New scoop/dipper.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

New scoop/dipper.....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New scoop/dipper.....

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What powder, caliber and charge weights have you done so far? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I kind of like the looks of that tool, but I have never been able to get consistent results with a dipper.
Is there a good technique that might help with that?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's funny! I've got some 150 yr. old dippers that work exactly the same, except made of brass with wood handles. I'm sure whoever makes those must have seen an old one at some time.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had pretty good luck with the Lee dippers. Just takes a little practice to become consistent. I wouldn't use them to load match grade ammunition without weighing each charge, but for pistol, plinking and shorter range stuff, they work well for me.
Ray, that LMF looks like a nice tool.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The most accurate ammo I ever loaded was 6mm Remington using a Lee powder dipper and their ‘Target’ loading kit that was the same little ‘whack-with-a-mallet’ kit but had an inside neck reamer and micrometer seating die. With my Ruger M77V I could cloverleaf 10 shots at 100 yards into a half inch every time.

I had a powder weighing scale but couldn’t see any difference in accuracy using it versus the dippers (...maybe I just couldn’t shoot enough better to notice...) so I just used the dipper most of the time.

In fact, using IMR 4831 I could literally just dip the cases into a big bowl of powder, shake them to level it off, then dump ‘just enough to empty the case neck’ and get loads that would do an inch at 100 yards.

I’ll always wonder if that was an extremely lucky and accurate rifle or what. The muzzle blast with that powder was huge, so I figured maybe it ‘metered’ simply by only so much being able to burn in the 24” of barrel...

Anyhow after that I was impressed enough with using volume as the way to meter powder that I only weigh charges when developing the load; after I determine the appropriate charge, I use volume from then on.

Although I know precision shooters (which I am most definitely NOT) weigh charges much of the time,I can’t imagine the various ‘match ammo’ companies use anything but volume, and they turn out some great ammo.

I think that precision seating into an inside-neck-reamed case was the key; that plus a great heavy barrel. I think Ruger contracted the M77V barrels out to Douglas during the 1970’s (tang-safety era).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Ray, thanks for that link, I just ordered one. I like my lee dippers but I'm never able to throw the exact charge I want, always have to finish with a trickler. Maybe this will speed things up a bit.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Got mine yesterday, seems worth the money spent.
Rumble.com/ hickock45