Rejoining after a voluntary absence

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bobmcmillan
Levergunner

Rejoining after a voluntary absence

Post by Bobmcmillan »

Hello everyone, it's that strange Kiwi shooter back again after a prolonged absence (not at Her Majesty's Pleasure I might add). In the meantime I have taken the Marlin 336 XLR on a couple of hunts, after my local competition shooting committee banned all iron sights not manufactured as part of the rifle (I had a Williams peep, and a Lyman tunnel on it). It has changed from a target rifle to a hunting/fun rifle.

Hunting with a 24" levergun in thick scrub, slippery hills and poor light is not a happy time. So, I have decided to get a shorter 30-30 and put a 1-4 x20mm scope on it (I know, blasphemy, et al).
There are a few 336Y 'Spikyhorn' models around, but the LOP is a bit short.
How hard is it to cut down a standard 20" 336 to about 17.5-18"?
What is the optimum barrel length before performance falls off steeply? (I use Sierra 150gr FPs)
I also intend to reduce the amount of 'meat' on the stock and forearm pieces - any advice appreciated.
It's nice to be back
Regards all. Bob.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Hello and welcome back. For me, 20 inches is short enough. I like the 24 inch 44 mag I have very well also, but the 20 inch works well from a tree stand.
Zack
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It isn't hard to cut it down but you could also get a Spikehorn and put a standard butt-stock on it.

Welcome back!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:It isn't hard to cut it down but you could also get a Spikehorn and put a standard butt-stock on it.

Welcome back!
+1

Nice to see you back!!! :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice to see you back Bob. That's the same rifle I'm thinking about getting right now. I wish I'd have seen it sooner, my birthday was back in April. It would have been easy to justify it then. Alas I've allowed too much time to pass.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome back!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome back :)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Barrel length

Post by afish4570 »

Forty seven years ago I shot my 1st buck (and red deer) around the hot springs area around Lake Taupo...Back in my Navy days on an Antartric Deepfreeze Cruise. I used a borrowed 303 Mark 1 with a stock barrel, 25" even in the thick stuff no problem. For years I used a 12 ga. 28" barrel mod choked Ithaca 37 with a 2 1/2 Weaver) and shot 20 some deer from tree stands or in the swamps jump shooting, 356 Mod 94AE a 20",19 3/4" barrel on my 3006 SW Model B. Really does not matter that much to me I just shoot what I have inmy hand. Like my long barreled mil surps because the noise is further from the ears too. afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use a Winchester "Trapper" with the 16" barrel and 150gr bullets. It doesn't seem to have affected the performance in a "seat of the pants" sort of way. @ 200 yards my "center of target" on 12" steel circle hold still works.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hobie wrote:It isn't hard to cut it down but you could also get a Spikehorn and put a standard butt-stock on it.

Welcome back!
+1

Nice to see you back!!! :D
+2 :wink: !Welcome back.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."