Winchester expert needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester expert needed

Post by jnyork »

I need someone who is really knowledgeable to guide me along here.

Years ago I inherited a Winchester Model 1894 Saddle Ring Carbine in .25-35. This rifle was made in 1908, as far as I can tell from the serial # which is 4592xx. It is in only fair shape and some might say poor. The blue on the mag tube and barrel retain about 80% of the bluing. The receiver, barrrel band, lever and butt plate are grey. There are numerous little dings on the receiver and buttplate. The bore is very dark with rifling visible. The saddle ring is still present. The 3-notch rear sight is still present as is the bead front sight. The stocks have been given a coat of varnish , probably with a brush. I have fired this rifle a little in the past, it is fully functional as far as I can tell. This rifle came from from an old ranch in the vicinity of Janesville, CA with much time being spent in the Black Rock Desert.

Making out my will and wondering if I should leave it to a museum or go ahead and sell it. Have no clue what someone might pay for it, I trolled around on GunBroker a little and could not come up with much.

All help will be appreciated, reply here or by PM.

Thanks. Jerry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester expert needed

Post by Ray Newman »

Not a Winchester expert, but I would sell it. Find someone you trust to give you an honest appraisal and the list a "4Sale" here or on a Winchester or western related shooting web page.

A friend once looked into donating some expensive art work to a museum and backed out. The contract claimed "at any time and/or for any reason the museum may/can sell the donated art work." Not sure if that is applicable in all cases, but I would carefully read the donation contract/agreement and get a second opinion.

As for donating a firearm, I dunno about that unless it can be connected to a historical figure or event. Again you need to look into the donation contract/agreement. Have a hunch that unless the museum is western themed, has historical firearms, or has firearms in general on display they might turn it down out of hand -- can't have a display of such dangerous things ya know.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I just sold a 1894 src in 32 spl. that was beat up pretty bad with old battle scars filled in with some kind of wood filler, the gun was used 50 years in a sheep wagon or horse back & maybe dragged part of the time
the bore was maybe a 4 or 5 but it shot & worked just fine with original sights, i had it to 6 gun shows
but never had a offer on it, i posted a few guns in the local area in the last few months
and just sold it for 700 bucks with 2 boxes of ammo & glad to get that out of it

like they say condition is every thing ------ the gun was made around 1911

Brad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here's praying that you don't need that will anytime soon :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Love to see a picture of the gun. Sounds like it spent a lot of time around where I used to hang out. As soon as it warms up a little I am heading out on the Black Rock for a week of just getting away.

I have possession of a 94 25-35 delux. It was either made in 1907 or 1909 depending on what site I go to. 4443XX It is in great shape. Octagon barrel. It is actually my brother's rifle but he has offered to give it to me but think I need to give him something. I am trying to figure out a "fair" price for it too.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I wouldn't donate it to no museum as most are run by liberals. I'd throw it in the river before I'd let some liberal get their hands on it just so they could sell it and reward themselves on your dime. (Yea, my whole attitude has drastically changed since the stolen election.)

The 25-35 in the saddle ring carbine version is the most sought after, therefore the most valuable. The 38-55 comes after that, followed by the 32-40, 32 Spl. and finally the 30-30. Just like old Camaros...there's a lot of them out there with 6 cylinders and low cam small blocks but everyone wants....and are more willing to dig deep for the big blocks.

As with all guns, condition, originality, and rarity speak.....you already have a somewhat scare gun. In the era your gun was made gumwood stocks were common but it might be walnut...Gumwood dings up more easily.

There's a million things to look for and I can't give you a value until I see detailed pictures. If it has that much original blue on the barrel and mag tube it tells me it sat a lot as most SRC's are beat, especially if they came from the West.

What looks bad to some people looks good to others. Is the gun "clean" as in no unsightly rust pits or major gouges on the wood? Wood to metal fit? Markings clear and legible? Screws buggered up? Are right angles on the metal worn smooth or rounded?

I've had a couple over the years and have one left.....some years back I had a so so one which was clean but worn and not as tight as I like them...sold it for 15 at a show. The one I have now is a very clean example with a lot of blue, perfect bore, etc and I'd say 22-28.......

A picture of the receiver with the tang area showing would tell me a lot.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I have owned and shot dozens of 94 Winchesters in 25-35. I have killed all sorts of big game with them, even a grizzly bear. The 25-35 is one of the most desirable chamberings you can get in a 94. The SRC is also a desirable configuration. That is all good, the bad is the condition.

First of all, don't donate it to a museum. I doubt it is the condition of a museum piece unless it had some unique pedigree or provenance. Aside from that, museums don't take good care of firearms. They could put it in a box in a basement somewhere that it would never be displayed or loan it to some self proclaimed gun expert and it never gets back to the museum.

The condition is always the most defining aspect of any firearm. Again, 25-35 is a plus, but many of the 25-35s that have survived, have dark bores. I can't say why so many have such bad bores, as all the guns from that era were shot with much the same kind of ammunition. Somehow, due to bore diameter, rifling twist, corrosive priming took a toll on the bores of the 25-35.

The 25-35 was the first of the "fast twist" craze that we seem to see so much of these days. The 117 grain bullet was a long projectile and the 25-35 came with 1/8 twist and when you look at the bore, it will look like a corkscrew. A good soaking/cleaning may clean that up quite a bit.

Many of the SRC of that era also had "gumwood" for the stocks. It is a very soft and unimpressive wood that makes what could be a nice old gun, more of a tool. Varnish applied with a brush doesn't help much with the look and value of a gun like that.

If it does function and fire, it still has value, although not a lot. Your description makes it sound like a gun that would be less than $1000.00 in value. How much is hard to tell without pictures, but sell it or give it to a kid that would be thrilled to own it. I remember being that kid years ago and the greatest value of that gun isn't in dollars...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OK, here's some pix.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Jnyork that gun is beautiful compared to the 32 spl. i had
I am interested in more comments now that you have photos

Brad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sent you a PM, Ol logger
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

I was expecting a lot more beat up gun than that. Looks to be in very good shape to me.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I agree. It's not that bad. I would work on the bore before I did anything. See how it cleans up.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

shasta_steve wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:02 pm I was expecting a lot more beat up gun than that. Looks to be in very good shape to me.
Me too. That is Gumwood, but overall the gun looks good. The bore is the real key to it's value. Dark but good rifling, it could easily bring over $1,000.00.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

looks supergood to me if it shoots straight it is priceless, unless you really want to sell
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

the folding leaf express sight appears completely intact and that is a valuable sight itself.
the bore may clean up and for that matter it may shoot well, regardless.

nice gun, has ' real character' and very appealing look. someone should grab it and put it to use.
cable