1866 winchetser sling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

1866 winchetser sling

Post by coyote nose »

I see lots of 1866 Winchesters with the sling loops on them, but never a sling. No doubt the original leather has rotted away from most of them, but any idea what the originals looked like? I would like to recreate one for my 1866 rifle.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 1866 winchetser sling

Post by gamekeeper »

Couldn't find a sling but Homestead Parts advertised these genuine Winchester 66/73 sling hooks.
slinghook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The only picture I have of a 66 with a sling.
12498921_1m.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Here is my 94 with hooks and the correct old sling...

Stefan
Sweden
Win94 25-35 TD DST - kopia.JPG
IMG_5667 - kopia.JPG
IMG_5669 - kopia.JPG
Last edited by Hombre on Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The ones I recall seeing in The Winchester Book by Madis looked pretty much identical to the H-K g3 leather slings (without the snap/clip thing on the end). They used to be cheap and plentiful, but recently seem to be out of stock or much more expensive than previous.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Yes, the snap/clip thing came a bit later than the 1866 sling. All 1866 rifles I have seen with what appears to be original sling swivels have complete swivels, and not just the eye hook.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I didnt mean the Winchester snap/hook thing, I meant the H-K snap/hook that comes on their slings.

The sling otherwise looks exactly like the old slings in The Winchester Book by Madis. Plain leather, simple sliding metal adjuster and stud/button keeper on the other end.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?