70-150 winchester video

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

70-150 winchester video

Post by mickbr »

I know this was somewhat of a mythical round in the day but found this repro so to speak interesting. The fella claiming it gets better taylor knockout factor than 577 nitro is a bit miss-applied since that factor overly favors the fat 12ga. But still seems a lot of power. 4700ftlbs with a 900 grain bullet in a 12ga lever gun. :shock: 200 grain backpowder..

Would this be possible in a regular 12ga or is that chiappa strengthened in some way? way out of my depth with 12ga brass reloads or BP knowledge....

Anyway, vid below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JxWeQwhtA
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 70-150 winchester video

Post by .45colt »

Great video..WOW.. He needs to take that rifle to Africa. One thing for sure is that Guy can really take a beating. My targets are all happy to be killed with a 45-70 .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mickbr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:47 am I know this was somewhat of a mythical round in the day but found this repro so to speak interesting. The fella claiming it gets better taylor knockout factor than 577 nitro is a bit miss-applied since that factor overly favors the fat 12ga. But still seems a lot of power. 4700ftlbs with a 900 grain bullet in a 12ga lever gun. :shock: 200 grain backpowder..

Would this be possible in a regular 12ga or is that chiappa strengthened in some way? way out of my depth with 12ga brass reloads or BP knowledge....

Anyway, vid below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JxWeQwhtA
Needs pressure testing to know about the shotgun. Yeah, TKO is a little misleading. Dropping the diameter compares the ballistics, and the 577 stomps the 12Ga.
4_compare 12Ga to 577 Nitro.png
damage depends more on bullet hardness and structural integrity. i wouldn't enjoy shooting either one of them any more . .
grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not for me either, Grizz. Much more than 25 foot-pounds of recoil and I fly the white flag these days.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

900 grs +220gs + steel butt = OUCH QUIT IT!
No thanks, I'll pass.

The slo-mo shows how the recoil ripples down through his back.

I'm sure there isn't an animal that would take too many of those before giving up!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Taylor’s sells the Chiapa 1887 for almost $1800. Wow. In all honesty, that shotgun, with an additional rifled choke tube and some kind of rifle sights would suit me far better. Could still play with black powder slug loads. And any 12 gauge 2 3/4” load, light or heavy.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good video. Thots ->

gun is too unreliable for DG imo

bullet is wrong shape and wrong hardness for DG imo

a lion would have killed that guy imo

but I never hunted the DG that surrounded me when i was deer hunting and don't know what i am opinionated about, imo

LOL grizz
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The speakers on my computer are not the best and neither is my hearing.

Did I hear correctly about the shotgun being sent to Romano for some work?? If so, I wonder what was done. I looked through the comments for any information but could not find anything or I missed it.

Call me crazy, foolish, etc., but I do not think that I will try that in my 1888 M1887 Winchester.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

From what I can gather the work done must have been a rebarrel to a rifled 70-150, he said on another video the case is just the 12ga brass necked down to a true 70cal. I tried to google the company he mentioned but the link was dead. Maybe the whole thing is not as it seems
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

junkbug wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:15 pm Taylor’s sells the Chiapa 1887 for almost $1800. Wow. In all honesty, that shotgun, with an additional rifled choke tube and some kind of rifle sights would suit me far better. Could still play with black powder slug loads. And any 12 gauge 2 3/4” load, light or heavy.
https://www.raytrade.com.au/product/chi ... 22-rifled/

There you go - chiappa has something close.
mickbr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:25 am From what I can gather the work done must have been a rebarrel to a rifled 70-150, he said on another video the case is just the 12ga brass necked down to a true 70cal. I tried to google the company he mentioned but the link was dead. Maybe the whole thing is not as it seems
Yeah it’s just a rebarreled 12g, from .729 to .700. Bugger all difference, really, and it’s nothing a 12g can’t equal. Looks cool though and I’d like one :D
As for the link - yeah, but I wonder if it’s just the company doesn’t have much online presence or he’s trying to be the only guy on YouTube with one?
mickbr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:47 am Would this be possible in a regular 12ga or is that chiappa strengthened in some way? way out of my depth with 12ga brass reloads or BP knowledge....
It’s not strengthened as far as I know, just a rebarrel and maybe some action work.
Certainly has dismal reliability unfortunately.
I’d love to see him rapid fire a full mag tube.