Keys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Keys

Post by Pitchy »

We just got a 2013 Ford F150 ,i pictured it in my 41 years thread well it only came with one key so Norma headed to Forn to get a spare made.
44 bucks for the key and 60 bucks to have it programed :shock: who`ed of thought it would come to this 50 years ago, it won`t along with a phone won`t be in my bug out bag. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Keys

Post by Bill in Oregon »

They have us bent over yet again, Lenn.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's actually pretty cheap for a new key and programming. Some others I've seen can be $400-$500. :cry:
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:25 pm That's actually pretty cheap for a new key and programming. Some others I've seen can be $400-$500. :cry:
Yes it is cheap for a dealer programmed key.

But now that you have 2, you can program up to 6 more yourself.
Every time I buy a new Ford, I immediately make myself 2 new keys and at least one new fob.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Same thing happened to me a couple of years back, I didn't bother with a spare.. :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s all stuff IMO.
If a EMP happens i`ll have a old motorcycle and a JD tractor that has points and run. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

My 1930 Model A Ford with points, condenser and coil should also work after EMP also. It did just strand me side the road though. Kept blowing a 30 amp fuse I installed to protect against electrical shorts. Turned out to be the amp meter shorted internally! Bypassed the meter and drove it home.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my R65 and the KL250 both have conventional ignition.... if emp, then airhead will get a trailer hitch. . ,

in Mexico a mission group lost a rental van key and were faced with a 500$ bill when they returned the car stateside. the ranch car-guy used his scanner somehow and programmed a key that worked in the van. genious!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

vancelw wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:59 pm
TedH wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:25 pm That's actually pretty cheap for a new key and programming. Some others I've seen can be $400-$500. :cry:
Yes it is cheap for a dealer programmed key.
Ouch!!! Maybe I should have stayed in my caeer as a (3rd generation) locksmith!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:06 pm We just got a 2013 who`ed of thought it would come to this 50 years ago, it won`t along with a phone won`t be in my bug out bag. :roll:
I bugged out and now i cant get back...! LOL pitchy thats so funny , you nade my night. I just got done..! watching a beautiful love story. The original Terminator
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even these keys with a chip can't stop thieves. Sorta makes them look like a scam to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:06 pm We just got a 2013 Ford F150 ,i pictured it in my 41 years thread well it only came with one key so Norma headed to Forn to get a spare made.
44 bucks for the key and 60 bucks to have it programed :shock: who`ed of thought it would come to this 50 years ago, it won`t along with a phone won`t be in my bug out bag. :roll:
Todd this is what i said, as far as bugging out there isn`t anywhere to bug out to might as well stand firm on ones place and fight like i`ve done with the Indians for many years. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You may be able to get a non-chipped key made at a regular key cutting place that at least operates the doors, glove box and possible will make the windows run but wont start the vehicle. I always keep a spare key on me in case of a lock-out, and keep a spare chipped key available. I had the local Ace Hardware program my spare chipped key when i got one. it was less than the dealership.

The door remote fobs I dont keep on the key ring, it sort of defeats the purpose of a backup if you lock the keys in the vehicle. I keep mine either in the watch pocket of my pants or on a cord around my neck. That also makes it pretty easy to use without taking it out when getting in or out of the vehicle. Spares can be had less expensively from aftermarket places, I think i got one thats supposedly OEM, but not from Toyota, it was around 20 or 25 or so dollars when I got mine. Theres info online on how to program remotes yourself. ive done a couple, and its pretty simple. It doesnt always work the first time, last one took 4 or 5 tries.

Looks like they also have the chipped keys....

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/s ... a-4runner/

Edit: Hey look

Chipped Keys, $12.95 to around $24, and vids showing how to program them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2013+Fo ... bshm=ncc/1
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?