Rossi M92 sight removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi M92 sight removal

Post by black river smith »

Which direction are Rossi sights removed? Left to Right or Right to Left??? This is on a Rossi 24" octagon barrel.

They do not want to move either direction. Are they by chance glued in??
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi M92 sight removal

Post by .45colt »

I just removed the rear sight on My Rossi 44-40 last week . left to right. didn't take much. I put a Marbles tang sight on it that I had hidden away years ago. would like to tell how good it shoots but We need to keep our heads down , and mouth shut....... as the Resident Rossi Hater (RRH) will soon be around peaking over your shoulder waiting to inform on Us . like a virus..... Stay Strong ..................................He is always watching , lurking , waiting to pounce....................................................................... :o :shock: :? ........... :lol: :lol: .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Always got RIGHT in or you'll be LEFT out as we were taught in gummsmiff skool.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for the replies.

I would like to think it is --- out from (left to right) and in (right to left) but this darn sight would not budge with general tapping. Did not want to hammer the heck out of it first, then ruining the presumed dovetail taper, before asking.

45Colt,
It is my intent to remove the plain steel Rossi and replace with a Marble sight, also. But the long Marble, I have, will not fit on this older Rifle version, sight is set back too far. So, I have to buy the short Marble version and I am making the front sight after I have my height measurement.

GunnyMack,
I started working left to right but no movement. Then tapped right to left, still no movement. That is when I stopped trying, until I asked for advice.

Happy Independence Day to you both and all.
Last edited by black river smith on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

45Colt,

Since these dovetails may not be tapered. Just how did you get your new sight to stay 'set'? What size slot did your rifle barrel have -- 0.400 or 0.385?

I am use to American older rifle sights not these. My 2019 Rossi SRC has the very nice semi-buckhorn (traditional winchester looking) sight. I would never change it on that rifle. But this octagon 44/40 has a very plain bent flat cut steel sight that has a rivetted base. Not the right look for a full Rifle version.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Several of mine have aluminum shims I placed under the sight because I think the Rossi dovetails are wider or deeper. Not a big deal though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I put a marbles tang sight on Mine. to fill the slot in the barrel I cut off the back of an old rear sight I had laying around . I gently peened down the edges of the barrel slot with a tiny hammer till the new filler was snug and then Loctite it in place .came out pretty good looking.
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks all, so I gave it more force with the brass hammer and or punch, the rear sight did start to move. I did not remove them until I have a replacement in hand. I have the rifle apart for deep cleaning and polishing. I do not want to reassemble it, then have to disassemble again, to install the new sights, if vise clamping is necessary.

Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I NOW, will get somewhere and something I like.