Civil War conicals in the Colt 1860

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Civil War conicals in the Colt 1860

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had a chance to shoot a group each with the Eras Gone Johnston and Dow and the Eras Gone Kerr in my Uberti 1860 fluted-cylinder .44 this afternoon. I had hand-lubed them by rubbing an SPG clone into the lube grooves -- only one on the Johnston and Dow. The latter bullet was pretty fiddly to get into the cylinder mouth because of its longer nose, and I had to be careful to keep that nose below the mouth of each chamber. The stubby little Kerr was much easier to handle and seat. I fired the groups from 25 yards rest over my chronograph. The load consisted of 22 grains by weight of Triple 7 FFF, sparked by ancient CCI No. 11 caps given a pinch to stay on the nipples. Oddly, the Kerr, just two grains lighter than the Johnston and Dow at 226 grains, gave a higher average velocity of 826 fps than the J&D at 801 fps. But the Kerr also gave me a five-inch-plus group vs. the 2 3/4-inch group yielded by the J&D. Both groups were about 11-12 inches above the point of aim -- common in my experience with the Colt open tops.
I'll shoot more groups in the near future, but at this point, it is pretty clear my Uberti prefers the Johnston and Dow over both the Kerr and the round ball. And to keep things in perspective, the J&D is virtually duplicating the muzzle velocity and speed of John Browning's .45 ACP.
This was my first outing with this Uberti 1860. It is rather stiff -- perhaps the famous arbor issue -- and sucked a few caps.
Kudos to Jefferson Arsenal for selling me 30 each of the J&D and Kerr for this purpose, and of course to Mark Hubbs of Eras Gone for bringing molds for these historic bullets to the market.

British Kerr on the left, Johnston and Dow on the right.

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Civil War conicals in the Colt 1860

Post by Pat C »

Nice shooting ,I'd say it would trickey loading these
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pat, both are heeled bullets, but even then they are still a bit tricky. Both were provided in large quantities of loaded paper cartridges in the "recent unpleasantness."
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nice work Bill. I still prefer the round ball but not because it shoots better .. I just like them. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you had fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill -

I have both molds and really enjoy them. I also have EGB's dragoon mold. The heels help in loading, just like the originals, and really make using them in paper cartridges a breeze. Unfortunately a paper cartridge using the J&D bullet is darn near impossible to load in the Italian replicas without modifying the loading "port" or "window" to better match the originals. At least while loading the cylinder on the gun - no issues off the gun. I still have the modification on my "to do" list. I did modify or replace all of the Pietta rammers to a conical profile (the originals used this, and the Uberti's do as well).
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jay, yes, Mike Beliveau --"Duelist 54" on Youtube -- shows those loading port modifications. I'm tempted to try this as well. I had forgotten just how much punch the 1860 offered. Wonderful sixgun!
Have you done anything about raising the front sights on your cap and ball Colts?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 am Jay, yes, Mike Beliveau --"Duelist 54" on Youtube -- shows those loading port modifications. I'm tempted to try this as well. I had forgotten just how much punch the 1860 offered. Wonderful sixgun!
Have you done anything about raising the front sights on your cap and ball Colts?
Front Sights on 1851 Navy and 1862 Police
IMG_2.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, but you have talented hands, see? 8)
You are as good at gunsmithing as you are at hermeneutics.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I like those front sights.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 am Jay, yes, Mike Beliveau --"Duelist 54" on Youtube -- shows those loading port modifications. I'm tempted to try this as well. I had forgotten just how much punch the 1860 offered. Wonderful sixgun!
I've seen the same videos :) When I get brave enough to do the project, I will rewatch the videos a dozen times.

I actually have an old kit that I put together for a Pietta "Reb" (a brass-framed 1851 in .44) that I will learn on. My plan is to enlarge the window, replace the front sight with a taller one using a dovetail like Jim has done, and even try my hand with a draw file and remove those obnoxious Pietta markings (also like Jim has done).