The Bersa-itus Cat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Bersa-itus Cat

Post by JimT »

One of the issues with living in the country is people who drop off their unwanted dogs and cats. Now it is sad if a person can't take care of their pet, but if they don't want it any longer and it is a problem animal, they ought to have the moral courage to either make sure it gets a home or else put it down humanely.

But animals get dumped and then those of us who inherit them have to deal with them.

A while back a large yellow cat showed up on the place. I discovered it when I noticed our barn cat was eating about a pound of cat food every few days. She's a smaller cat and there's no way ... so I started watching. Sure enough, I caught sight of this big yellow cat sneaking in and eating her food.

It was wary and fought with our cat, tearing up her ears and generally bullying her around. That was bad enough but it also crapped and peed just about any place except outside! I had enough and started watching for it. One day old yellow came in and started looking for the food. I had a Bersa .22 in my pocket, loaded with Remington Golden Sabre hollowpoints. Standing still I waited and when it was in position where I could safely take the shot I put one in its head. Lights out!

Now my friend Sixgun will think I was acting the hood, shooting a hoods gun to take care of the cat, but I will state absolutely that I DID NOT hold it sideways when I shot! And since I got it from my friend, the late Jeff Quinn, I believe it is a Tennessee Redneck gun.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: The Bersa-itus Cat

Post by AmBraCol »

It's sad when one has to do what someone else SHOULD have done, glad you got the job done cleanly. Those are nifty little poppers.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've never been able to handle any kind of stress or excitement first thing in the morning....yes, 12 noon is first thing in the morning for me......so........I get up, make my go juice, and stop to drop Nancy Pelosi off at the pool, turn on the Ipad, click on Leverguns, go to "General Discussion" and click on Jim T's post.......I discover I have a true friend in defining j.u.n.k., knowing that I have a compadre who knows what quality is. :D

"A Bersa for a cat".....now, my fine friends, let me, a knowledgeable guncrank let the uniformed know what a monumental feat Jim T accomplished. First, he got the pot metal piece of junk to fire!....then he was able to actually hit what he was aiming at. Well, I have an answer for that...Jim T is a true and trusted follower of the Lord, so he had divine intervention. It's the only answer as Bersa's and other low cost guns are J.U.N.K.

WELL DONE MASTER JIM!!!!!!

I used to have a 218 Bee I affectionately called my "cat rifle" which in reality only killed a mess of foxes and crows. Fordwannabe (Tom) scammed me out of it.

On a serious note we have two barn cats/ferals that we feed with cheap barn cat food....at nighttime, other people's cats, foxes, coons, possums, and skunks help themselves to it......ahhhhh..rather see them lurking around then hoodsters.

Thanks Jim for the laugh....if you need a real gun that works, give me a call, I'll send ya a Colt snake down to ya. :D -----006

Now, if I could persuade that Tutt character to know the difference between benchrest shooters and snipers, I'd be good-to-go.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks for the offer Sixgun, but I do not like Colt DA revolvers. Why Colt never learned to make a good one, I don't understand. But I do appreciate the offer.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Dumping your unwanted pets on anyone else is low class. Jim, glad you were able to put it out of the population.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I bet you felt real gangster after shooting that cat with that hood plinker! Did you put on some gangster rap and wear your hat backwards?
Whatever you do don't give in to temptation and get a neck tattoo! That's what happened to Sixgun. The last time I saw Six was at a underpass in Philly.
I was stopped at a red light when he spotted me. He left the shopping cart he was pushing grabbed a squeegee and ran up to my truck! He said, window wash boss!
I told him I just went for a wash about a hour ago. He pulled out a spray bottle he said was Windex. If memory serves me correctly Windex is blue, this was yellow and had a very unpleasant odor! He refused to stop cleaning my windshield with this concoction and a cheap squeegee his stole from Ahmad at the corner gas station. This is the gas station where he rinses out his boxers weekly. Any way I gave him $137.00 a pack of stale lifesavers and half a pack of Kool cigarettes' that a dayworker left in my truck. Thank god he saw his gang of homeboys awaken from there slumber under the bridge. That's when I made my break! All I remember was Sixguns tattoo of snoopdog on the left side of his unshaven neck! I'm still working thru the trauma with my therapist! I guess the moral of the story is Bersa bad Smith & Wesson good! :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

:D :D btw, the tattoo is not snoop dog......it's 50 cent...didn't you notice the 2 foot clock I was wearing?---006
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I'm sorry Six I thought it was Snoopdog. :D
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 pm Mister Murbach once wrote.....

"My favorite little .22 auto is a Bersa with 17,000 rounds through it and not one malfunction."

https://www.forum.paulmoreland.com/terry-murbach/
Once again for the Yacht Owners.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I only usually work one day a week now , but I can troll for dems all day just muttering "shoot a cat save a song bird" in no time at all they come unglued !!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why do the rappers get a tattoo or a name to remind them of their first sexual experience? Calvin likes short, big nosed, long eared girls with a big stomach. Curtis only paid 2 quarters for his first. Will Smith had to get some air freshener after his encounter with a big nosed guy who reminded him of the Prince.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have shot a Bersa .380 before. Decent accuracy and never saw it jam. Momma alwuss sayed thayet cheep is as cheep duz!
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:34 pm I only usually work one day a week now , but I can troll for dems all day just muttering "shoot a cat save a song bird" in no time at all they come unglued !!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:lol: :lol:

They just can’t handle reality.... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

So you killed one of Gods creatures. Big effing deal. There are organizations that will come out and trap a stray cat, "fix" it, give it shots it may need, and find it a new home. I have done this many times. I think some of you Levergunners just like to shoot something rather than do that which is responsible and considerate. I am going to avoid your posts in the future. Ya, I know, you are all broke up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yodar wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 pm So you killed one of Gods creatures. Big effing deal. There are organizations that will come out and trap a stray cat, "fix" it, give it shots it may need, and find it a new home. I have done this many times. I think some of you Levergunners just like to shoot something rather than do that which is responsible and considerate. I am going to avoid your posts in the future. Ya, I know, you are all broke up.
I agree and I'll add that you have a good heart.......I don't kill animals unless they need to be killed. About 7-8 years ago we had 10 feral cats living around my house and these people came out, trapped them with tuna fish, neutered them and brought them back. They would clip one of their ears....They charged me $20 for each cat and I paid them plus a hundred dollars extra for a tip. Several are still around....never had a mouse.

Feral cats are just doing what nature tells them to do. The problem is the human who helps to bring them into this world and then discards them.....that boils my blood...it also boils my blood when people get animals and put them in little cages while they are out and about because they don't want to mess up their hospital clean house.

And then there's the people who get animals without realizing the work and expense they need so they take them to the "shelter" or just "drop them off" somewhere to defend for themselves...in any weather.....

If there's a problem with a diseased animal I'll take care of the old fashioned way but that's few and far between...Every night we have two foxes that come up to the front door looking for scraps.

WHAT IVE LEARNED IN MY 66 YEARS IS THAT NEAR ANY MAMMAL WILL BE YOUR FRIEND AND WILL OFFER AFFECTION IF GIVEN THE CHANCE. ITS PEOPLE WHO ARE FERAL....NO ANIMAL HAS EVER STABBED ME IN THE BACK, TRIED TO TAKE MY JOB, STOLE FROM ME, LIED TO ME, ETC...ETC....ETC....

I did my share of hunting but have since given it up about 15-20 years ago. Hunting is necessary and a healthy sport..I just let others do it now......killing an animal, especially domesticated,.... for the sake of killing it is only to come back to you in other ways...(Ok now, I'm not talking about rodents, diseased animals, over populated pests, etc. -----6

Model A Uzi’s
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Yodar wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 pm So you killed one of Gods creatures. Big effing deal. There are organizations that will come out and trap a stray cat, "fix" it, give it shots it may need, and find it a new home. I have done this many times. I think some of you Levergunners just like to shoot something rather than do that which is responsible and considerate. I am going to avoid your posts in the future. Ya, I know, you are all broke up.
Well, well, a snowflake. Rare critter on this forum.

Critter, you are making a very wide assumption that there is some such organization somewhere, anywhere near where Jim lives. You don't ask, you don't suggest, no, you ASSume that you know. You are also lumping Jim with other Levergunners, ones that you think are of low character. A fine generalization, but really poor judgement on your part. Jim is a man among men. A man who devoted many years of his life (on his own dime) to helping others less fortunate than he. A true gentleman, something you've obviously never even heard of let alone aspire to.

You would do well to avoid my posts too. Please. In fact, why don't you just fade away. I seriously doubt you add much to the forum. Or maybe you do and you're drunk-posting. Not a good idea.

Cat
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It used to be a part of my job to catch feral cats and take them to the vet for whatever necessary treatment, every feral cat I caught and that was quite a few, was put down by the vet for carrying contagious diseases, a Cat welfare organisation paid for all treatment. When I was a gamekeeper feral cats were a major problem and shot on sight. As much as I like Cats they are predators and kill millions of songbirds each year and are inter breeding with our native Scottish wildcat which is seriously endangered, if people can't look after their pets then they should realise that someone else will.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Shooting the cat is nothing, the man denigrated Colt DA revolvers!!

You think you know somebody....

;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I LOVE KITTY CAT'S.......When they are on a farm in a barn or a neighbor who keeps them in the house. I HATE it when people have them and let them run . In the garbage , crapping in My garden and in the Grandkids sandbox that has to be covered all the time. cold rainy nights getting on the hood of My car with muddy paws because it's warm. peeing all over the place , I guess marking territory . fighting half the night in the yard. latest was a neighbor who had 3 cats that He stopped letting in the house and feeding them and they were freezing to death living under My front porch . a trail to and from My house in the snow a blind man could see. I won't feed them, I don't want them around........ :twisted: .
most of them don't need to be shot as they get whacked on the road. I'm 67 and sure don't want to deal with cat owners who let them run wild. one Guy looked at Me laughing and said it's not illegal and there is nothing You can do about it.............BET ME.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:03 am .... the man denigrated Colt DA revolvers!!
I never said Colt DA revolvers were degenerate.
I actually owned one once .. an old 1917 RCMP gun.
It was not degenerate in the least.
But it was HUGE!

:D
:lol:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I do not normally participate is such discussions where emotions may bubble up to the top, but -

among my best rifle shots ever was one made with my Daisy pump at night to get rid of a caterwauling tomcat as it cleared our front fence. Never saw it again. Someone likely tossed it into one of the camp incinerators.

That BB gun also once killed a flushing Bob white quail in front of a witness and put out the eye of a feeding dove while mom and brothers watched from the car. We ate the birds.

I have little tolerance for those so ignorant that they confuse animals with humans.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Jim T and 6 gun, I have nothing against Colt revolvers, I just grew up shooting S&W from .22 through .44 Mag and they fit me better than the Colt does. I won this Colt .357 years ago and only took it to the range one time before cleaning it and putting it back in the box.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I see things as they are and how they came to be.

Mankind has drastically upset the balance of nature and it's up to us to straighten it out.

Cats, like dogs, horses, pigs, exotic snakes and such, domesticated animals in general are kept by people and then shoved out the door because they are irresponsible in their care...and the animals future. Animals, like people love to make love and the final result is people don't want to deal with it.

These animals are only trying to survive, like you and me. No, I'm not snowflaking as I've shot more than my share of cats, a least a dozen dogs, ..... whatever...all feral and they needed to be shot.

We here at Sixgun Land have always had multiple animals of near every kind and one things we emphasized and that's when we took in an animal or had younguns, we made sure they were housed, fed, UNCAGED......and sometimes neutered. NO animal here has ever wanted for food or comfort.....our last three horses died in the last several years...28 years, 28 years and 40 years old they were.

I've lived a rural life from 1954 on...then the snowflakes moved in with their 5,000 sq foot houses and whined about us shooting deer......20 years goes by and it's the snowflakes whining about the deer eating their precious imported shrubbery....

It's all complicated and could be solved by everyone being responsible but that's not going to happen,so sometimes we have to do the 3 S's.......shoot..shovel...shut up.

And I've adopted Jim T as my dad......had the lawyers draw up the papers and now I can legally send him a decent handgun instead of that thing that starts with a B.........it pains me to hear someone having to use a Be-;a, R+%\i, U^~=ti,

I've also adopted Cowboy Tutt as my son for reasons that are in the same field, but different.

I'd bet my life Terry Murbach never shot 17,000 rounds out of a Bersa, maybe a case of Bersa's. We used to BS on the phone and he had the same likes as me....quality...
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

CRS...you have excellent taste in firearms......I see the guns you post.....you like those '95 Winchesters, Colts, double rifles....you don't buy j.u.n.k. :D

King Cobra......that's a NICE one!

In my experience Colt double action revolvers are generally more accurate than S&W's...caliber for caliber and frame size for frame size...they appear to get out of time before a Smith does but if you pay attention, the mechanism of the Colt will "click in" and lock up properly as the hammer is falling.

The Python below was bought new by me in '78 and has eaten up a fair amount of ammo, to the tune of 2500 rounds of mostly light to midrange. The Anaconda is still like new.....and the Bersa a buddy gave me is helping to hold my cement sidewalk together. The Rossi's make excellent reinforcing rebar or if your a gardener, tomato stakes.---6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If anyone is interested how Australia deals with feral cats check out this link. A long article but interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/maga ... =url-share
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The main reason I never had double-action revolvers is that my Daddy raised me on Colt Single Actions. He always had Colt's around the place. The first centerfire sixgun he gave me was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. That was the King of Sixguns back then. By the time I was 15 I casting the 173 gr. Keith SWC and loading it over 14.5 gr. 2400 fired by a Small Rifle Primer. That load would crack an old car rim at better than 100 yards. My first Colt I bought a few years later, a Second Generation .45 Colt SAA. Cost me a lot of money .... $150.00 cash! 'course it wasn't called a "Second Generation" then .... at least I never heard that term until many years later.

Dad shot double-action revolvers a lot. They were his main gun. He never shot single-action with his DA guns. At the first Shootists Holiday in 1986 the guys were amazed to see him standing on the 200 yard line, taking down the rams double-action. He worked for the Department of Corrections and ran the tower on the main yard. His shooting was widely known and when he was on duty things remained pretty quiet in the yard. He won so many Department matches they once asked him to not shoot a match so someone else would have a chance at winning. He asked if he could shoot the match totally left-handed. They said that would be fine. He came in Second, about 2 seconds or so behind the guy that won.

He shot S&W's pretty much exclusively. And he gave me lessons on why. His main sixgun from the mid- 1980's on was a 586 "L" frame. He recorded over 350,000 rounds through that gun during the next 20 plus years. There were quite a bit of ammo run through the gun that was not recorded. It's safe to say it had close to 400.000 rounds through it.

My brother now has it and shoots it occasionally.
It is worn-looking but still locks up tight and shoots fine.

And yes, it was rebuilt several times.... tightening up end-shake ... new hammer once .... new trigger once ... rebarreled once due to a squib stopping in the barrel in the middle of a rapid fire string.

Is it "better" than a Colt DA? Not really. Most guns are only as good as what they are used for and as their owner treats them.

But if I have to have a double action revolver my choice is the Smith.
I like their feel better.
I like their action better.
That's personal preference.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Dad..err Jim.......your dad was quite a fellow and had one of the rarest natural talents...to be the best with a revolver....I've seen a few over the years, not many. Most of us have to work at it just to be mediocre.........double action target shooting! Amazing....he must have used the "click in and slowly let off style"......when I do that the gun usually goes "bang" before I want it to.

Yes, I will agree with you on the personal preference.....I'd like to say that my hand was molded for a single action Colt, but in reality, my best shooting is with an N frame with the factory target stocks.....never cared for the magna style unless it had the Tyler grip adapter. My favorite semi auto grip is the Ruger .22's.

This N frame factory grip is best for me in offhand silhouette shooting.

Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yessir Six ... my personal FIRST preference is the Colt SAA grip or the old Ruger XR3 grip. On autoloaders I want the 1911 ... and the S&W K-frame double action grip with a Tyler T-grip fits me just fine.
tyler.JPG
Dad shot his DA pretty fast. He just worked at it all the time up until near 80. Back before it was bad to shoot glass he would have us toss a bottle into the air and tell him where to break it ... going up ... at the top ... coming down or 3 feet off the ground. He could do it pretty consistently. I never saw many better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've lost the full size photos ... the first is Dad putting 6 shots into a can thrown up above him ... using his .357 L frame with light full wadcutter loads ...
s11.jpg
This one is me busting boards in the air with full power loads in the .45 Colt ... Keith 260 gr. SWC and 18.5 gr. 2400
up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT, quite a story on your Dad. I am with him on choice. Here are what I consider my best two. No where near the rounds on your dad's but certainly over 10,000 between them. Here are a few of the best targets at various distances. On the 44 I experimented on 2400.loads from 11.0 grains up through 17.0 grains. The 12.6 is the most accurate I found. All the shooting was offhand slow fire. I had a pair of 7.5" New Frontiers in 44 and 45 that would do as well at 12 yards as the Smith. They should not have gone down the road.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:50 am JimT, quite a story on your Dad. I am with him on choice. Here are what I consider my best two. No where near the rounds on your dad's but certainly over 10,000 between them. Here are a few of the best targets at various distances. On the 44 I experimented on 2400.loads from 11.0 grains up through 17.0 grains. The 12.6 is the most accurate I found. All the shooting was offhand slow fire. I had a pair of 7.5" New Frontiers in 44 and 45 that would do as well at 12 yards as the Smith. They should not have gone down the road.
Nice work! Great guns. We all have had guns that should not have gone ....... :oops:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:09 am If anyone is interested how Australia deals with feral cats check out this link. A long article but interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/maga ... =url-share
Here's an excellent quote from that article:

“You can have a love for a domestic pet and still recognize the threat they pose to your native environment,”

Folks get all emotional about Fluffy's feral cousin and want them neutered - then released back into the wild, where they'd continue their depredations not only on rodents but also on song birds and other vulnerable species. But emotion, rather than reason, fuels the rejection of the most important way of controlling feral populations of felines.

We have also gotten away from the concept of us being stewards, not owners, of the planet. That means that sometimes we must make difficult decisions in order to maintain the environment with which we are entrusted.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you watch carefully, most people shoot better with a gun that fits their hand. That is why some folks get custom made grips. AJMD429 often mentions his hand size and long fingers as factors in what gun he likes. Even though all I own are Ruger Revolvers, I also like Smith & Wesson for how they fit my hand. One of my older brothers had a Model 19 many years ago. That was as good of a fit to my hand as any pistol has ever been. We shot it at chicken silhouettes at 100 yards. I remember missing once. I do not remember my brother ever missing. When a top quality pistol fits your hand, the accuracy will happen. Out at an abandoned landfill just North of town back in the early 80s, we were out target shooting. Some gent came out and set up some bottles with oranges sitting on top. He opened the case to a brand new model 29 stainless with a 10(I think-or maybe 10 1/2) inch barrel. He shot and was close, but missed all 6 shots. He reset the oranges that has been knocked over by the bullet passing close and tried again. Man what a show. He hit 3 of the oranges and they vaporized. It was fun to watch. He then offered to let us shoot it. My Brother got two and I hit one as far as I can recall. My brother then let the gent shoot the model 19. He got all 6 oranges. He had a bag of oranges and a case of empty glass bottles. The .357 vaporized the oranges, too. We used to have a lot of fun out there, and it was informal so targets were interesting. It was where I learned to fire off 18 rounds out of my Glenfield .22lr in about 2 seconds. I got accused of having a fully automatic many times. NOPE!!! I just knew how to make that rifle do an Olympic Sprint. It fit me.

I had an opportunity to purchase a Colt Python back in the 90s. I did not like the way it didn't fit my hand. It was just plain uncomfortable to hold. I passed. If I had tried to shoot I would have been convinced that Pythons are junk. They might be well fit and finished, but they have the worst grip design of all. Sorry Six, but that makes them JUNK in my book. The AMC Gremlin was only a little bit uglier. Pythons were the Phylis Diller of the pistol world.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

By the way, I consider abandoning a pet to fend for itself to be a cruel and despicable thing to do. Killing the abandoned animal once it has gone feral is a kindness from what I have seen. My relatives who lived on farms always had farm cats around. They were not pets, but they got fed just enough to come when the food was put out. That way they could be taken to the Vet for checkups and cared for. They were just hungry enough to hunt for most of their food. Mice and rats were scarce since the cats would kill them for food. Even small snakes were on the menu. The larger snakes could take care of themselves. Bull snakes were brought home when found. They were released in places where rattlesnakes might get to. Bull snakes can and do hunt and eat rattlesnakes. We were taught young to leave the bull snakes to do their job. I was a teenager before I saw a rattler out in the wild.
D. Brian Casady
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

Don't worry, no one could ever accuse you of being a snowflake! You've got way too much horse sense for that.

Jim,

Man, could your dad shoot! Would have loved to watch that action.

Piller,

Phylis Diller of sixguns! I love it. But don't hold back, tell us what you really think about Pythons! :)

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The Colt Python is the perfect sized gun for the .357 mag......it's luxury at its finest.....smooth.....accurate....and whatever else make a revolver great.

Jim...your dad was a real deal old world SHOOTIST in the true sense of the world. What a guy to have for a dad! Looks like your also doing pretty good shooting up wood. I never could get the hang of shooting things in the air, mostly because it has to be done way upstate....

I've got a half dozen of those Tyler grip thingys. I even reshaped one for a Ruger 10" Maximum.....

Cat...I know that bro....I understand about the cat thing and they are destructive animals....it's just a lot of aggravation could be saved if people would be responsible. Heck, some people are even that way with their children...they just spit em out one after the other with no regard as to their wellbeing. These are feral people and their parents could change that but you can't legislate morality.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:49 pm Looks like your also doing pretty good shooting up wood. I never could get the hang of shooting things in the air, mostly because it has to be done way upstate....
One of the benefits of growing up in places where people did not live on every square foot of land.
This is the ranch I grew up on ... nearest neighbor was 5 miles away. It was 200 yards across the coulee from the house and I grew up shooting across there .. and longer distances. You can see a .22 strike in the dust at a quarter mile easily. I never knew handguns were short-range things until I got older and started talking to other shooters .. and reading magazines.
taylor_ranch_a.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,
That's super cool! A guncranks paradise! In reality though, I know times were tougher at the time so you probably could not pop as many primers as you wanted to. I made $10 a week in the summer on a paper route and a grass cutting job......it was a big deal and expense to put tubes and tires on my bicycle, pay Boy Scout Dues, summer camp etc.

My dad had the money but he wouldn't part with it. I'm glad he did not as I know what a dollar is today. Funny thing, one of my lawn cutting jobs was for the father of one of my friends. My friend used to laugh at me saying, "Ha! You cut my grass for $5.00 and my dad just gives me $5.00 for doing nothing" My friend has been dead for some years now...liked his beer, weed, and cigarettes and I'm still here, cutting my own grass.....and shooting Pythons and single action Colts. :D -----006
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When I bought my own first Single Action Colt .45 I was on the place in the photo .. and there was an old abandoned Ford couple about in line with with ditch running from the bottom of the photo toward the top right .... about a quarter mile from the house. I had a box of factory W-W .45 Colts with the copper looking bullets. I held up some front sight and fired at the old Ford and saw dust kick up past it. I lowered the front sight and fired again and hit short. I guessed at a midway hold and fired the 3rd time. No dust. Then a CLONK drifted back to me. It was very satisfying.
2.JPG
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well having been back east and out west, guys from each that are very knowledgeable: ;-) JT seems to have no back east in him and Six should have been out west. Guys that know from experience, could be very interesting.

I will explain arguing with Tutt in another post.

I'm looking at you guys ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

From the Australian article:

“... We have also gotten away from the concept of us being stewards, not owners, of the planet. That means that sometimes we must make difficult decisions in order to maintain the environment with which we are entrusted.
...”

This is the price we pay for enjoying such a wonderful place to live. It isn’t “fun” to shoot feral cats or dogs, (other than just the mastery of the physical challenge of that level of marksmanship, etc. needed to make a humane kill, which there is nothing wrong with celebrating), but it IS a sign of a willingness to be a RESPONSIBLE steward of the land, and advocate for ALL wildlife, not just the cute cuddly stuff.

As for neuter-and-release, it is still not a good thing to do ecologically. As for becoming shelter-animals, 99% of feral cats where I live would wind up ‘euthanized’ anyway because there are more cats than people willing to adopt them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OTOH, when the poop hits the propeller, there will be feral MREs running around for a week or so . . .
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Something I read years ago....They're not "mating" them to death, they're eating them! Dang PETAs! :roll: And I don't mean People Eating Tasty Animals, I mean the other kind!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

People for the unEthical Treatment of humAns!
D. Brian Casady
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

Sounds like an S3 situation. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

I can tolerate feral interloper animals much easier than Socialists and Communists. They tend to upset the natural order of things and are counter to healthy human behavior.
Just my opinion. MK
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Several years ago, a feral Mom decided to have her kittens...six of them...on my back porch. I took care of feeding them until Mom weaned them, and when the kittens were on their own, I trapped them, and took them to the local shelter. They were supposed to get fixed and notched. The shelter tried very, very hard to get me to agree to returning them to me. :evil:
End of story, those guys wiped out my beloved yard squirrels and birds. :evil: :evil: Haven't seen a stellar jay, robin etc since.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back in the 1930s near Turpin, OK, someone was seen to be driving on the dirt section roads in a car that was not from there. The person who told me about it said that the car had been noticed by someone on the neighboring farm. Suddenly a gunny sack was tossed out that was full uf something, and the car took off. One of the Neighbor's sons got to the fence about that time with what must have been a .22 rifle. The person telling me about the incident said that a cat popped its head out. The farm kid killed it. This happened more than a dozen more times. Back then every farm had enough cats, and a bunch more would have become a problem in short order. Well, word got around. It was at least 50 years before anyone dropped off a bunch of unwanted cats in that area again.
D. Brian Casady
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jom, we need a pic of you in a hoody, sagging pants and holding the Bersa sideways gangsta-style! :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!