Interesting Result at The Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting Result at The Range

Post by COSteve »

Yesterday I took my 40 cal carbine and both my 155grn and 180grn handloads out to compare them. The loads I settled on were both 90% of max with Power Pistol and they produce almost the same POI at 100yds which is where I've got my Ruger Police Carbine sighted in at.

For review, my carbine has a rear ghost ring sight at the back of the receiver that I added a smaller aperture to for more precision. With the longer sight radius and the increased aiming accuracy of the peep sight over a barrel mounted notched blade, I found that my carbine was much more accurate than I had anticipated.

A few weeks ago I tested the 155grn loads to see if I could squeak by with an aimed shot at 200yds. With the front blade at the top of the aperture, I just barely got hits at 200yds as it's hard to see much of the target. So, I have 155grn loads that I can use for aimed fire from my carbine at 200yds.

Next came the 180grn loads and to my surprise, not only could I also hit aimed shots at 200yds but I actually didn't have to run the front blade all the way to the top of the aperture. It's close, but not at the top giving me a better sight picture. So, my choice for general purpose loads will be the 180grns.

Further, the pulls I got from AR turned out to be the same shape as X-Treme's 180s so I'm guessing that is what they were. Anyway, they were decently accurate out at 200yds considering that they are pistol bullets.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Interesting Result at The Range

Post by JBowen »

It's always nice when a plan works out good. Are you going to do any tweaking on your load or stick with what you've got?

JBowen
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

JBowen wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:56 pm It's always nice when a plan works out good. Are you going to do any tweaking on your load or stick with what you've got?

JBowen
I'm considering upping the powder charge a bit to 95% or so after I chrono the current load to see if I can make a meaningful change in the trajectory with the idea that if I can, I'll consider zeroing if at say 125 - 150 yards to see what happens.

That's the beauty of handloading. I get to tinker with the recipe to see if I can gain anything useful without overly stressing the brass. However, I'm not expecting to be able to do much in flattening the curve so it's more of just an experiment.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Excellent. Thanks 🙏🏼 for the report!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com