new 44 mag rossi wont feed specials

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

new 44 mag rossi wont feed specials

Post by mickbr »

I had been very lucky to date, 4 rossi rifles in both 357 and 44 mag over the years had digested specials as well as their full length magnum cases. Just picked up a 44mag with 24" barrel and was dissappointed my 44 special cast loads( RNFP) werent making to to the chamber. Well I guess it was bound to happen. 4 out of 5 isnt too bad a statistic. Im actually going to sell the rifle on account of this, I like the guns to be able to run both at speed.
JimT
Shootist

Re: new 44 mag rossi wont feed specials

Post by JimT »

mickbr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:46 am I had been very lucky to date, 4 rossi rifles in both 357 and 44 mag over the years had digested specials as well as their full length magnum cases. Just picked up a 44mag with 24" barrel and was dissappointed my 44 special cast loads( RNFP) werent making to to the chamber. Well I guess it was bound to happen. 4 out of 5 isnt too bad a statistic. Im actually going to sell the rifle on account of this, I like the guns to be able to run both at speed.
It is probable that the cartridge guides just need adjusted.
1.JPG
If there is excessive clearance, the lifting of the rear of the cartridge takes place later in the chambering stroke. The tighter the clearance the earlier the lifting takes place during the chambering stroke. Balky chambering .. where the lever must be jiggled back and forth a little to get the cartridge to chamber .. is often caused by excessive clearance at the rim end of the cartridge WHEN IT IS LAYING IN THE LIFTER, ready to be pushed.
2.JPG
3.JPG
I am not sure what the clearance is supposed to be. I am working with what I was told. But my personal experience has been that installing a shim on the right Cartridge Guide, just aft of the screw, smoothed the feeding. My Rossi rifle would not feed .357's smoothly. It hung up and I had to jiggle the lever a bit to get them to feed. Even roundnose bullets.

I called Steve Young and talked with him and he told me I needed to check the clearance of the right Cartridge Guide. He said it should be around .005” but that he bet it was a lot larger. I checked the clearance and the front clearance was fine but the rear was .015" or .016" as close as I could tell. I cut a small piece of shim from the .008" blade of my feeler guage and installed it. Immediately feeding was smooth and normal! The gun feeds Sem-Wadcutter bullets in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. I am happy with it.

The shim was installed so it would hold the rear of the right Cartridge Guide .. which means it was to the rear of the Guide screw. It was a very small piece. To hold it onto the Guide as I installed the Guide in the receiver I smeared some grease on the back of the Guide and pressed the shim into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks Jim for that tutorial. My Rossi .357 does just like you described yours. I have to jiggle the lever a little for .357's. but it
feeds 38 fine. I will see if I can remedy that problem.

JBowen
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

informative post Jim, thanks