Big tree went down….sell the wood?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Big tree went down….sell the wood?

Post by AJMD429 »

An 80 tall bur oak had enough limbs come down during a storm a couple weeks ago that it left the tree unstable and the rest was leaning over our house, so we had it professionally taken down.

My first thought was at least spending that money to have it taken down, would be sort of an expensive way to do it, but we would have almost a year’s worth of firewood for heating.

However, part of the end result is a 17 1/2 foot long main trunk section without any splits that ranges from 17 inches to 28 inches in diameter.

Of course, since there was a big storm a couple weeks ago local sawmills say they aren’t looking for anything and if I want to hang onto it for a potential sale later, they said I either need to put it under water or have a sprinkler on it at all times.

Is there any other way to reliably store a big chunk like that? Also, since we no longer have a bulldozer, there’s not really any way to move it from a fairly inconvenient spot in the driveway.

I also don’t know lumber values enough to know whether a chunk like that would be worth enough for the bother versus just using it for firewood, as I originally thought. The other option is I could put the ripping blade on my chainsaw with the long bar and I have a guide that one can use to make rough planks. However, if I did that, then I still have to square them up on a tablesaw in run them through a planer to do anything with them, and that takes a lot of time that I don’t have.

IMG_0772.jpeg
Anyway, I’d be interested in other peoples experience if they’ve ever cut and sold timber. Since it’s only one log it probably isn’t going to particularly interest a commercial buyer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big tree went down….sell the wood?

Post by ollogger »

Doc, cut & sold alot of logs in my life but the code of any saw mill was, no yard trees
they are for fire wood, the problem with yard trees is at some time some one put all sorts of iron in them
big spikes to small nails to giant lag screws for clothes lines & even concret to plug wood pecker holes
sorry my 2 cents worth is to cut it up for fire wood it will burn real nice

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I usually don't cut any of the blowdowns up, nor do I have a way to split any logs for firewood, too much work for an old man! I just wrap a chain around the trunk or limb end and drag 'm into on big "burn pile" in one of the pastures. I generally wait a year or two to accumulate a big enough pile, then burn the whole mess. After it's burnt to nothing but ash and embers, I disc up that section of ground and keep turning until they're well mixed in the top soil... always becomes a real nice grassy spot the next season... yes, I do mix in a little bermuda seed when I finish up!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Do you have Amish in the area? They might want it for cutting boards or beams.
Or
Look around for someone with a portable sawmill that will come slab it on site.

Or
Just cut & split for the stove.

Hurricane Sandy was hard on trees here, I had a giant red oak come down, from roos to first branch was 27 feet, at the branch it was close to 30 inches across- BIG TREE. I tried to sell, heck give it to a sawyer but there were so many trees down the market was flooded.

Let's not forget bullets in trees, I once planed some black walnut for a guy and sure enough I fileted a 22lr bullet in one of the boards- lead doesn't leave tell tale black mineral streaks like in other trees.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

If it was Walnut I would say keep it but oak burn it except some small limbs I would make into a few walking canes and staffs.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The Amish here would give You Top Dollar here , IF they Weren't All out fishing for Walleyes in Ohio....................................................... :shock: :D :D :D :D .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Firewood.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s a nice log and be a hard decision if was laying in my yard, i use a metal detector and go over logs i`m going to saw into lumber but still a risk.
Guess if there wasn`t someone asking me for it i`d make firewood out of it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What Lenn said. Metal detectors became very important tools for the Oregon logging industry after the radical greenies started spiking trees within the boundaries of BLM and Forest Service timber sales.
If it were me, I would be tempted to cut the good section in half and paint the ends with latex paint, then get them under some shade and well off the ground. But I come from the land of softwood forests in the Pacific Northwest, and oak, walnut, maple and other hardwoods have always seemed like gold to me.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It’d be some work, but you could do it at your pace. But, I’d cut it in manageable rounds for firewood. You might know of some folks in your area that could use some free firewood for winter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

It`s a nice log and be a hard decision if was laying in my yard, i use a metal detector and go over logs i`m going to saw into lumber but still a risk.
Guess if there wasn`t someone asking me for it i`d make firewood out of it. :)
That's what I'd do. Shame to burn a nice oak log, as there's some good wood in it to make things, and oaks
do take awhile to grow. But if ya don't have the time, ya don't have the time.

I had some trees taken down 2 or 3 years ago - I still have 3-4 years of firewood cut and stacked.

Pricey way to buy firewood, but the trees had to come down and at least I'm gettin' some heat out of 'em.

-Strech
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I suppose it’s time to buy that sawmill you wanted a decade or so ago.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com