a bit more airplane talk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

a bit more airplane talk

Post by Grizz »

On the subject of the Bamboo Bomber this is a good read:
https://www.cessnaflyer.org/cessna-othe ... omber.html
otherwise known as the T50, it was rapidly replaced by airlines with surplus DC-3s after the war.

Eventually the DC-3s were replaced with the F-27, which Dad tolerated, but he didn't love it. There was some kind of a mechanical whine behind his head that gave him splitting headache, and he wrote a poem called "My Props Are Out of Sync" IN THE LOG. I misplaced that one somewhere, but here is his Ode to a Six Month Check:
Ode-To.JPG
2640 was the employee number the company assigned him, and he hated it so much that he got his street address changed to 2640, he got his phone number changed to 2640, AND HE SIGNED THE LOG 2640.

The Ode above was printed in the company yearbook published as the company was absorbed into Hughe's Air West . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: a bit more airplane talk

Post by JimT »

Great poem! :D
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I take it that your dad was a Bonanza Airlines pilot? I knew a few of the old Bonanza/Hughes guys. Most all are gone now, but they had some great stories.

I've only seen 2 flyable T50's that I can recall. One belonged to Frank Borman, who had a couple really neat airplanes and would bring one over to the Antique Airplane Assoc. Fly-Ins at Casa Grande.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

samsi wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 am I take it that your dad was a Bonanza Airlines pilot? I knew a few of the old Bonanza/Hughes guys. Most all are gone now, but they had some great stories.

I've only seen 2 flyable T50's that I can recall. One belonged to Frank Borman, who had a couple really neat airplanes and would bring one over to the Antique Airplane Assoc. Fly-Ins at Casa Grande.
O Wow . . . Yes, Dad was chief pilot in Phx, he flew that desk for a lotta years. Which guys do you remember? Not many people recall Bonanza, but it was our life after he left Anchorage and PNA.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Enjoyed the story!

Best plane ride I ever had was on a DC 3 in the late’70s.
We flew from St. Thomas, USVI to San Juan airport to catch a flight to Miami.
The pilot flew nice and low and my face was glued to the window the entire time. I’ll never forget that ride. For a thirteen year old kid, nothing could beat it.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"