New Ruger Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

New Ruger Single Six

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I found a new Ruger Single Six today while stomping about.

It appears s to be unfired with either cylinder.

I have a number of Old Models but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Single Six old model that didn’t have some wear on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Ruger Single Six

Post by Pat C »

Beautiful. You can't beat them.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

My old model definitely has wear on it! These are from '06, it's got a lot more miles on it since then. They are a lovely bit of squirrel hunting ordnance.

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It looks like the one cylinder has been shot a bit to me but you got a great one!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Could be, but these .22s mark the recoil shield pretty quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Better look. No worries, I’ll shoot it pretty soon..
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:05 pm My old model definitely has wear on it! These are from '06, it's got a lot more miles on it since then. They are a lovely bit of squirrel hunting ordnance.

Looks like you know just how to use that old gun!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Interesting neither cylinder match frame or each other?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What I see on the cylinder face could just be from factory test firing.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim Taylor will agree with me…the best SHOOTING old model Single Sixes are before the early sixties before Ruger came out with the magnum cylinder as they opened the groove diameter of the barrel to accommodate the added pressures of the magnum.

Scott…..you can never do wrong on any old model Ruger….just as good, if not better than any 401K plan……Were you lucky to get the box?. Notice how nice and crispy the action is along with a 3# or less trigger pull? 😊

These are “pre old models” a.k.a. Flat Gates where the loading gate is a flat piece of metal…..mid fifties….believe they are unfired…

Like early Winchesters and Colts, the only thing that comes close are early Rugers.——-006

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

No box. Most of these guns see quite a bit of finish wear. This one doesn’t have any. If it was shot, it wasn’t shot much and it appears to never have been in a leather holster.

I don’t know much about this gun but it’s properly timed as I checked it with a range rod on both cylinders.

Trigger isn’t as crisp as it will be. But I don’t think I bought anyone else’s problems. It feel like a new gun from the factory. Like it needs to be shot some.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

What does the ratchet side look like on both? ..22 LR should have firing pin groove and WMR flat backed.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Well it shoots very well with .22 lr and .22 Mag at 25 yards. It groups a bit over the front sight but not a lot.

I’ll do a little trigger work and it will be a good understudy for my Bowen .44
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Pat C wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:34 pm What does the ratchet side look like on both? ..22 LR should have firing pin groove and WMR flat backed.
They look the same except for the size of the chambers.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Old model single six .22LR Have the FP groove, 22 WMR is flat.

Based on mis matched serials sounds like both cylinders are not original to gun.

New model 22LR do not have firing pin channel because of the transfer bar.

As long as timing worked out and no excessive slop or barrel cylinder gap sounds like it's OK. Just be sure to double check gap with feeler gauge and watch throat for any shaved lead.

Not mine but you can see the difference in .22lr vs WMR
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Both of my cylinders are flat on the ratchet side.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The Flat backed .22LR came out during the new model era ,but not until later .Engineers realized that the transfer bar illuminated the need for the groove.

All this probably doesn't mean doodle squat for a gun intended to shoot. Just an observation that needs checking to verify safety.

I think generally when Ruger or Colt fitted cylinders it was just to adjust front of basepin boss to frame fit.

This evening I'll measure mine exactly and report lengths and frame opening. I would be curious how close two were.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

With the advent of the adjustable sighted, dual cylinder Wrangle, I foresee the discontinuance of the Single-Six. Making any Single-Six a keeper.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

For me it's gotta be blued steel the painted alloy does not do anything for me. Single six I've had a number of over the years and I keep coming back. First .22 pistol I learned to shoot on.
In 70's
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

You've got a good one Scott. Rare to find an old one unfired .. at least in my world. We have 2 .. one made in 1960 and one made in 1964. I shoot the Single Six more than any other sixgun I have these days. Just a lot of fun. One reason I like them is the old XR3 gripframe. It's the same as the Colt SAA. Why Ruger re-designed it later I will never understand. All my old model Rugers have the XR3 gripframe so when going from them to the Colt to the USFA they all feel the same.

The serial number of your gun dates it to 1969.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Well Jim, it’s not unfired anymore! I put a little red axle grease in the works and put 50 .22 lr and 50 .22 Magnum through it. The magnums seem to heat the gun up a bit. Both shoot just over the top of the front sight at 25 yards.

I’ll clean up the trigger this week and see how it will shoot then.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Now go get you some small game! One of my favorite hunting memories with mine was from doing ground squirrel control with a friend on his ranch. We drove out to where there was a large colony of Wyoming ground squirrels and I was knocking them over with the 10/22. He saw me having such fun that he wanted to try it. So I handed him the rifle and pulled the Single Six. Then I'd try to guess which squirrel he was lining up on and pop it before he could shoot. :lol: He'd NO idea that you could shoot squirrels that far out with a handgun. I doubt I can see the sights or squirrels that well any more, but it sure was a fun way to educate a friend about the joys of handgun hunting. I lost count of how many rounds have been through that old pistol, but it just keeps chugging along.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:52 am Well Jim, it’s not unfired anymore! I put a little red axle grease in the works and put 50 .22 lr and 50 .22 Magnum through it. The magnums seem to heat the gun up a bit. Both shoot just over the top of the front sight at 25 yards.

I’ll clean up the trigger this week and see how it will shoot then.
GOOD FOR YOU!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Had to file down the rear sight slightly to lower the point of impact,

Started on a case of .22 shells. I’ll bet that by the time I shoot 5000 rounds through this sixgun the action will be silky smooth.