Star sizer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Star sizer

Post by hondo1892 »

I bought a used Star sizer three or four years ago. It took me a couple of years to get around to ordering a couple of sizer dies in diameters that I wanted. Today I finally sized my first bullets with it. It had some old hard blue lube in it and I used it up on some .430" SWC boolits. I don't have a heater for it but it was mounted to an aluminum plate when I got it. I used a heat gun to heat it up so the lube would flow. It took a bit to figure out where to point the heat gun and how long to heat it. My first "heat" I had the lube flowing out of a couple places like it was water. After I got the hang of it I could really run through the bullets. Kinda like getting a zero turn lawn mower after years of using a regular lawn mower. I still like my Lyman sizer for gas check bullets but the Star is a mighty slick lube sizer for plain base boolits. Wish I would have got it going years ago.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Star sizer

Post by Bronco »

I have one with a heater, just love it! Works great even when gas checking. The heater unit, I bought with the sizer, has a rheostat, so I got it dialed in to just the heat I want and the unit turns itself on and off to keep the temp just right. Been using LBT blue with it. I have the sizer - heater unit attached to a phenolic plate which is bolted to a aluminum plate. The aluminum plate has holes in it the are common to the plates I have other presses on. One set of holes in the bench and I can switch plates out to change things.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Bronco which way do you feed the bullets when you using gas checks?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Nose first! Same as plain base.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hondo, the Starr is wonderful for gas-check bullets. It took this ignorant *** 20 years to figure that out -- don't make my mistake. I now feel real abused if I have to do some gas-checked bullets on the old Lyman because I don't yet have the right sized Starr die. I did a post on this very subject a couple weeks ago in fact https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 30#p900530
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks Earl.