The Semi-Annual Offering To The American Sun God

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Semi-Annual Offering To The American Sun God

Post by JimT »

No Virgins Will Be Sacrificed!
BUT
We are gonna have to roll our clocks back an hour so we can "save daylight."
Sorta like making your blanket longer by cutting off the top and sewing it to the bottom.
-sigh-
I don't know why we put up with this silliness.
I guess too many people are afraid to say "NO! We ain't gonna!"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Semi-Annual Offering To The American Sun God

Post by GunnyMack »

I have said and will continue to say it-
Change the clocks by half an hour and never change it again. That way everybody wins.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I never knew people changed the clocks until I was almost 20. Never lived anyplace that did it until I was in my late 30's. Lived most of my life where it was never done. Now here I am ...... :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And here I was thinking of the pain & suffering I endured at the dermatologist's as he burnt and cut cancer from my skin!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The worst part of this 'daylight savings ' is animals don't understand or comply by it. This morning my all three of my dogs were up at the normal 0500 but in the altered reality of DST I'm no up at 0400- it's going to take weeks before they get the new time.
Sure I'm still getting up at the same time but it's the principle of it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I always preferred the "spring forward" part and when a lad used to daydream that Dad would forget to change the clocks and we would be so late for church that he would say, "Oh let's just go get hamburgers instead." Never happened.
Sixty years later and my 10-year-old's butt is still sore from squirming through the 45-minute messages on the rock maple pews we had at the First Christian Church in Tacoma. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:23 am I always preferred the "spring forward" part and when a lad used to daydream that Dad would forget to change the clocks and we would be so late for church that he would say, "Oh let's just go get hamburgers instead." Never happened.
Sixty years later and my 10-year-old's butt is still sore from squirming through the 45-minute messages on the rock maple pews we had at the First Christian Church in Tacoma. :lol:
When I was about 12 my butt was sore from my Dad taking me to the basement and giving me a whipping for laughing in Church. A friend and I would sit in the back and get out the hymnal and make up new song titles by adding the words "Under the Covers" to the existing title. Thus it was "Stand up for Jesus Under the Covers" ... it was all quite amusing until we got too carried away.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just amazed at how many are bothered by this or the supposed Indian quote, thousands of years, never thought of the wheel. :wink:

But the clock was set back to standard time, ahead is DST.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:03 am Just amazed at how many are bothered by this or the supposed Indian quote, thousands of years, never thought of the wheel. :wink:

But the clock was set back to standard time, ahead is DST.
Tru Dat, but Oh the arrogance of believing they can move people across 15° of Longitude, and disrespect the Prime Meridian!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Basically you are moving one time zone west in DST … originally for harvesting and farm work but also works for golf. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
-Bill O'Conner-
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:07 pm Basically you are moving one time zone west in DST … originally for harvesting and farm work but also works for golf. :wink:
it's an illusion . . . the distance from Greenwich remains the same, otherwise you would be far out to sea trying to paddle with a golf club! :lol:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

In our neck of the woods the whole of october is hazardous with dusky glare if you have to make a westerly commute between 1700 and 1800 and the "fall back" is most welcome. So, while it may not be "real", it can be a blessing if you are counting them.
m.A.g.a. !
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Instead of turning the clocks, why not start your day at 6am instead of 7am.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Every. Year.

Complaints are made, political critters make promises, nothing is done.

If we wanted to stay on 'regular' (non-advanced time) we can legally do it right now. Seems to work for Arizona and Hawaii.

But noooooo. Politicians want advanced, not that they care for us, but their business donors want that extra daylight in summer thinking they'll make more money that way.

For those of you who don't remember, we tried going to DST back in '74 and a lot of people hated it. Said it killed children in buses, too much darkness, blah, blah.

My former work days, had a lot of remote systems I had to change times on, which many times required a restart. Tense moments there sometimes waiting to see if they would correctly reboot.

Just please go to 'regular' time, do it for three years minimum. The world has changed and we're still dealing with a century old system that doesn't work anymore.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:19 pm In our neck of the woods the whole of october is hazardous with dusky glare if you have to make a westerly commute between 1700 and 1800 and the "fall back" is most welcome. So, while it may not be "real", it can be a blessing if you are counting them.
right over on the other hand, this causes commuters to deal with the "sun glare accident cause" twice each fall and spring. the time scam doubles the number of roll-overs, head-ons, and rear-end crashes that commuters indulge in...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, I guess the up side is that it's Miller time at 3, rather than 4 ... :lol:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:07 pm Basically you are moving one time zone west in DST … originally for harvesting and farm work but also works for golf. :wink:
Farmers work according to the sun regardless of what the clock says. Golfers can do the same.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I sort of think we let the clock dictate too much of our lives.

I think the folks in Pemba have a better idea of time.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:17 pm I sort of think we let the clock dictate too much of our lives.

I think the folks in Pemba have a better idea of time.
hearts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Frankly, I like the extra hour of sleep.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:17 pm I sort of think we let the clock dictate too much of our lives.
That we do.

Growing up in Indiana we never changed our clocks. Didn't start doing that until I moved to Michigan for work. Hated it then, and hate it now.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If it is so easy to turn the clocks back an hour why the heck can't we turn them back a decade :?: :o :shock: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes please, John! :lol:
Wait. I'd have to go through the second divorce again. Never mind ... :lol: