Deer Hunt with Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Deer Hunt with Model 71

Post by BenT »

I took my Win model 71 made in 1953 deer hunting this year. It was a short hunt. I was sitting in the deer stand overlooking two trails in the woods. At 630 AM I heard deer running through the woods. I could see them coming through the brush and noticed an antler on the first deer. I was going to let him pass when I noticed he was twice as big as the two deer behind him. So I pull up on the trail waiting for him to cross. All this deciding happened in about 3 seconds. I pulled the trigger when he crossed the trail. He started going up hill and then started circling like an airplane going down. I jacked another round in the chamber as he circled around the back side of my tree stand. I had to swing around to the other side of the tree. I though he was going down but he straighten out and headed straight away to the neighbors fence. So I placed a shot right between the shoulder blades and he dropped. I figured with him circling that I broke his front leg. Which is exactly what happened. Shot low in the chest taking out the front leg. He was a nice big 8 point.

That funny handle on top of the gun is a 1-4 Leupold scope. I got a good deal on this gun because it was tapped for a side mount scope. Which was a win win for me because I like side mounted scopes and saved money on the cost of the 71. Now that I shot a deer with the 71, the scope will be coming off and I will be shooting cast bullets with it.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Deer Hunt with Model 71

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nice buck and the rifle is even nicer!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool.
Glad to see a gun like that get some time afield...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like you had a good time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome. ! :D .
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Good job Ben! I always loved hunting with my Model 71.