A "gee whiz" 1886 question...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

A "gee whiz" 1886 question...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wonder... If I were to go looking for a beat up old 86 EL TD barrel (sans-reciever, bad crown, needed to be cut to 16.5" or somthing) would it fit/could be made to fit my TD Reciever?

Would be kinda fun to have both a full Octagon and a snubby option... 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: A "gee whiz" 1886 question...

Post by old goat »

...Yes! I've saw photos of "switch barrel" TDs. A barrel would be only one of the problems. It would require a barrel, sights, fore end, fore end cap (or barrel band/s), and a magazine with the TD catch on the end, along with the TD plate they are attatched to. The fore end TD plate, would have to be made, and custom fitted, to correctly match the TD plate on the front of the receiver. The parts and required expert (custom) gunsmith's labor, would mean a large outlay of cash.
...What I'm trying to say is, you would need a complete barrel/fore end assembly to switch out, and not just the barrel.

...EDITED TO SAY: After reading what I wrote this morning, I need to say that the above OPINION, is based on an article I read somewhere, NOT experence. I suggest you ask whom ever made the Marlin 1894 TD for the article recently published in Rifle magazine for actual facts. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression to anyone.

...old goat
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

old goat wrote:...What I'm trying to say is, you would need a complete barrel/fore end assembly to switch out, and not just the barrel.
Oh, that was a given. I know it would be an ugly conversion with just a barrel. I'm just wondering if I kept an eye out for an '86 TD that had a completely and unredeemably bubba'd reciever that was being parted out so I could buy the front end and not require too much work to make it a shootable addition to my TD reciever..
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have purchased original 1886 TD parts from e-Bay and GunBroker both. '86 parts have become overpriced lately, with some sellers equating a barrel to a nearly complete gun, but there are some good deals out there if you search diligently. I recently picked up two .33 barrels with poor bores to be used for different calibers.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I wonder if this might be more feasible cost-wise with a Marlin 95? Sure sounds like a neat idea, but maybe you could buy 2 complete Marlins for less total cost.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bj94 wrote:I wonder if this might be more feasible cost-wise with a Marlin 95? Sure sounds like a neat idea, but maybe you could buy 2 complete Marlins for less total cost.
Probably. But I have a nice 1886 TD already. However, it is a 24" Octagon. I can see a "for instance" where having a short/light barrel might be a handy option.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!