The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:41 pmTrying to discern the thread subjects here.
Yeah, I always thought the subject should have been something along a common thread... but the only thing I can discern, is that we might talk about it in a gun room... then again... that pretty much leaves it wide open... no?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, I think you got it. Gunny seems to think he is supposed to report his daily itinerary. OW, reports various things as does piller. fwb similar. I stir it on occasion.

Six is the ringmaster. Floating course of subjects come up.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
I have probably 300 books and out of all of them this is the most interesting and informative on loading and shooting cast bullets. Written by Gerald Kelver from compilations of the famous Ned Roberts......published in 1951.....Ned was born in 1866 and lived through the days of the old guns and what made them tick.

Maybe it's because I have this knowledge in my head is what turns me against much of today's junk.
These old guns were built starting in the 1870's...or in second grade math, 150 years ago.

[url=https://postimg.cc/878jXvc8][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Jz0ZncWh/IMG-8535.jpg[/i

[url=https://postimg.cc/xq4kHhS1][img]https://i.postimg.cc/J41bwC6Z/IMG-8536.jpg[/im

[url=https://postimg.cc/LngJVDHB][img]https://i.postimg.cc/YqbQMDZV/IMG-8537.jpg[/i

[url=https://postimg.cc/pmDywd5m][img]https://i.postimg.cc/52rvFYxS/IMG-8538.jpg[/
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, one of my best friends is Ron Carmichael. He owned a local gun shop here, The Gun Shop. Most of mine come from there. We have hunted, fished and shot together, many stories. Ron used to write cast bullet articles for The Rifle/Hand loader shooting magazines and their Annuals. Ron's particular interest is cast bullets. I have in my records a 1/4" group at 100 yds from one of his full power loads for his .375 H&H.

The upshot is I greatly appreciate that kind of knowledge and recognize that you have it from what you have said and what you have shared with me in my own pursuits..
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes Griff this gives us a place to chew the fat , about nuthin! Any and everything is open for discussion.
If you would like, by all means post pics of your GunRoom.

I think I have that book by Ned, I'd have to go through my library! Might not be 300 books but I do have quite a library, Dad found a company that was reprinting the old gun writers. These are leather bound and with gilt edges.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear you OS. Oh, and I recall articles by your friend.
Anyway......I always figured "The Gunroom" stopped blathering off topic ramblings and thread drift on other people's posts. I kinda saw it as a public service, but I guess I was in the minority, as it ruffled feathers. I don't understand, because nobody is really excluded.

So, I got out and checked a couple shops yesterday. One is only about 20 miles away and I've never been there. Had some cool old guns, but nothing too spectacular.
Stopped at another that I sometimes stop in. They deal a lot of black guns. I got to handle one of the new Pythons and a King Cobra. For those examples, I liked the Cobra better. For at least those 2 particular guns, the Cobra was better fitted. It was a good size and would make a good carry gun.
They also had a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm that was really nice.
I didn't buy anything. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A 1/4 inch group at 100 yards is good no matter what caliber. Not every shooter can do that, even if the rifle is capable of it. My .270 Rem 700 has a wood stock. I had it out hunting deer in Kansas one time and got caught in a storm. The wood swelled in the barrel channel, and accuracy went from 1" to 5" at 100 yards. Took me a while to read up on it and figure it out. I took the gun apart and sanded the barrel channel, used a thick coat of car wax on the barrel and any parts that might be in the way, and mixed up some fiberglass bedding compound. I put it in the chsnnel and let it start to get warm and not so free flowing. I then put it back together and used a plastic scraper to wipe off any excess bedding compound. Once it had set, I took it back apart and cleaned up any excess I could find inside. It took a tap from a rubber mallet to get it apart. When I took it to the range the next time, it gave me 4 groups of 5 shots in 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Much better than I hoped for. That was a 20 round box of 130 grain Remington Cor-Lokt. Factory loads. I never have tried for better with that rifle. I am afraid of messing it up if I try to do anything more than load development with it. Still, 1/2 inch groups are nothing to complain about.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

1/2" is great I'm my book. Ron and I were coming back from the range one day, started talking about cast bullets. He asked me if I wanted to try. He got his set up going showed me how to cast. Said if they look like this keep them, if not throw them back in the pot. I got about 100 210 gr. 30-06 bullets. Put them together with 4759 at about 1600 fps. In my Winchester 70 they shot 5 into .85" at 100 yds. That further convinced me Ron knew what he was doing. Six has said the same stuff that Ron told me.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds plenty accurate. I was happy with my .270s 1 inch accuracy at first. 1 inch at 100 yards is plenty good for the hunting I do. The 1/2 inch groups were a surprise.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you gentlemen......and especially Mr. Soft Stuff......let me explain something to you boys....I've been at this game too long.

The reason for my .50 signature? Right....go call someone who gives a F.....I am who I am and make no excuses for it....I don't have many friends but the ones I do will be there for me at 3 am, including the "other Gunny", a career Marine Corps DI and Tommy, who owns the most productive gunshop in Delaware Co.,Pa.

I still don't like Rossi's...or Ubertis.....but I think the world of AK's and SKS's.....

I like to fanny burp because they are funny and make you feel good but I don't fanny burp in front of women, including my wife. My son and I will fanny burp on each other but never around women folk.....have a nice day!-----6...o...da..bro...wit...zas..ex t hoes....

F em if they can't take a joke. :D
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh boy!!!! It's raining........got a third cord of dry wood in the house......got the big screen on......3 dogs sitting with me......
and......and........and........the military channel has a Band of Brothers" marathon on!!!!!

Ooooooooooo......I went downstairs and got my helmet on, my Garand, the BAR, a 1911 , 5 thousand rds of assorted ammo, a box of pineapple grenades, 6 satchel charges and a KBar fighting knife....

Merry Christmas!!!!
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't forget a Rossi ;-)

My 45 will put out CowboyTutt's 360 gr SWC at 2350 fps.

I would have get my Springfield 1911, Smith Corona, 6 groove O3 A3 and Doghead KaBar and 80 rds of military ammo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Got my Garand, a can of ammo loaded in enbloc's all nestled nice and snug in those OD green bandoliers... my 1911, imitation Randall... a half-trac would be needed to carry all the 45 ammo!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need to get out my 1911. I inherited a uniform, helmet, and bayonet from WW I. Might not be quite the right war, but it was from a war.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Will you guys stop bothering me! It's cold, no food, the Krauts are shooting at us, I'm in a foxhole with three guys and someone farted.

[url=https://postimg.cc/N2MJP4BB][img]https://i.postimg.cc/cC7pC9zg/IMG-8544

[url=https://postimg.cc/G97STZx2][img]https://i.postimg.cc/X74MmWZw/IMG-8

[url=https://postimg.cc/G9h52cYV][img]https://i.postimg.cc/v8WF0TmY/IMG-85
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I watch it whenever I want. I have it on VHS and Blue Ray.

I got my Garand, my carbine, 1911, GI helmet, web belt, bayonet, couple bandoliers.......
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Could you imagine being in a firefight ..one side has Garands and the other side has Rossi's....the guys with the Rossi's are banging their guns trying to get them to work, hammers will not stay back, rounds are jammed hopelessly, sights falling off, barrels so warped that the rounds are coming back to the shooter....it would be a crime against humanity for the guys with the Garands to fire back against unarmed souls..... :D

Then some guys with Norinco 1911's and the only thing they can use them for are paperweights... :D
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah... Six... you're just jealous that it wasn't you who farted... at least then you'd have a warm area around your butt for a while! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What is it with fanny burbs? When they are yours they smell GREAT...when they are someone else's, they make you gag?

I got big trouble here.....mom comes home after picking up a few things, walks in, and says," what the F is all this S doing here..guns, ammo, your wearing a helmet, WTF?....there's bullet holes all over the place ...the wood stove is all shot up..what the hell are you doing?"

I says, "I'm helping. The krautss are flanking us."
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You'll shoot your eye out!

Awesome! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:02 pm You'll shoot your eye out
Whew! I'll be OK just as long as it's not the brown eye, a.k.a. Chocolate starfish

Band of brothers didn't have enough BAR action in it to suit me.....noticed a few liberal overtones in it too. The scene where the two privates in the fox hole were packing the fudge made me sick. What the hell was David schwimmer doing in it? That's as bad as Ben Aflec in that Pearl Harbor movie....

Talk about rain!!! We got two inches in an hour...front yard was like a giant lake....
Model A Uzi’s
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Spiderhead wants to say Merry Christmas and is showing off her Colt New Service Target in 45 long Colt and her Rossi 2 caliber fly gun.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Christmas confessions, apparently I exaggerated Ron Carmichael's group with full power cast bullets in his 375 H&H.

But here is a group he was checking his son's very plain Jane Model 70 accuracy with a hand load. Jeff now owns The Gun Shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Freddy Boy...
Let me explain something to YOU!!!! Yes, that is some shooting both with loads AND the shooter......I have never been able to get with the best because I shoot different non target guns and usually load for volume combined with decent accuracy....I know what it takes to be the best but the payoff does not equal the work entailed.

I've shot the cast bullet matches at our club and came in last each time.....always shooting good but those guys have more patience than me....just a half inch away is the difference between first and last place....one wild shot out of the 5 ring and your destroyed.

I know enough that no one can duplicate those groups you posted on demand.....a five mph wind can keep anyone from getting a 1" group, unless he is lucky...the key...."on demand".

On another note one of my MAIN REASONS for loving our dogs is their hate and discontent for joggers and people on bicycles...not children, but adults.....growing up and into my thirties we never knew people to run or ride a bike for fun or exercise.....we had enough to do to keep our muscles hard.......these people jogging and the faggot men with their little shorts on disgusts me and my dogs.

If I was President the first thing I would do is to outlaw anyone over 20 to ride a bike for exercise and allow target practice for homeowners on joggers and further the law to include any importation of cheap guns like Rossi's, Taurus's or Ubertis...how anyone can be proud to admit they are proud to own such junk is beyond normal comprehension. :D -----006

Keep that trash on the other side of the tracks.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We used to run in the Army. Not only did it help with keeping you in shape, it kept your lungs strong so that you could walk 25 miles at a time with 45 pounds on your back. Riding a bike can be an issue, or it might not be.
Those little jogging shorts which look like a bad 1970s San Francisco movie are just a big NOPE!
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't mind folks on bicycles IF there are not wearing lycra and silly helmets, joggers are fine IF female and easy to look at.
Folks who own Rossi's and Uberti's are doing a fine job of keeping Winchester prices from completely going through the roof. Supply and demand sort of thing... Now if I owned a house full of old Winchesters I may be a lot happier to see them turn from Gold to Platinum.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

YeeHaw! Another Holiday spent on the road! At least this time I'm parked... today just south of Rock Hill, SC! I truly appreciate those folks that work on these days... otherwise I'd be relegated to eating nothing but junk food! But, this truck stop has a Denny's... service is horrible as usual, but hey, anything besides a fast food burger is welcome! Picking up tomorrow in Charlotte, NC headed back to TX!

While I was home, I got to try out the new Dillon 550C they sent me. What a treat!! The ram and toolhead stayed in alignment, shells actually went into the dies without a lot of "jiggling" around of the handle! Powder drops were really accurate. What a pleasure!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Don't take my words to heart.....there's joy/laughter in everything I write...if you can believe that!

My son has a bicycle that cost as much as a fine, a very fine 1886....

The world is changing, I understand that....people work with their minds more today than ever. People need exercise if you want to feel good.

Back in 1970 when I started driving I had a 62 Nova with 30" wheels on the back and 20" wheels on the front, with air shocks and painted orange....the old timers would look at me with disgust.

I could care less at what people do with their time and money..that's their business...

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some Colts that need a little fondling.... :D --------006
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Shooting tastes and approaches are different. My goal is an inch or better with a rifle thrown across a gym bag with a blanket at s bench. Ron on the other hand always bags his rifles in. Another friend was only interested in 8 mm German Mausers. Then there are the black gun guys. Had enough of that in the military. I like trap and skeet but I only shoot them with hunting guns.

But anyway Six, no concern. You like to express yourself and I get it. ;-) I am never concerned if people have a different view on certain guns. Now if we have a mutual interest I like to explore it.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's okay Sixgun... if other's don't "get it"... just remember it's "mind over matter"... I don't mind & they don't matter!!! :P :P :P If my cowboy lever guns give me a 5" group @ 100 yards... I'm happy! Afterall, I'm only shooting 16" plates at maybe out to 15 yards!!!! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ever see a fox with no tail?
IMG_0840.jpg
A friends trail cam .

Wonder if it was lost by a coyote grabbing it!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's interesting....I see you took the picture from a window ...maybe it's a "bob fox".

Well, I did get to do a little fondling but I never made it to the Colts.

OK, how much money is here? All are in excellent to excellent + condition.....I took this pic a few years ago and just came across it.

Hint....four are American made and two are foreign.....the foreign ones do not come from Italy or Brazil
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:17 pm It's okay Sixgun... if other's don't "get it"... just remember it's "mind over matter"... I don't mind & they don't matter!!! :P :P :P If my cowboy lever guns give me a 5" group @ 100 yards... I'm happy! Afterall, I'm only shooting 16" plates at maybe out to 15 yards!!!! :P :P
Griff,
I know your generalizing and not being specific......my criteria with open or tang sights is three inches...max.....a scr is given a bit more leeway or if it's a rare gun with issues such as a worn crown....
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Whoa there BIG BOY! I have a Rossi 92 clone! Only because I would have felt bad shortening and threading the barrel of a “REAL” 92. I also have one or two Winchesters and at least ONE Marlin.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Is anyone shooting a real Win 92. How much?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:56 pm I have a Rossi 92 clone!
A "clone" is an exact copy. A '92 Winchester and a '92 rossi are not exact..they are apples and oranges....

I have something you might like for a toy......a 1917 enfield made by Winchester ...MINT bore and action.....tight....solid action....
cut down stock...extra holes in receiver....ZERO collector value....30-06.....MINT BORE.....very little use...for real....ready to be threaded......$300
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:13 pm Is anyone shooting a real Win 92. How much?
I have this old 92 src in 38wcf. I got it with 2 other Winchesters I bought about 20 years ago.
It has no finish and doesn't look like much. It does, however, have a nice bore and is mechanically good. This is my shooter. I carry it in the woods, shoot it at the range, and enjoy it immensely.
While I like my 357 Rossi 92, it can't compare to this old beat up 92. The action is so smooth and it feeds like no straight case 92 ever could.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Fred I shoot my Winchester 92’s several times a year. I have 25-20’s and a 32-20
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good to hear that there are 92s here. ;-) Can I have one? I haven't even seen one out here. Now you know I got that from Six. He would be tickled if one or both of you would send me one. Otherwise I just have to shoot Rossis and you know how he feels about that. He had got me running on both 25-20 and 32-20 so no problem there.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So reading closely ... ford, you can send me one of the 25-20s and OW, maybe send me one of you nice ones. I won't be taking it to the woods. And all my stuff is primo except some older guns given to me by friends and patients.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha well I know it'd have a good home OS!
Let's see......I think I have 7 92s.
The best one is unquestionably my TD half mag rifle in 38. I will get that right out to you buddy! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nada, unless you can also supply a lot of ammo. I don't load for that caliber. Just send the nicest of the 32-20s. That would be the way to go.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Surveying my SAs I see two tiers, FA, Colt and Ruger on one and Taurus, Pietta and Uberti on the other. None been shot much. That has been reserved for Smith's and various 1911s.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On another subject, my first lever was a Browning 81 BLR in 243 Only. It will shoot sub inch on demand.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Fred, I am waiting on a factory letter for the nickeled 92 in 32-20. Once it comes back I will get her all boxed up and sent out.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perfect, but a nickled 92 wow, Maybe I should see pictures of the other options.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:16 pm
fordwannabe wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:56 pmI have a Rossi 92 clone!
A "clone" is an exact copy. A '92 Winchester and a '92 rossi are not exact..they are apples and oranges....
Nope, more like the difference between a Red Delicious and a Macintosh. Whereas even a Marlin 1894 might be a Fuji, it's still a levergun, chambered in a pistol caliber, you'd probably have to go all the way to AR to get to the apples to oranges thing! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six doesn't always modulate very much in his opinions.;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kind of like ... tell us what you really think ;-)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:12 pm
Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:16 pm
fordwannabe wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:56 pmI have a Rossi 92 clone!
Nope, more like the difference between a Red Delicious and a Macintosh. Whereas even a Marlin 1894 might be a Fuji, it's still a levergun, chambered in a pistol caliber, you'd probably have to go all the way to AR to get to the apples to oranges thing! :P
Griff,
I almost always agree with you but in your statement above I have to respectfully disagree with you......
When I say, "Apple and oranges" and you say "red delicious and macintosh", I will clarify my statement.....think like this....the difference between a worn out 1892 WINCHESTER and a rossi/Uberti/Taurus is the same difference as a Rolls Royce and a Yugo. ....or how about this analogy........Malania Trump, who is both smart and beautiful representing the 1892 Winchester and Sasquatch (Michael Obama) representing the Rossi (ugly, stupid, stinks, scratches her testicles)

Now, , when my fine friends Master Jay and Mr Soft Stuff talk,,they know what they are talking about.....you hear Jay say his likes his worn but smooth 1892 over that tomato stake he calls a rossi and Mr Soft Stuff whom can say whatever he wants and I'll still like him, even though he puts beauty and the beast in th same signature picture.

Anyone who likes Rossi's never shot em much...anything looks good when it's new, despite Rossi's investment cast receiver and then dunking in some cheap hot blue vs a forged and machined 1892 Winchester with careful polishing and a rust blue. Would you take a Yugo on a cross country trip?

My question is this....you are being air dropped from a helicopter in the LZ in Vietnam.....you are on secret mission......your CO gives you a choice of weapons......one is a worn 1892 Winchester and the other is still in its factory box, a Rossi. Come on..which one? Your longevity depends on your answer.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s