This is interesting.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

This is interesting.....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This is interesting.....

Post by Tycer »

All of my 357 mag hunting has been with hardcast wfn 180s. I have never had one stay in an animal. They leave a clean 3/4” hole resulting in very fast blood loss. Many faster cartridges can actually leave so much pulverized tissue as to plug the wound channel keeping pressure up.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm with Tycer on this one. My solution was to switch to 44mag, exactly as mentioned in the article.

I never hunted food with hollow point ammo. The wound photos in the article explain why.

His emphasis on hunting with hollow point ammo tailored to the game at hand can make someone under gunned and over gunned on the same day. The author sites the difference between a 100 pound animal and a 132 pound animal with regards to the preferred ammo. I never weighed animals before shooting them. I hunted with a load that makes meat AND has the possibility of stopping the apex predator hunting me. So if you are suited up to hunt 100 pound animals, what are you going do when the 350 pound boar charges out of the bush?

i still roll my eyes every time i see the "dumped all the energy" meme. i reflexively want to ask why people don't use hollow point arrows. just a me-thing i guess . . .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I know that some folks study things, but there are a lot of people who just do it without studying it. Seems to me that the many hunters who use hard cast 180 grain .357 bullets are just doing it instead of putting a waste of time into it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Ray wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:15 am Nothing novel to most of us but well written.....

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... agnum.html
I have doubts about this guy.. he mentions so many configurations on game, just in 357 he touts opinions on 50 different bullet combos...

Also his comments about handgun hunting, pretty sure in New Zealand where he is they cant hunt with handguns..

And this comment did it for me

'"Depending on the bullet design, most jacketed hollow point handgun bullets will continue to expand down to impact velocities of around 800fps with good bullet designs such as the XTP continuing to display some level of expansion down to impact velocities of 600fps"

anyone making that statement hasnt tested many 357 bullets at that speed. Maybe two bullets expand in the 800's, Remington 125 Golden sabre and the speer short barrel 135 GDHP. A 158XTP at 600fps? Nope. I think he sounds like a guy who does have a decent amount of experience, but he doesnt let on where that experience ends and the conjecture starts.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I’ve read many of this guys articles and did some research on him as well. He’s a decent writer, but it’s just not possible that he’s that amazingly knowledgeable about every bullet, every distance, every animal. Someone would have to shoot thousands of animals and do an analysis of each one in order to reach the conclusions he has. I don’t claim to know everything, except what I’ve done myself. It’s amazing to me that we have people like him who claim to be experts....but he has shot a good bit of game animals so he has some credibility. Then we have the internet experts who have read everything so they also know everything. Last, but the weakest level of “expert”, are those who shot an animal or two and tote the results as typical or factual. It’s difficult to gain truth when there’s so much noise in the mix. If the writer had spent a lot of time dedicated to one caliber and one game species and reported the results it would be much more meaningful. As a retired quality/statistical person, it takes a decent sample size of anything to indicate something is a “fact”.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jmiller wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:16 am it takes a decent sample size of anything to indicate something is a “fact”.
THANKS!! It is so good to see this in print.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

So you are saying that a sample size of only ONE is not enouth to extrapolate? :o
But, it is 100% of the sample! :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:39 am So you are saying that a sample size of only ONE is not enough to extrapolate? :o
But, it is 100% of the sample! :lol:
exactly correct on both points. i have to remind myself daily that assumptions are NOT facts, guesses are not facts, opinions are not facts, UNLESS there is unimpeachable evidence to substantiate.

this is the super-attraction of scripture for me. the FACTS are at the intersection of True OR False.

BUT you already know all of this of course