Leveraction revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Leveraction revolvers

Post by JimT »

P.W. Porter Turret Revolver

One of the earliest was the P.W. Porter Turret Revolver. Made in very limited numbers during the early 1850's, this .41 caliber 9-shot revolver featured a revolving turret that was actuated by working the finger lever. This also cocked the hammer. Priming was automatic and used the pill lock system Barrel length was 5 1/4". This is one of the most unusual revolvers ever made. The problem with it was the same one that plagued Porter's Turret Rifle ... the loaded turret pointed directly at the shooters face! Not a good thing if there happened to be a chain-fire.

_____

Savage-North Figure 8 Model

Produced in 4 configurations this 36 caliber revolver featured a figure-8 finger lever that rotated the cylinder and cocked the hammer. The finger lever also housed the trigger. Probably less than 1000 total were made.

_____

Savage Revolving Firearms Co.
Navy Model

After Savage reorganized in 1859 under this name they began working on an improvement of the Figure 8 Revolver. The Navy Model featured a more refined finger lever and other improvements. The guns were made in 36 caliber and retained some features from the Figure 8 Revolver including the chamfered chambers that fitted over the end of the barrel to produce a tighter seal.

Around 20,000 of these revolvers were made from 1861 until sometime in the mid -1860's, most for government contracts.

The single-action revolver quickly replaced the lever-action revolvers, being much simpler and easier to manipulate in a crisis situation. The single-action revolvers were less complicated in construction and number of parts also. The ruggedness and reliability of the single-action is legendary.

While the lever-action revolvers are interesting and a vital part of the history of leverguns, they simply could not compete with the improved firearms coming on the scene. This is in stark contrast to the rifles which even in today's high-tech world hold their own among shooters and hunters.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leveraction revolvers

Post by Ray »

They're kind of homely if not downright ugly but that's just my opinion.....

I've got a series of novels set in the war between states where the protagonist carries a savage. I think they could be cornwell's "starbuck chronicles" but I'm not sure.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,
I had one of those Savage revolvers it came to me completely frozen and even after a month in Kroil it was still locked up. I had to take out every screw using the secret drill press method…….that’s the easy way to take out a screw and not mess nothing up.

This is the one I had…should have kept it but I was money hungry for another single action Colt.

https://youtu.be/OvZuy6oaTkY
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They are home Ray .. for sure.
Jack, I would take a Colt any day over the Savage, even the percussion Colts. I had a Savage that had been dug up in Creed, Colorado. It was missing the internals and the hammer. Just the frame, cylinder and lever. I had it at a Gun Show and sold it to a gentleman from England who was going to try and take it back home. He especially wanted the paper with it that told of how it was found. I was happy to sell it to him.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

here is one of mine:

and another:

these were custom built and the fun part of these is that they are both 22LR rimfires !
cable
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Those are very cool, Cable!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doctor Cable: Amazing! 8)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thanks, fellows. i probably paid too much for them but...... so be it.

wish i had a savage lever action percussion pistol repro set set up the same way
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cool looking guns. Not everything has to be pretty.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Always thought it would be neat to have a volcanic pistol... 8)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

me too

[ along with a few hundred other neat guns ]

:D
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neato Harold…..many years ago I had serial number 22 of a Volcanic……even posted it here….I joked that I used it as a door prop. It was complete except missing a side plate…….oh well….just memories now.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

hfcable wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:56 pmthese were custom built... 22LR rimfires
Sweet!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:28 pm Neato Harold…..many years ago I had serial number 22 of a Volcanic……even posted it here….I joked that I used it as a door prop. It was complete except missing a side plate…….oh well….just memories now.
i remember that !!!
cable
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for posting these Jim. It is always fun to learn a little more about our hobby and history.

JBowen