Fitz Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Fitz Special

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There’s a guy over at accuratereloading.com having an old messed-with Colt New Service being made into as close a copy of a Fitz Special as possible. I remember reading either Elmer or Col. Cooper on this interesting belly gun. Anyone here ever handle or shoot one? No, I am not contemplating a build — just curious.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Fitz Special

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:03 am There’s a guy over at accuratereloading.com having an old messed-with Colt New Service being made into as close a copy of a Fitz Special as possible. I remember reading either Elmer or Col. Cooper on this interesting belly gun. Anyone here ever handle or shoot one? No, I am not contemplating a build — just curious.
I cut a Colt New Service down one time. Went a bit further and cut the gripframe to S&W Model 10 size. I did not cut the trigger guard away was about the only difference. Those who have had that done find out sooner or later that if you bend the remaining piece of trigger guard upwards it locks the gun up and prevents you from firing it.

Oh .. the cut-down New Service was still larger and heavier than a 4" Model 10 S&W. :lol: You ain't gonna wear it in an ankle holster!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought a "home made" version in .38-40 years ago. Interesting, but in my opinion completely useless. Like Jim said, the trigger guard bent fairly easily and a New Service is still a really big revolver.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I still don't see how Fitz pocket carried those cut down New Services. I had Andy Horvath work over a pair of abused ones and thin the trigger guards but I don't even think that's needed. Had the itch...
20170314_104216.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very nice pair, Walker. How do they shoot?
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

They shoot alright. This is from 7 yds. The spread is from shooting as quickly as I could. I need to get them out more often.
20170509_141004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I honestly was never enamored with, or understood why anyone would want the open triggerguard these had? Just never had any trouble getting at the trigger on a closed guard, and seemed a shame to molest even a rough example of a solid revolver.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I concur with everyone else about the triggerguard modification, doesn't make much sense in my mind. Otherwise I think the Fitz specials are pretty cool, but old Fitz must have had huge pockets!

Eric
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had toyed with the idea as I inherited a Taurus .38 Special DA and didn't know what to do with it. Figured I wasn't hurting the value of a S&W or Colt, so what would be the harm, as I don't have a Fitz Special in my collection. You fine folks here talked me out of it, especially regarding the trigger guard. Pays to ask here first! :D
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I think Charter Arms makes their…BOOMER to fill this need.
There’s a review archived at GUNBLAST.COM
Rumble.com/ hickock45