.35 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jp12
Levergunner

.35 Winchester

Post by jp12 »

I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to lever guns as well. I just purchased my first Winchester 95 yesterday chambered in .35 Win. I wouldn't mind taking it deer hunting this year but I am having trouble finding ammo finding ammo for it, even brass and reloading dies aren't easy to find. If anyone has suggestions on where I should look for that stuff that would be much appreciated, it seems like a great little cartridge for deer hunting here in Alabama. I have always found lesser known cartridges to be very interesting.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .35 Winchester

Post by Drawdown »

You'll find the help you need on here I'm sure, but I'm not it. But it's a cartridge & rifle I'd enjoy being in your shoes for, and yes I'd say a fine deer cartridge, especially what I know about most Ala deer woods. The old Win cartridges are very useful, interesting and fun, and by my memory, the 33 & 35 Win especially! I'm sure it'll be worthwhile to put everything together for it, so much more than a new plastic wonder cartridge! Good luck, let us know the results!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

An 1895 in .35 Win is on my list. I'm not actively looking, but if I stumbled into one I would probably grab it. I think @Sixgun on the forums here last took one to CO for Elk some years back. It's not the glamorous .405 Win, but it's the solid heavy hitter that the regular guy would choose. Versus, of course, the youngsters that would opt for a 30-06 model 1895 ... noobs.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

First off, welcome! And a great choice in a rifle and one of the better "obsolete" cartridges out there. I love my BLR in 358 Winchester. I am not sure what is out there regarding load data but I could help you with the Quick Load program with that pretty easily as its in the data base. Lots of bullets in that caliber, so that part should not be hard. Cases may be a bigger problem and you may have to fire form, honestly don't know having not looked at it. -Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Take a look at the thread below, fireforming brass for my .35 WCF.
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 65#p952465

I have to get back out with it. Keep checking Grafs.com for brass. It disappears pretty quickly. Midway has it occasionally.
Dies are usually special order but I have seen them listed on Gunbroker occasionally.

I haven't had it out on a deer hunt, but it knocked a 100 lb+ boar flat.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thank you JB! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Might still have my dies from when I had a 35 Win. Let me look tomorrow
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I used 30-40 krag brass for mine before I got some from quality cartridge. It is about a 1/10 of an inch too short. I believe the rim was a little big, but just chuck it in a drill press and touch it with a file. I had no problems with the 30-40 brass. The nice thing is that it takes .358 bullets. Redding makes dies.

Here is the article with the bullets I use. https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=86385
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Interesting. I didn't have any issues with the .30-40 brass, but there's always going to be little differences from one rifle to the next.

Midway has Bertram brass occasionally. I've reloaded the same twenty about three times without an issue. I did anneal the necks before I loaded them the first time. I've read that Bertram is a little brittle, if so that must have helped. I did lose one on a boar hunt in TX. Forgot to pick it up after the shot. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I stand corrected, the rim size on the 30-40 Krag is the same as the 35 Win. I had it confused with a different brass conversion. Let me know if you can't find any. I can probably part with some 30-40 brass to get you shooting.