.44 Mag reloading questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Basswrangler
Levergunner

.44 Mag reloading questions

Post by Basswrangler »

I've just picked up a pound of H110 and I'm pretty excited to give it a try. The only other powders I've used are Unique and Bullseye, so this is a big step up in power. Anyway, I was planning on using 240 grain gas checked SWCs. I used a Lee Lube and Size kit to size the bullets and seat the gas checks and I made the brilliant decision to buy the kit before I knew the actual daimeter of my bore :roll:. Anyhow, my bullets are sized to .429 and actual groove dia. is closer to .430.Am I asking for trouble by using .429 cast bullets? Also, can I use data for 240 grain jacketed bullets for 240 grain gas checked cast bullets?

Thanks a lot!
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

H110 is not a powder I would use for cast Bullets. and as for your 2nd Q NO use the load for lead bullets cast will shot faster than jacket bullets. H110 is a powder that you have too stay with the load in the book don't try to use it in Reduced loads. the best powder that I have found it 2400.
Basswrangler
Levergunner

Post by Basswrangler »

Guess I'll just stick to the Bullseye and Unique untill I get my hands on some jacketed bullets. Thanks for the help 2row.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

+1 for 2400! It's probably the most flexible of the magnum pistol powders, allowing you to assemble heavy-moderate to heavy loads without pressure or ignition worries. IIRC, somewhere around 21.5-22.0 grs. is max, I have loaded as light as 18.0 grs. with excellent results using 250 gr. cast SWC's. If loading H-110 on the other hand, load it EXACTLY as Hodgdon recommends, reduced loads with this powder can be problematic (this applies to Olin #296 as well, it'is basically the same powder).

Now, if I want a high performance load with a 240-250 gr JACKETED bullet in my .44 mag, H-110/296 are my go-to powders, 24.0 gr with a mag primer and a 240 gr Hornady XTP hollow-point, it is a wondrous load!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

centershot wrote: 24.0 gr with a mag primer and a 240 gr Hornady XTP hollow-point, it is a wondrous load!
I'll second that!

I have used H110 with cast bullets. BUT they are very hard gas checked bullets, are a proper fit to my bore and are being pushed as hard as a jacketed bullet. They do great with H110.

For light to moderate cast bullet loads your better off with a faster burning powder.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I load 44 mag for a Winchester Trapper and for an EMF Hartford rifle (24" barrel) model 92. I pretty much exclusively use 2400 powder for both, with jacketed or cast bullets. You may want to look up a good load for 2400 and try a few of those .429 bullets, just for grins. Both of my 44's work really well with a Lyman 429215 sized to .429. Your bullets may work better than you expect them to. I agree with other posters about H110. Powders like 2400 and Unique are much easier to work with, and useful with a variety of bullets.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I also like Accurate #9 for .44 mag. That can be loaded up or down, very similar to 2400 (even to the grain weight), but I think it's a little cleaner.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Powder

Post by HEAD0001 »

+++2 on 2400. I do not care too much for the powder's you listed for cast bullets. I like slower powders with good case fill. Tom.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

not to start a war, but since when is H110 or W296 (same propellant) not good with cast bullets?

These are THE propellants for the heavies IMHO. They are actually a step down in power if you consider that their burning rates are lower, but of course, they generate higher velocities than the fast burners do, so I understand what you're saying.

How do you know your bore is .430" Did you slug it? If you are thinking that you need to be .01" over bore size with cast bullets, you are thinking right. But with the gas check in place, you may be just dandy.

Mic the seated gas checks and sized bullets and see what they actually are.

I like the Lee sizer dies and use them extensively. They produce an accurate bullet with trued-up base.

Do stick with the load books of course, but don't hesitate to give your bullets a try with the H110 - use the magnum primers as directed as this powder is harder to ignite than the fast pistol powders.

Also, cast bullets need a clean/un-copper fouled barrel to shoot well. My Ruger Blackhawk .44's do and it makes a big difference. So, clean them well before shooting the cast bullets.

Finally, if you aren't using it already, I suggest giving the Lee Liquid Alox a shot - it comes with the sizer die set, so you may already be on to this. I've had excellent results with it. It works espcecially well with cast bullets in rifles - 2000 fps.

Have fun!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

+3 for 2400 or if you can find it and want a super clean, low flash, & blast powder use VV N110.
LET-CA
Levergunner

Post by LET-CA »

I use H110 and W296 with my cast bullets all the time with no problems at all. I routinely shoot 265 grain gas-checked bullets with 21.5 grains of H110 (my favorite load in my Winchester 94). The mould is a custom Lee mould. I size my bullets to .432 through a custom Lee sizer and lubricate them with Lee's Alox. No problems with leading or accuracy.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Blue Dot = almost H110 and no blowtorch effect..... I prefer it over 2400 by a long shot....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Basswrangler
Levergunner

Post by Basswrangler »

Well, I think I'll see how these bullets work with a mild charge of Unique (already have a box loaded) before I try them with the H110. Still, thanks for the info so far and I'm still open for suggestions.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the sized/lubed/GCd bullets with any type of powder yet. I just know that these bullets (old Dillon .430-.431 SWCs) leaded horribly over an 8.5 gn charge of Unique before I got the Lee size die. Guess I'll find out here sooner or later.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I've had good luck with H-110 and cast with GC's

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That'll do Deerwhacker! :D
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8