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Doug,

I'm betting you might like the 1911 in 10mm. I have an original issue Delta that's one of my favorites. I had another, years ago that was heavily customized that would chew the centers out of the target at 25 yds. I'd bought it from a friend's estate and ended up selling it about six months later. It just made me sad to see it and think about the loss of my friend. Now I really wish that i had kept it and just put it away for until I was ready to take it out again. I sold it to one of the members here, but can't remember his name and it's been a long time. Who knows if he would even still have it.

Anyway,
I'm hoping to pick up a Kimber this week, but it's already looking like it's going to a busy one.
Been kind of obsessed with the 10mm for years, but it seems like that obsession is getting away from me.
I haven't even shot the new M&P with the extended barrel, muzzle break. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I like the thought of a 1911 10mm but recently saw a video of Bill Wilson talking to Ken Hackathorn about this very topic. He is not a fan of 1911s in 10mm (as well as not being a fan of any semi auto pistol chambered for it for that matter) saying the 10mm is too high pressured of a round that beats the pistols up too much. Once I heard that, my heart sunk and decided not to buy one based on his expertise. I do have a S&W 1006 10mm and really like it but have not shot it enough to have had any issues. If it's true what Bill says, the my guess is that most 10 mm shooters do not fire theirs a lot either.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

kaschi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:48 am I like the thought of a 1911 10mm but recently saw a video of Bill Wilson talking to Ken Hackathorn about this very topic. He is not a fan of 1911s in 10mm (as well as not being a fan of any semi auto pistol chambered for it for that matter) saying the 10mm is too high pressured of a round that beats the pistols up too much. Once I heard that, my heart sunk and decided not to buy one based on his expertise. I do have a S&W 1006 10mm and really like it but have not shot it enough to have had any issues. If it's true what Bill says, the my guess is that most 10 mm shooters do not fire theirs a lot either.

How much are you planning to shoot it - people used to shoot k frame .357’s loose too, but doesn’t mean the gun can’t take it. Extreme use will wear out anything
----- Doug
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

^^^^this is why we developed 10mm lite, and then 41 AE and 40 S&W 35 years ago
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's no doubt that the 10mm is a powerful round and can be hard on 1911s, but it also depends on how you're loading it just like any other cartridge. Factory ammo can be really hot and one of the reasons I won't buy S&B again. I've had their 10mm damage a S&W 610 and when my dad borrowed my Delta to take to FL a couple of years ago, ran out of my handloads I told him not to buy any S&B, So, of course that's what he buys. Second magazine through the pistol, the bushing broke, the spring and plunger launch down range.
He had it checked out by a gunsmith and installed a new bushing, but that was the extent of it.
My target loads are usually a bit above what it takes to cycle the action reliably, My defensive loads are heavy, but not abusive and the round count for those is pretty light.
I like packing the 1911/ 10mm while hiking around the PA woods where one can easily encounter two or four legged creatures with bad attitudes. Things that I would rather not mess with while packing a .40 S&W. I have them and enjoy shooting the cartridge, but it's not a 10mm/.44/.45. That's why my question was about the manufacturer and not the cartridge. I know how to make that part do what I want or need.

jb 8)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:12 pm There's no doubt that the 10mm is a powerful round and can be hard on 1911s, but it also depends on how you're loading it just like any other cartridge. Factory ammo can be really hot and one of the reasons I won't buy S&B again. I've had their 10mm damage a S&W 610
jb 8)
Wow a 610? That’s a lot of steel around the chambers and bore. What happened?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Locked the action up tight on the 5th round. Had to tap the cylinder out with a small mallet. I'm not even sure how it got bound up so tight, possibly from the moon clip. The last remaining live round did not move, so it wasn't a bullet jump. Couldn't extract the clip without the mallet and drove the cylinder over the stop and bent the ejector rod.

Didn't intend to come off kinda grumpy earlier, been hurtin' all day and didn't realize my response came out like it did. No matter what I buy, it's going to outlive me, so I'm not too worried about long term wear and tear. :D

Jason

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:05 pm Locked the action up tight on the 5th round. Had to tap the cylinder out with a small mallet. I'm not even sure how it got bound up so tight, possibly from the moon clip. The last remaining live round did not move, so it wasn't a bullet jump. Couldn't extract the clip without the mallet and drove the cylinder over the stop and bent the ejector rod.

Didn't intend to come off kinda grumpy earlier, been hurtin' all day and didn't realize my response came out like it did. No matter what I buy, it's going to outlive me, so I'm not too worried about long term wear and tear. :D

Jason
Ugh, excessive brass setback I guess. I didn’t figure anything blew apart on a N frame.

No worries. We all have our favorites. I admired the 10mm from its start, but I never messed with it and took to the 40 in the early nineties, primarily to get a subcompact pistol. 45 ACP is my absolute favorite handgun cartridge though I have a few others.
Jeffrey A Pitts
Levergunner

Post by Jeffrey A Pitts »

Between my wife and I, I believe we have eight 1911 Kimbers. I have two of the Longslide Target model versions, one in .45ACP and the other 10mm.

No problems with any of them, except with the 10mm. It comes from the factory with an 18.5 lb recoil spring which sometimes isn't enough to put it back into battery. In my experience, it was usually one or two rounds out of a full magazine, but easily fixed. Changing out to a 20- or 21-pound spring usually solves the problem.

Accuracy is phenomenal in both of my Longslides. The nod at this point goes to the .45 for best groups, but I've got about 10K rounds through it, where the 10mm is at around 500. One-hole groups at twenty-five yards isn't uncommon for the former, but the latter will stay within 1 1/2" at twenty-five.

Hope my experiences with Kimber helps.
Author of:
Hitwoman
Husband of Hitwoman
Sanctioned Hitwoman
Finneus
Cable (to be released 2/2022)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Jason - you've had a bit of time to ponder that longslide -- did you bite on it?

This is the critter i was mentioning earlier in the thread= today was the day i met the gent who had this for sale

realizing it may be a tad gauche to discuss numbers --- but paid $475 -- had to drive from OKC to Tulsa though ---- so was actually $475 plus a tank of gas and i wont even worry about taking a day off work because the weather was very nice and i needed a day where i felt like i was on a mission of sorts

But i broke it down -----

This gun $475

cheapest equivalent on GB - $590 or so
Add tax - $60
Add shipping and FFL fee- $50 or so

-- basically $700 -- I paid $525 if i factor in the gas -- but writing off the time component (dont even want to go there)

Local dealership is selling these for $675 though - so if i compare to that the numbers and the trip looks better

But as an aside -- I met a pretty cool guy who works in a related profession (insurance underwriter) who has more 1911 experience than me - stated he bought this as a project gun when an online retailer was blowing them out for $450 years ago, but he settled on a Dan Wesson that already had all the bells and whistles he wanted so was trying to just get some money back and never fired it. Ive met a couple of forum members from here in the past too- one of which is not with us anymore - so sometimes you have to look at the personal exchange as part of the deal and not worry about gas or time because it is not the seller's problem if someone lives a few miles away

And for me --- be perfect for tinkering with this --- but after reading all the awesome reviews of these guns , i was a little taken aback at the fit and finish in comparison to my Sig Sauer 1911's --- heck with it - be a nice Cerakot project if it runs though

On this particular model - the ugly slide ornamentation is not as bad as some i have seen - but biy - the parkerizing looks spray painted on and i would like to make some kind of cerakote project out of this one if its a shooter\

Dogs are not nearly as impressed as i imagined them being

The Sig's --- by 1911 standards , these are budget models too, but the aesthetics are just in a different league ----- Ive read about 85% positive reviws of the RIA's though so i speculate it is a bit like the Rossi's in the levergun world -- mostly good, but some need a little tweaking here and there

----
Last edited by Streetstar on Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Streetstar wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 pm Dogs are not nearly as impressed as i imagined them being
Doug - Rub some bacon on it and I bet those pups will be impressed! :lol:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:13 pm
Streetstar wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 pm Dogs are not nearly as impressed as i imagined them being
Doug - Rub some bacon on it and I bet those pups will be impressed! :lol:

LOL ! One of them has gotten plenty of bacon for sure in her lifetime !
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Doug,

Funny you should bring this up. Number one son and I were out Sunday, one to deliver a freezer to a friend that we no longer needed and then to one of my favorite places to look over that Kimber again. My old friend was there long with his little brother BSing at one end of the counter, one's a firefighter and the other is a local sheriff's deputy and we all started chatting for a bit. While I was there, a guy was looking over a different Kimber and couldn't get the magazine back in place after clearing the pistol. He was smacking it pretty hard with still no go, then one of the counter guys gave it a try but still couldn't get it to seat properly. They tried one from a different mfg and though it gave some resistance, it did finally lock in place. that did it for me. No Kimbers.

Did some looking around, hoping they had a Ruger Redhawk w/ a 4" barrel, but didn't have one at the time. Looked at the short barreled Super Redhawk, but just don't care for it. I'll find something to obsess over shortly, I'm sure. I'll have to look at the RIAs while I'm at it.

The other reason we had gone bumming around on Sunday, I got some good news from the oncologist late Saturday. All the tests from the bone marrow biopsy were finally back. No Cancer! The issue is not a severe problem and easily treatable. :D

Jay,
The bacon crack made me laugh. My dogs would look like little sausages with feet if they could get their way. :shock:

jb 8)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:25 am

The other reason we had gone bumming around on Sunday, I got some good news from the oncologist late Saturday. All the tests from the bone marrow biopsy were finally back. No Cancer! The issue is not a severe problem and easily treatable. :D

Thats great news! I get nervous when folks close to my age have cancer scares --- i had my prostate screened a month ago (no issues thankfully)

IF you've already got a Delta , not sure if you would find much satisfaction with the RIA , - mainly from an aesthetics standpoint. I'm good with it for my purposes -- they do have a 6" model though that would be considerably less expensive than a Dan Wesson or something
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Doug! It's a huge weight off, for sure.

I looked at the RIAs and Girsans, nice pistols, and if I was just starting out with the 10mm, I think they would be a great option.
Not sure what I want now.

There's a good show coming up this weekend, I'll see if anything jumps out at me.

jb 8)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:55 pm Doug,

I'm betting you might like the 1911 in 10mm. I have an original issue Delta that's one of my favorites.

Been kind of obsessed with the 10mm for years, but it seems like that obsession is getting away from me.

I thought this was still an applicable thread for an update -- i finally bit the bullet on getting a real Colt when a fellow on one of my local shooting forums put his up for sale;

I know i just picked up an RIA with really nice features for a fair price a month and a half ago -- but this has been up there close to a "grail gun" of sorts for me since i was young and couldnt afford anything
-- ive seen reviews from a lot of guys pooh-poohing the Colt
"Its a barely upgraded GI model" "Its a Series 80" "tiny sights" - etc etc etc

Dont care - i just always thought they looked cool :lol: :lol: - came with a real nice Galco belt slide to boot ----- now to get both of these 1911's to the range which i plan to do today when i knock off work --- that and a Glock 29 Gen 5 i also picked up not too long ago

--- as you said - the 10mm obsession is real

----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Streetstar wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 pm

I'm betting you might like the 1911 in 10mm. I have an original issue Delta that's one of my favorites.

I thought this was still an applicable thread for an update -- i finally bit the bullet on getting a real Colt when a fellow on one of my local shooting forums put his up for sale;

I know i just picked up an RIA with really nice features for a fair price a month and a half ago -- but this has been up there close to a "grail gun" of sorts for me since i was young and couldnt afford anything

Dont care - i just always thought they looked cool :lol: :lol: - came with a real nice Galco belt slide to boot ----- now to get both of these 1911's to the range which i plan to do today when i knock off work --- that and a Glock 29 Gen 5 i also picked up not too long ago

Way Cool!

I did sell the short M&P. After shooting the Performance Center version, there was no going back. Looked over the Ruger 10mm / 1911 and was impressed with the fit and finish. Was going back to pick one up and got a killer deal on a lightly used 4" Redhawk .44 that I couldn't pass up.
I've been trying to get to the range, but the claims keep rolling in and some genius decided to send us all to Erie, PA for two weeks of training. Guess who gets to go first! Looking at the course outline, it says Fundamentals of construction and estimating. :shock:
I asked if I was going to be teaching. That's when the fight started. :D

Have fun with the Delta! Love mine.

jb 8)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 pm
Streetstar wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 pm

Way Cool!

I did sell the short M&P. After shooting the Performance Center version, there was no going back. Looked over the Ruger 10mm / 1911 and was impressed with the fit and finish. Was going back to pick one up and got a killer deal on a lightly used 4" Redhawk .44 that I couldn't pass up.
I've been trying to get to the range, but the claims keep rolling in and some genius decided to send us all to Erie, PA for two weeks of training. Guess who gets to go first! Looking at the course outline, it says Fundamentals of construction and estimating. :shock:
I asked if I was going to be teaching. That's when the fight started. :D

Have fun with the Delta! Love mine.

jb 8)

Took it to the range today and did a 1911 showdown between the Delta, the RIA 10mm (which has very nice sights), My Sig Sauer full sizew and Officers in .45 ACP --- also tagging along like carpet-baggers were my Glocks - a 20 and a 29 for comparison

I hate to say it, but i was throwing patterns with both 10mm 1911's and the Model 20 ---- odd to me that my best shooting came with the G29 and the Sig Officers model in .45 - both roughly the same external size -- and i also have full size hands - so much so that i used to think a single stack 1911 was "too small" vs a chunky Sig Sauer product or something

I heard you fellas up in the North were swamped -- here in Oklahoma we are still waiting for the real storms to roll in - I needed a mental break today to hit the range -- with the Aquisition of the Delta i called my old Army buddy and said - "You wanna shoot 1911's today?" and that was all it took -- he's retired so is usually ready to go at short notice at an advanced hour ---- we both agreed we need to put about a case of ammo apiece downrange before we can consider ourselves even remotely dangerous

I also brought a couple of wheelguns - so it was oddly satisfying to know that my shorty Smith 66 of recent acquisition can chew out the center of a target at 15 yards or so with full house .357's -- somewhat proving to me that my issues with the 1911's is not a recoil sensitivity issue -- and my old Colt Lawman is now spitting lead a bit so it needs a tune up, --- but i guess im a wheelgun guy at heart for the most part
----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I had one of the early Kimber 1911s and it was a fine gun. I put thousands of rounds through it with no complaints.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

From what I've read and heard from people that own the newer ones, it's hit an miss. The old Delta that I have has seen a lot of miles and still a great shooter. Really digging the new Performance Ctr. M&P 10mm. I haven't put it on paper yet, but I will as soon as I can catch a break. Definitely Minute of Water Bottle at 15 yds or so. Still want another 1911 in 10m for some reason that i can't explain. The ADD will kick in before long and I'll start obsessing over something else. WWI revolvers in .455 are a constant distraction as are .303 Enfields.

jb 8)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Kimber does recommend a break in. I don’t remember how many rounds, maybe 250. I did mine in one afternoon with steel cased Wolf which probably isn’t what Kimber had in mind. I had no problems. But I wonder if some of their bad reviews is guys taking a new pistol out the box and getting malfunctions. Kimber 1911s are made pretty tight unlike your average plastic blaster. Sometimes they need to be worn in.