Levergun 'Tactical' class

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Levergun 'Tactical' class

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/sRgcZqWSsI0

Kinda distracting mirror-image video but otherwise looks fun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Levergun 'Tactical' class

Post by wvfarrier »

While not technically a levergun "class", I took a couple cqb courses and ran a winchester 92 and 357 wheel gun instead of a semi-autos. It was a lot of fun and educational
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

wvfarrier wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:37 am While not technically a levergun "class", I took a couple cqb courses and ran a winchester 92 and 357 wheel gun instead of a semi-autos. It was a lot of fun and educational
We have had leverguns in some classes at Gunsite. Any class that makes you keep the gun loaded and requires manipulation under simulated conditions is very helpful.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I ran my 357 Magnum lever action and Taurus 92 pistol against my son using his AR-15 and Glock at our range trying to do some night shooting of gongs, and it was fun. Obviously after the first eight shots of the long gun I would only have a handgun until there was a break in the fight, but it is true that most fights are ended with no shots fired, and the shots are fired, generally it is only two or three.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Twenty Years Ago ..... Ashley Emerson took his 30-30 to Thunder Ranch and ran the URBAN RIFLE COURSE with it.

https://leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I think that folks who shoot cowboy action shooting get some defensive benefit from simply being familiar and running their guns under time pressure.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:48 am
wvfarrier wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:37 am While not technically a levergun "class", I took a couple cqb courses and ran a winchester 92 and 357 wheel gun instead of a semi-autos. It was a lot of fun and educational
We have had leverguns in some classes at Gunsite. Any class that makes you keep the gun loaded and requires manipulation under simulated conditions is very helpful.

I am gonna take a course at Gunsite someday
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I remember an old episode of Gun Stories wher the interviewee told of a Montana Sheriff that had taken a course somewhere and with his old model 94 patrol rifle outshot the rest of the class. The sheriff had LOTS of experience with that gun and it was as capable as an AR….In experienced hands.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

The way I figure, the big difference is a semiauto may let you fire off a slightly quicker follow-up shot, but will that half second really matter while you're fighting recoil and a moving target.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:30 pmI think that folks who shoot cowboy action shooting get some defensive benefit from simply being familiar and running their guns under time pressure.
I've read this comment and thought about it for the past few days... and while it has some validity... there are several other factors that come into play, and may far outweigh familiarity.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:31 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:30 pmI think that folks who shoot cowboy action shooting get some defensive benefit from simply being familiar and running their guns under time pressure.
I've read this comment and thought about it for the past few days... and while it has some validity... there are several other factors that come into play, and may far outweigh familiarity.
...ya left us hanging, Griff; what are they...???

I'd think overall muscle memory would be a factor.
Also just the 'action' scenarios maybe...?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:36 am
Griff wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:31 am
...ya left us hanging, Griff; [t]what are they[/i]...???
I'd think overall muscle memory would be a factor.
Also just the 'action' scenarios maybe...?
Awareness of time is a stress inducer, for certain... but... when lead is being slung back, fear becomes the elephant in the room. IMO, how one reacts to it is wholly independent of familiarity with handling your firearm. The only good thing is that most leverguns don't have detachable magazines! :wink: Live fire training is both an eye-opening and bowel loosening exercise.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

If you have the Feb/March Ballistic Magazine, look on page 9 for the Viktos advertisement.

Here's a hint
723762m3_ts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim