Winchester M1885 Limited Edition Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester M1885 Limited Edition Rifles

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: I have a .32-40 Winchester M1885 Limited edition .32-40 that needs a new home. Just have not shot it much in the last 10 years or so since I bought it new, so it sits in the safe. Really needs a new home.

Problem: I have spent time looking on the net and cannot find any for sale. Anyone have any idea what the going price might be?
Thanks for any help.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester M1885 Limited Edition Rifles

Post by yooper2 »

Funnily enough I saw one sell for $1300 about 3 weeks ago. The guy was completing the purchase just as I walked into the gun shop. If I had gotten there sooner I would own it. Good looking rifle! I think it could have gone for quite a bit more.

Eric
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

P.S.

One thing that may help your search is I believe these were known as "Limited Series" guns, not "Limited Edition".

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was going to say I saw a couple of them at the local gun shop priced at $500 and they sat on the shelf for a long time, then they marked them down to $250 and somebody finally bought them...

.... Then I was going to offer you $350 just to show what a nice guy I am... :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I don't think you'd find much like that for under $1,500, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could fetch twice that. Unless you're in a hurry to sell it I'd start with a really high price because you can always drop the price later on.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You guys are way ahead of me, I had to look that cartridge up. Very interesting case design, not very hard to make. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

the 32-40 is an awesome cartridge! In an 1885 you could probably get 2000fps with a 165 gr. bullet if you wanted a deer rifle, or you can load it to original specs ~ 1440fps and have an awesome hole puncher.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray Newman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:43 pm Colleagues: I have a .32-40 Winchester M1885 Limited edition .32-40 that needs a new home. Just have not shot it much in the last 10 years or so since I bought it new, so it sits in the safe. Really needs a new home.

Problem: I have spent time looking on the net and cannot find any for sale. Anyone have any idea what the going price might be?
Thanks for any help.
What's the barrel length? I'm interested when you determine what you want for it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Griff: I will measure the barrel length tomorrow. Believe it is a 28" octagon.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray Newman wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:58 pmGriff: I will measure the barrel length tomorrow. Believe it is a 28" octagon.
Thanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Griff: check your PM's. Thanks.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I found its way to a new home... hopefully, it'll be a good one. Packaged well to withstand the rigors of package throwers extraordinaire! I have dies, shells in hand, and the bullets on the way! I also have four boxes of Winchester's John Wayne commemorative ammo... at least box one will get sacrificed on the altar of the 1885!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have a Marlin 1893 in 32-40 that was made in 1899. The bore is gone and I want to get a bore liner put in sometime. I have dies, brass and bullets waiting. I wish I could run across some of that John Wayne ammo. I remember when it came out in the 80's.