Model 1873 22 long question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Model 1873 22 long question

Post by coyote nose »

Greetings. I picked up a round barrel Winchester 1873 in 22 long awhile back and am slowly rebuilding it. Lots wrong with it but the major thing was a completely broken bolt (breech piston as Winchester called it)....the head was plain old GONE! My hunch is someone used high speed ammo in it. Photos below (click to enlarge):
DSC06904.JPG
So I did a little machining, made a head:
DSC06942.JPG
DSC06941.JPG
With the help of a laser welder the replacement was welded on, then I machined it:
DSC06998.JPG
DSC07000.JPG
Am making the extractor now. My problem, besides very little time, is that I have no idea what the firing pin looks like on these. Here is my question. Does anybody out there have an 1873 in 22 that can take a photo of the bolt face showing the firing pin location and what it looks like? I know it was integral to the bolt face but despite an internet search I cannot find a photo of the bolt face. You dont have to take the gun apart....just cycle the bolt back and take a photo. I have some ideas what to do but no use re-inventing the wheel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Model 1873 22 long question

Post by Malamute »

You might try this question on the Winchester collectors forum. Theres no doubt a number of the 22 cal guns represented there.

I got to shoot one in the 80s, it was great fun, though of course a bit heavy.

Edit: from here https://winchestercollector.org/forum/g ... ong-parts/

A picture of the bolt face in hi res. Zoom it in.

https://winchestercollector.org/wp-cont ... -bolt.jpeg
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I checked the Mckrakin research library for original prints for the .22 and didn't find anything you need .They come up on ebay from time to time.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Thanks guys. PatC thanks for the effort, I appreciate it. Malamute....that photo was exactly what I needed. I didnt know if the protrusion was on the left, the right, or the bottom. Also didnt know the shape ...round or rectangular. I got it now. STILL can't understand how it actually worked in practice. That is, if the unfired cartridge sits in front of the firing pin, how can the extractor hold the cartridge? I'll find out soon enough I hope. Bought some 22 Long CBs which is the only ammo I would trust in it.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Coyote, maybe this will help. I put a new extractor on this from Winchester Bob's. It seems a bit too stiff and the guns still doesn't fire.
The firing pin protrusion is worn real bad too. It probably needs built up. I woud also like to find a new lifter/carrier as this is wallowed out pretty bad and will not feed from the magazine. If you need pictures at a different angle let me know.
Good luck with your project.
JBowen
IMG_0378.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.