"THEY"......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

"THEY"......

Post by Ray »

that is to say, the fake & corrupt news media are making much about oregonians learning how to pump their own petrol. Is this real news or flummery ? Boggles the mind if true that folk on the left side of the continent live....and apparently have lived for all of their lives in such quasi totalitarianism.

I felt the same odd incredulity when someone mentioned here that they, in a very rugged and outdoorsy state in the east, could not hunt or even possess in the field lead shot in/for their fowling pieces.

Edit, and it goes on.....seems folk in new jersey as well do not know how to have a pull at the figurative camel teat !

I remember, as just a wee lad, watching attendants pump petrol but have not seen that but rarely since 1974 !
Last edited by Ray on Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Re: "THEY"......

Post by JimT »

Here is an article from 1993 that needs to be relearned by todays folk ..

https://leverguns.com/articles/cowards.htm
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That's a great article, and is as pertinent today as the day it was written.

-Stretch
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The real and honest media are in fact having fun at the expense of idiot Oregonians, of which I was one for more than 60 years. It's pathetic the actual concerns some have about pumping their own gas. You'd have to see it to believe it.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Sometimes I ponder what all of this stupidity will do when the grid goes down ?
Reflecting back on our sitting VP's comment that farmers don't know how to run a copier, yep - she really said this. I would buy reserve seats to watch her climb into a tractor, fire up the diesel and electronics and actually accomplish something.
Don't know, maybe too much coffee already this morning. 70 years old and tired of BS, I guess..
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vic, same age and tired, too.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

It ain't just the left coast! In New Jersey it's still illegal to pump your own gas.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Self service is a con. Gas stations became self service just so they could reduce staff thus increasing profits.

For a short while you could select between full and self service and save a penny or two. But that went away about the time credit card charges came into being.

So now we pump our own gas for full price and, here at least, pay an additional 10 cents a gallon for card fees. Both increase station profits.

Not having attendants is an obvious cost reduction for stations. Card fees is a bit sneakier. Since the fee is fixed per gallon, the larger the transaction fee for larger purchases. But the actual cost of a transaction is the same whether you spend three dollars or thirty dollars.

Oh, and those fees are tax are a tax deductible expense for the station.

Much like shrink-flation we pay more for less and have slowly accepted it as just the way things are done.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Trust me these idiots in NJ shouldn't be allowed to drive let alone pump their own!!
40 in the fast lane, stop at a yield or floor it into traffic( depending on which way they are heading- west stop- east floor it), keep right is NOT taught in drivers ed, text and drive? Sure why not! Mirrors are only for make-up.
Seems to me the American driver is REgressing back to the pond scum of old...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:25 am Here is an article from 1993 that needs to be relearned by todays folk ..

https://leverguns.com/articles/cowards.htm
This is epic, thanks Jim. Too bad Americans quit reading when the little screen popped up . . .
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I sincerely apologize to any oregonion who might have taken umbrage at my remarks. I meant nothing disparaging. I was/am simply ignorant of what daily life is like there in relation to fueling. There is an interstate exit truck stop some 30 miles south of here with 27 pumps that busy and impatient motorists scramble and jostle for space at and my imagination simply cannot ken adding attendants to the equation.
R (2).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:40 pm There is an interstate exit truck stop some 30 miles south of here with 27 pumps that busy and impatient motorists scramble and jostle for space at and my imagination simply cannot ken adding attendants to the equation.
Life was slower paced in 40's and 50's. People were not usually rushing to and fro, trying to fit everything in the day. When you pulled into a "Service" station you expected service. They pumped the gas, checked the oil, the radiator, the brake fluid, washed the windows ... you got service. And you didn't hurry them. If for some reason you were in a rush you told them "Just gas .. I'm in a hurry" or some such thing and you were accommodated.

While I am happy to be alive and enjoying my grandkids and great-grandkids now and then, I don't much care for direction the country has taken socially, culturally or spiritually. But that's my opinion and I am not asking anyone to agree with me.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:55 am Vic, same age and tired, too.
About there myself ...

The tolerance for superficial stuff and b.s. is kinda zero.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:11 pm
Ray wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:40 pmThere is an interstate exit truck stop some 30 miles south of here with 27 pumps that busy and impatient motorists scramble and jostle for space at and my imagination simply cannot ken adding attendants to the equation.
...and I am not asking anyone to agree with me.
Well, in Oregon, in my class 8 semi, I've had to pump my own fuel all during their "let us serve you" experiment. Went twice in the p/u and couldn't pump my own diesel... The whole thing was a ploy to employ the otherwise unemployable. Back in my teens (60's) I worked at a Chevron station as an attendant, going to college, it was a company owned station and wages were good, and still got commission if I sold batteries or tires... and yessiree Bob, I sold the heck outta tires and batteries! My wife started her working carrier as a hostess in a fancy restaurant and became a server... then after we got married and moved closer to the base my ship was stationed at, she got a job at a self-service station, eventually becoming the manager, then an area manager and finally hired on with the company that owned 'em all (Douglas Oil - a div of Conoco) as an accountant. Even becoming a manager of their "cost" accounting department. She had to figure all those different costs into their monthly, & annual reports. Listening to her was an education it itself.

And Jim, any sane person will agree with you. country's going to heck in a handbasket!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Miss Helena Handbasket has become a problem. Too many 50 watt bulbs in a 100 watt world are refusing to believe in her.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost