New year’s buck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

New year’s buck

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

First thing this morning I made meat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New year’s buck

I probably would have let him go. But he was favoring a rear foot. Had an old gunshot wound right at a joint. I’m not sure how a man can miss by this much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good for You Scott , My guess is someone shot at Him on the run.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Very nice ! Very good way to start the New Year 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks good, congrats Scott. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, I went after a Muntjac today and all I got was wet and cold.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I looked outdoors this morning and shivered... went back to my easy chair and turned on the tv!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I remember years ago (25-30) coming across a buck limping with a green, I mean green, shoulder. Wasn't legal but I put him down anyway, thinking the right thing to do. Talking my way out of a ticket - if caught- was not a worry back then with the wardens of the time. Today's Montana warden is more likely to be a college educated, zero experience and city bred. Some are excellent though too many an example of the state of the system.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

As a kid, my Dad shot a BIG buck at a 10 section place in Sonora. That buck had a similar wound just N of the hock, big around as a soda can. Asking our old friend Felix about the deer he said he'd be thinking about that wound every time he ate it, and we left it for the varmints.
I shot a doe that was limping badly with the left front ankle locked backwards and funky looking wound, and left it for varmints. The dude that shot the deer in the ankle went driving around the ranch for hours and came back to a missing deer that he thought was stolen by a lion :roll: he was not invited back.
Handsome looking deer there.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I plunked a doe during ML season over twenty years ago . She was hobbling along when I shot her . When I looked at her the left front hoof and about 3 to 4 inches above were missing musta been awhile because it was pretty well healed if you disregard about half an inch of bone sticking out .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Injuries like that are enough to make you want to enforce some type of hunting apprentice situation. Like families used to do.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:48 pm Injuries like that are enough to make you want to enforce some type of hunting apprentice situation. Like families used to do.
I blame scopes in the hands of amatures.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

When we had access to that 3600 acres near Del Rio, I took a lot of guys hunting out there. There were plenty of deer, but the Audad seemed to capture everyone's attention. An Audad is all gut and very little in the way of heart and lungs and those are way up front. I cannot tell you how many of these animals we took that had multiple healed over gunshot wounds. Those goats are TOUGH!

I generally shoot animals up close. This one was about 15 yards with a 130 gr Hog Hammer Remington factory load in a .300 Blackout. He went all of about 10 yards before piling up.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Many years ago my brother and I were deer hunting when he shot a nice 6x6 mule deer buck. When we got to him to field dress him I noticed one front knee was the size of a large lemon. In the center was an old scar caused by a bullet hole. The deer couldn't bend his knee but somehow had healed up, and was doing fine up until that afternoon.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Scott i used to hunt a place on the Devils River about 19,000 acres and ran into Audad pretty regularly, usually hunting turkeys while armed with .22s. This place was near Bakers Cave and had excellent fishing large and small mouth, catfish, caves. The place was so big you could get lost, but would not support any livestock excepting goats.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

octagon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 pm Scott i used to hunt a place on the Devils River about 19,000 acres and ran into Audad pretty regularly, usually hunting turkeys while armed with .22s. This place was near Bakers Cave and had excellent fishing large and small mouth, catfish, caves. The place was so big you could get lost, but would not support any livestock excepting goats.
I'd sure like to have a large place like that to wander around on again. When the first white men came to that area, they wrote that the grass was "stirrup deep". Now, due to the lowering of the water table and overgrazing by sheep and goats, much of it looks like a moonscape.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Center pivot irrigation has lowered the water table horribly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:53 am
octagon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 pm Scott i used to hunt a place on the Devils River about 19,000 acres and ran into Audad pretty regularly, usually hunting turkeys while armed with .22s. This place was near Bakers Cave and had excellent fishing large and small mouth, catfish, caves. The place was so big you could get lost, but would not support any livestock excepting goats.
I'd sure like to have a large place like that to wander around on again. When the first white men came to that area, they wrote that the grass was "stirrup deep". Now, due to the lowering of the water table and overgrazing by sheep and goats, much of it looks like a moonscape.
Here's one man's way of dealing with that situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSPkcpGmflE
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Paul,

That is a wonderful example of what we should be doing. I'm glad you shared that video.