question for doc on his 500S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

question for doc on his 500S&W

Post by mickbr »

Doc, regards your 500 S&W, ever tried running shorter cases in it? The 500 special or 500 JRH are both essentially shorter versions of the 500S&W, I think the JRH is about a 1.46" case and the special is 1.2" ish.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: question for doc on his 500S&W

Post by AJMD429 »

Never tried; the only 50 Cal cartridges I have are 500 S&W and 50 Beowulf.

You might ask em in the Big Horn Armory website if it works. I’ll bet some would feed.

Both the S&W and Beowulf are pretty much identical in case capacity by the way.

Some day I want to try loading 50 Cal sabots and using smaller projectiles just for kicks; I wonder the ballistics of pea-gravel, for instance...

Prolly do that in my Breakopen 500 S&W Handi-Rifle though... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

thanks Doc, I mailed Bighorn and their rep Bryon got back to me and said he is not sure as they had never tried. There is an 18" barrel version nearby to me for sale. Wish it was the 22. I cant shake this urge to have a 50cal I dont really need :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I figured it can do anything a Marlin Guide Gun can do, only better - it is just as handy and DESIGNED for the high-pressure 500 S&W, so I feel much less apprehension than with a 30-30 turned into a 45-70. VERY well built and the nitride finish is perfect for a hunting rifle.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with them, but they were designed from the ground up to be .500 S&W, and the designed in strength is something that should be better than just upsizing a Marlin. I like my Marlin moder 336, and my Guide Gun. Still, the Guide Gun is not strong enough to handle what the BHA handles. That much is in the design specs.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I you have any of the shorter cartridges you want to mail me (maybe non-live ones better regulation-wise), I can see how well they feed.
Just PM me.
FBC9C107-A073-4B91-A28A-8042B9951CE9.jpeg

BTW the version I have (full length magazine carbine) is actually shorter and handier than my Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. As for ‘recoil’ I can’t tell much difference between it and the 1894; maybe like a 20 gauge shotgun...?

I told my wife I needed it cuz I thought I saw some Cspe Buffalo tracks back by the pond....and the 375 Ruger might go the job if there was just one, but what if they came at me faster than I could fire a bolt action...!!! :shock:

So in my case I really NEEDED the 89.... :D

( ...and mickbr, I notice you may have seen some Cape Buffalo tracks at your place a coupl'a year ago, yourself... > https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=74001 <

...so it's not just about getting a really cool gun you will treasure, but for your safety, and that of your family, you need to go get that Model 89 right now this weekend
.... :D )

[/enabler mode OFF]... :twisted:

As for the 18” barrel remember it is a ‘handgun’ cartridge, so you don’t really need a long barrel unless you just want more sight radius; check out their ballistics:

0A52A9A1-037F-401E-BDCC-F8E0AC407DEA.jpeg
(Click on link for clearer version —-> https://www.bighornarmory.com/wp-conte ... -02-15.pdf

The most potent factory load they list is a 400 grain hardcast 0.500” in diameter going 2,240 FPS generating 4,456 ft-lbs, and a Taylor Knock-out Factor of 64.... Pretty impressive from a gun about the size of an 1894 Marlin.

The longer barrel adds a hundred fps, and results in 4,971 ft-lb and a TKO of 68. Prolly too much meat loss with that if you shot a Cape Buffalo, but maybe ok for rhinos... :D

Here's a chart from their website illustrating comparisons with other chamberings and firearms - https://www.bighornarmory.com/wp-conten ... s-data.pdf

They are well-made and tough, with the waterproof epoxy wood finish and nitrided black-matte finished stainless steel, yet are beautiful guns:

(not my gun - photo from their website)

Here's mine - with a deer from a couple of years ago. No 'meat destruction' - like most large-caliber leverguns when you use hard-cast lead bullets, "you can eat right up to the hole", at least with the modest Buffalo Bore's 440 grain factory load I used - runs right around 1,500 fps, which is perfect for my needs, range and power wise. I know I could shoot something similar from a variety of guns, but none as handy, compact, and strong as the 89, and I can go way more powerful if I ever need to, or just for the fun of it... :mrgreen:
BHA Whitetail.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.