.32 associates.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

.32 associates.....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .32 associates.....

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have often thought that the .32 H&R mag probably makes more sense for a snub nosed revolver than the .38 or .357 (though I carry a .357 J frame frequently).

Thanks for sharing the articles. Weekend reading.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Good friend of mine has gone from carrying a 38/357 to carrying a 32 lc/mag as he is getting arthritis in his hands a bit. He says he can practice more with the 32, than he can with the 38.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Loading the .327 Federal Magnum to the low end in a revolver chambered for them does seem to give good accuracy and comes out about to the upper end of the S&W Long power levels. My experience with that caliber is limited, but it has been all positive. Lighter loads in a .327 Federal do seem logical for small game. The old .32-20 in a pistol seemed to work well for quite a variety of uses.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've been a fan of the 32 SWL for a long time. The most accurate resolver I've ever shot was my wife's Taurus in 32 SWL. Haven't messed with it since late in the 20th Century when we moved out of the Amazon Basin to the Andes and had to leave it behind. This year, the Good Lord willing, we'll have a 327 Federal come to live in the cache for our use when up north. This has renewed my interest in the 32 caliber family of cartridges, especially the straight wall versions. I've never messed with the 32-20, but an acquaintance in NE Brasil had a CBC centerfire in that caliber and was loading it way hotter than SAAMI specs. But in a more portable package the 32 does a very decent job of filling a lot of niches, even though many look down on it as a pip-squeak caliber. Hand loading is where it's at (pay no attention to the participle dangling out there) in the 32, especially in the SW and SWL version. In a solid framed resolver they can be loaded warmer than factory and given a decent profile bullet they perform pretty well. Somehow in my enthusiasm for the promised arrival of the new launching platform I've managed to locate and order a very decent supply of various weights of projectiles to launch. So far only 32 SWL brass has turned up, but if Starline doesn't come through before I head north there's a promise of a couple boxes worth of 327 brass if need be. Since the idea behind this particular pistol is to replace my wife's old sixgun, I envision the 32 SWL as the most likely fodder for its use over time as she's not a shooter and gets along much better with less loud loadings - which the 32 SWL does in spades.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks a bunch for the links. Glad to find out the .32 Long can be made into a respectable round.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

38s...less pressure, less noise, bigger bullets. Same, or better terminal performance.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Love my .32s!

I carry a S&W Model 631 4" (stainless, 32 H&R) as a sidearm in the woods, and I also have a Model 16 4" (blue, also in 32 H&R but marked "32 Magnum") for the range.

Here's some .32 bullet tests that I did years ago -- I would not want to get hit with any:

32 Bullet Tests.jpg
I find factory 32 H&R Magnum loads to be easily managed in the small Mdl 631 -- not unpleasant to shoot at all.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The .32 Short in the proper gun is one of the funnest and accurate cartridges to shoot....dang near dead quiet, quieter than a .22 standard rd.

I shoot mine all the time out back and the neighbors never complain. This 1880's S&W is beer can accurate to 50 yards and the Ruger will do it at 100....quietly. With the 115 Lyman in the Ruger it's potent.---6
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Another head scratcher: Why the heck did I sell that Ruger Single Six I had in .32 H&R Mag? :cry: :lol:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if Hobie got one with some issues.

PillHer's SP101 in .327 Federal is slick enough and it hits everything at which she aims. Universal Clays and lead 115 grain bullets make fun plinking ammo for it. The lead bullets are designed for the .32-20. That flat point seems to go straight as a laser. The 100 grain XTPs for it with a near max load of H110 are LOUD! We have not yet tried them on anything other than paper.
D. Brian Casady
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My go to carry is an old Colt Pocket Positive with 2.5' barrel, very accurate with longs and shorts. Small, lightweight and very comfortable to wear.
Have a Gary Reeder customized Ruger Vaquero in 32H&R, and also very accurate with anything I have fed it, also light weight, easy to carry at least in colder months with more clothes, coats
Recently purchased a 7 shot Charter Arms Professional 32H&R with 3" barrel, havent shot it enought to warrant everyday carry, but also an easily carried gun.
Still eyeballing a Ruger sp101 in 327mag, little heavy is my concern, dont like the LCR much, light,but I dont know, it just doesnt do it for me,

Love the 32's also have a Berretta tomcat in 32acp.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What some have called baby Vaqueros, actually .32 Caliber Single Sixes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I have my old mans S&W 32 long I frame hand eject.. late model 50's version, handy and cute as a bug., lol..few times I used it , it hit everthing I aimed at, and is easy to carry, I use it as a woods gun for whatever pops up.
No, it's not the "recommended" self defense caliber, but I sure wouldn't want to get shot by one, it seems to punch above it's weight....
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 pm What some have called baby Vaqueros, actually .32 Caliber Single Sixes.
Here's my pair. Love'm
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting, consecutive?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Not consecutive. It took a couple years to find a second one. Same seller though.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Did he agree to hold the target? That's what I thought!

Those 5.7 mm pistols seem to overpenetrate too much for my liking. I have others in the house and there are neighbors next door. I will stick with less penetration for my first 5 shots. After that I will be awake and fully alert.
D. Brian Casady
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It has to do with much more than 32's, but I found this article quite interesting. Plus it explains why the 32 was so popular there, until it wasn't any more.

https://revolverguy.com/guns-in-brazil/
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good read! It was incredibly informative. The accuracy of a .32 caliber over the .380 ACP was not something I had ever even thought about.
D. Brian Casady