My Great-Great-Great Grandfather

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

My Great-Great-Great Grandfather

Post by JBowen »

I was cruising the net looking for some information on an old cemetery where some of my kin are buried and found a link to a site called
"findagrave". I searched for my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Eli T. Brison ( He was from Tennessee) because I did not know where he was buried at. Turns out he is buried in Andersonville Prison Cemetery, Andersonville Ga. He was a Union soldier in the B Cav 7 Tenn, so I am assuming he was a prisoner of war and died there in 1864. I don't know anything else. I do know it was a terrible place.

All of my other relatives that I have traced to being in the Civil War were Confederates from Arkansas.

Anyway, I have another piece of my family puzzle to try to piece together and thought I would share.

JBowen
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My Great-Great-Great Grandfather

Post by Rockrat »

Glad you could at least find another piece of the puzzle of your family's history.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is interesting but very sad, from what I have read Andersonville was not a place anyone would want to end up in.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have made a lot of ancestral family connections thanks to Find-a-Grave. Very useful site. Sorry to hear your GGGGF perished in that horrible place.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:18 am That is interesting but very sad, from what I have read Andersonville was not a place anyone would want to end up in.
Same here, thanks for the info on the site.
It is not the critic who counts
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JBowen wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:48 pm I was cruising the net looking for some information on an old cemetery where some of my kin are buried and found a link to a site called
"findagrave". I searched for my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Eli T. Brison ( He was from Tennessee) because I did not know where he was buried at. Turns out he is buried in Andersonville Prison Cemetery, Andersonville Ga. He was a Union soldier in the B Cav 7 Tenn, so I am assuming he was a prisoner of war and died there in 1864. I don't know anything else. I do know it was a terrible place.

All of my other relatives that I have traced to being in the Civil War were Confederates from Arkansas.

Anyway, I have another piece of my family puzzle to try to piece together and thought I would share.

JBowen
I have a grand parent who survived Andersonville as a POW. I wonder if they knew one another?

grizz
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

JBowen wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:48 pm I was cruising the net looking for some information on an old cemetery where some of my kin are buried and found a link to a site called

JBowen
This article may be of interest:
https://www.seibelfamily.net/7th-tennee ... valry.html
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Bruce Scott wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:28 pm

JBowen
This article may be of interest:
https://www.seibelfamily.net/7th-tennee ... valry.html
Thanks, Bruce. That is something you don't read in our history books in high school. My GGGGF died in August 1864 during
the time of the most overcrowding. Probably will never know what the cause was.

JBowen
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Find A Grave comes up often in "hints" through Ancestry.com. I really like it. Having read some great (informative) obituaries, and some terrible ones, when I wrote my Mom's obituary a couple years ago I wrote it for her family and friends now, but to be a resource for our descendants a hundred years from now. :D

I had ancestors serving on both sides of the Civil War too. Family lore has the one serving in the Union having escaped from a Confederate prison, but I have yet to confirm it.