Weatherby 338 RPM

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Weatherby 338 RPM

Post by CowboyTutt »

OK, I have to admit, that the Weatherby family may have hit a real home-run here with this new cartridge built around their small frame, 6 lug, Mark V action in a 5 1/2 lb carbon fiber rifle with an optional muzzle brake. They even make one for us "lefties" (bastards! -Tutt) And it is centered around "heavy for caliber" bullets which I like and maybe one other. Hey Grizzzzzz!!!!! :lol:

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editor ... rpm/463049

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQddCwE1H4

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Weatherby 338 RPM

Post by Blaine »

Or, you could eschew long range sniping and do some old fashioned hunting :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Man Tutt! That's a good looking rifle. I had a Ruger 77 338 for a number of years. Until I learned that those 225, 250, and 275Gr bullets, at that time, were too frangible to function well at contact range with zombi bears. That's when I bought a 45/70.

I mean, it was ridiculous when I was sneaking past a FRESH den, and sweating the tiny hole in the end of my rifle! :lol:

That Weatherby looks looks like a great mountain rifle. Good for those goats straight up the granite escarpments.

Did you order one yet?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bullets have to work at the intended velocities of a cartridge for sure. My best friend told me the 338 cartridge is so popular and there are so many bullets available at that size it was one of the reasons he chose his Savage rifle, cartridge, and components in 338 Lapua. I appreciate the fact that Weatherby also invented their ammunition to go with their gun. It's a "long stroke" 284 Winchester case apparently. But I have to admit I admire the work that Weatherby put into making the whole package work together in a super light weight "side lever". -Tutt

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... cartridge/
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Blaine, I agree, but it depends on the terrain and what your hunting I think. But I've only killed one pig from the side of a truck, using a friend's rifle at about 75 yards.

-Tutt

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Have you looked for 338 component bullets lately? More like unobtanium! I'm trying to work up loads for my 338 Federal and the rifle sits idle since I can't find light bullets!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:20 pm Have you looked for 338 component bullets lately? More like unobtanium! I'm trying to work up loads for my 338 Federal and the rifle sits idle since I can't find light bullets!
Gunny, no, I don't have a .338 rifle of any kind. It seems like many of the bullets I need for a handful of cartridges I have to wait 30-90 days until a batch comes in and when they do they are sometimes rationed. It's not just the .338.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/bullets/.338-diameter/

Seems like there are quite a few out there. Good prices on the speers. The plastic tipped solid copper 185 gr. hornady looks like it could make a .338 win. mag. think its a .270.
m.A.g.a. !
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I really like Weatherby

a lot of their stuff is out of my practical price range --- but everything they do is cool -

I love the old school stuff though - flared pistol grips and tricked out woodwork with the whiteline spacers and gorgeous blueing

The closest i can get is a couple of Vanguards ive owned over the years with synthetic furniture and chambered in .300 WBY

I know im not addressing the .338 RPM, but i really think the .300 WBY is under-appreciated and ive always wanted to build up a custom with a big heavy barrel and a custom stock off a Vanguard -Howa action for long range plinking - ER Shaw can do it , but i havent really put it as a priority yet
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:44 pm https://ammoseek.com/reloading/bullets/.338-diameter/

Seems like there are quite a few out there. Good prices on the speers. The plastic tipped solid copper 185 gr. hornady looks like it could make a .338 win. mag. think its a .270.
what's the velocity on that from the Weatherby?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Grizz, the 185's are doing 3100 fps and the 225's do 2800 fps. Pretty darn good for a shorter barrel (I think I read they are 18 inches with a 2 inch brake). -Tutt

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:12 pm Grizz, the 185's are doing 3100 fps and the 225's do 2800 fps. Pretty darn good for a shorter barrel (I think I read they are 18 inches with a 2 inch brake). -Tutt
I don't remember my 338WM loads, must have notes somewhere. I think the 200s were over 3000, and the 225s were probably not 2800. I suppose I should browse around for my notes, but not tonight. I was just using the published data and staying below max charges.

Interesting stuff. We are getting intermittent Fall equinox storms with some wind and rain. The indian summer, as my Mom called it, was glorious. But now it's time to get some water on the forest fires which are still going in some places. And relieving the deep drought. Our magnificent magnolia seems to be confused. Most of the leaves are deep green, and usually when she drops them they've turned brown to red. It was a very cool Spring here and I couldn't get any planting weather until it was too late to plant, so no veggies. Then a long dry summer, extra add-on ad hoc late summer, and finally enough water to hopefully help the trees pull thru. Magnolia is hanging on to the green, the most luscious green in the whole area. I need to prune it back when she does take a nap. The canopy is too spread out, and has reached a garage roof. Time for a hair cut.

Good Night