The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny, that irony has not been lost on any of us. I have very mild symptoms and if I test positive they will tell me to quarantine for two weeks and let them know if I have any changes. If I test negative but have known exposure they will tell me to quarantine for two weeks and let them know if I have any changes.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Heck it took me getting the VID but I won a page!!!!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats Tom, you won Six's mdl 37! and a 100 rounds of ammo! Since you're gonna be quarantined, he'll deliver! It doesn't matter whether it's a Remington, Winchester or Marlin, as long as he has 100 rounds of ammo for it!! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wild turkey, deer and bear in Sequoia Nat'l Park.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

FWB, don't forget to take the Airborne and the Zinc lozenges. Those and the Vit D3 are supposed to help you get over this.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, you need to follow that link.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Fred......I have a saw blade on my Leatherman MUT tool....I'll sneak it in the forest and cut me down one of those big babies. If that don't work, I'll saw it in half with the BAR.

Yea...when ya get old your immune system no longer respomds to the Hawaiian disease, lakanooky... . You become symptom free or whatever that fancy word is.

WTF is a model 37? Winchester single shot shotgun is the only one I know. I never "thought small" always going after the big game calibered guns that look like they just left the factory....Colts too....I leave the cheap stuff for the "little people"....at least that what most people call me...like Leona Hensley or Hemsly ..or S face....

Think I'll take a ride down to my favorite hardware store and buy me a $50 rip blade for the table saw...

Took all my Trump banners down....it's a done deal.....Jay said it right, the oppressors have won but may the Good Lord help them if they tread on my 4 acres ...----6

Rotyorkockoff! (Funny Piller....got to remember dat one....)
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

https://images.app.goo.gl/kA2QhVTMnQorMQ6JA
Or this one. Tried to make it show, but could not get it to do it yet.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! I got em all Piller.......they had better learn you don't mess with a 66 year old man....I was crazy when I was 25 and the craziness got worse as I've aged and at 66 I've got nothing to lose.

On to women with knives...EVERYONE of my wife's sisters (5) are experts with knives......they can sharpen a knife so sharp they can cut a fanny burp clean through and leave two distinct smell areas......(hey! I just made that up, pretty good huh!)....they still run a butchering business and my one SIL, who is 70 years old can skin out a deer in 10 minutes flat......
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Many years ago a relative was bulldozing behind the old barn and he dug up a skeleton....I wanted the skull but was told "NO, SHUT YOUR MOUTH". All of the evidence is gone now so if I'm questioned I just made this up for attention...

The old farm house was built in 1804 and it was common to bury loved ones right where you lived.

I was told they didn't want cops swarming all over with newspaper people etc...
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Tom i sure hope you don't get worse! - cuz ya owe me 30 lbs of buckshot!! :lol:

Like that sign!! Except I don't have a Kubota- have to change it to
Burial by buzzards!
Although my neighbor has a backhoe....

So took Claro out for a walk this morning. Also took 3 of the club members. The newest member connected the first bird that flushed making a perfect shot. I took 3 shots to get 2 birds, had my gun open and my first shot was a bit off balance but the left barrel did the trick. The other 2 guys missed a bird combined. Then one connected then the other guy missed twice..
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom,
If you get too incapacitated and it lingers more than a week or two, can I have all your guns? (I'll take the ones I sold you first as I know they are not beaters)----your pal---006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....I know you are not b.s but I'd like to see a picture of these birds once in a while...what are they? Chookurs?

You said "left barrel" You using a double? I thought the left barrel was the one with the full choke.

If you get sick can I have your guns too?

I don't want Griffs guns...too many bad people in Texas but I'll take Pillers as he gets nice stuff, not all beat up.

Old Savages guns are all like new...he calls them "El Primo's". Fred, if your on the golf course and feeling a little "unbalanced" with the sniffles, can I come and take home your guns? I'll have my son pick them up or maybe you can deliver them when you feel better.---your pal---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pheasants Six. We aren't getting chukars anymore. Ill try to remember to take pictures tomorrow!
Yes I hunt with a Rizzini side by side 28 gauge . Or my CZ 410 juxtaposed or my 28 ga o/u or a 12 sxs.

As for page 137 win its an Ithaca mod 37 and 100 rounds of ammo.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Eww an Ithaca 37🤗🤗 yippee. Jack I figured with me being incapacitated and all you should deliver that Marlin 38-55 to my house, to aid me in a desire to recover. I am NOT home but just having a JUNKER like that around might lift my spirits. My life or death might depend on you Jack.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just as soon as you get well and pour all that buckshot ill load the 100 rounds for ya! :lol:
Seriously though- what do you have to do? Stay at hunt camp for 2 weeks?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom,
The Marlin is one of my most accurate leverguns, if not THE most accurate. It's an all original gun with little use made in 1901...but as you know, I had the receiver recased. The bore is mint. It's a takedown and to have a takedown along with extreme accuracy is rare. It also has a $600 sight on it.....so that means your going to have to wait until I die and hopefully get it from a well known auction house or come up with 50 Ben's. This is one gun that ain't going away cheap.

Now, on to life....bought a new DeWalt rip blade for the table saw....does $28 sound right to you Gunny? Also got me a new battery charger as I shorted out the other one the other day by washing out leakage and then plugging it in....that's all I had to do was wait a day but nooooooooooooo, I was at the Indianapolis 500 Sppedway and was in a hurry.....along with some hose hardware and a nice quiet 20 mile drive through back roads made for a pleasant day. One Volvo SUV flew up my A on a 25 mph speed limit road so instead of maintaining my 35 mph speed, I increased the speed to 15 mph. :D Hate these yuppies. Lucky for her it was only about 5 miles before she turned off.

Everything costs me $40.65 and that's with two 20 oz Cokes.....I had $15 in "rewards".-----006

Just think Tom.....you could be "da man" at the next Marlin Collectors Society meeting...annnndddd at the gun club.

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Can I have my Model 71 in .348 changed to .22 short rimfire? I need to know everything I will need, including all parts and dimensions in .000000001 of an inch. Blueprints will be needed and who can do this? Then I need to put on a 80 power telescope on it for long range shooting. What bullets are best for reloading the .22 rimfire? Should I have a recoil pad put on and if so who can do it, how much will everything cost for the entire job and who do I send it to? Will that person have a breakdown on each and every part and a price list compared to other gunsmiths who do this kind of work? Do I need a 2.6 pound trigger or will a 2.7 work as well? Can the gunsmith doing the work on the rifle refinish the stock too? What's his name? I would also need a conversion unit for this rifle to fire 40mm ack ack rounds. Can the same gunsmith do this work and if so how much will it cost?

I'm new to the forum and thanks in advance.....(can you get me this info tonight?)

Thanks
7yubistP@:21
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

For what you do yes that blade is just perfect. You can spend over a hunnert bucks on a saw blade if you want. Remember the carbide tooth saw blades are able to be sharpened. The lower cost blades usually don't have the best carbide but are sharpenable.

As for your request to convert the 71 to 22 short I did know the one person that could have done it. Sadly he has gone to the happy hunting grounds. He used to make Farquhenson actions by hand with minimal machine work.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yup quarantine at one of my favorite places dam
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom...POSITIVE??!!

Poop...that sucks if true.....at least your somewhat young and hopefully in good health...you seem to me to be healthy. Get yo Italian wife to feed you good Italian FRESH FOODS......we eat NOTHING out of a can except imported Italian tomato sauce with virtually no salt.....as you keep reminding me that I'm an old F...and I am.....but I still can put a hurtin on someone if need be....I just hope I can do it in 30 seconds...or less....

Take care buddy...if you get bored and need to BS, you have my number.

Ohhhh GUUUUUNNNNYYYY.......this is old hat to you and even though I've been working with wood and metal since I was a kid I never fooled much with a table saw until I took my dad's 3 h.p. Grizzly....I'm constantly changing blades to cut either nice wood or junk. The junk always has old nails or screws in it......for kindling wood etc.....sometimes I take a chance with the good blade because I'm too lazy to change it and it ALWAYS finds a hidden nail and takes the "charm" off the blade. That means I have 6 blades that cut OK but with no "charm".

Funny that you said they can be sharpened and before you said that I You Tubed it......went out to the garage and cut me a piece of wood with a 15 degree angle ....unplugged the saw and sharpened it while the blade was still attached.....used a flat stone and plenty of ATF....back and forth a half dozen times on each tooth....then went to the finer stone for a repeat of the 24 teeth........came out NICE....charm is back on.......

I wanted to see if it cut walnut without snags of wood hanging off so I took that like new 1873 I have that was made in 1891 and cut the butt stock in half and wouldn't you know it, I hit the tang screw and now I have to sharpen the blade again!!!!!!!!
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well ya should have taken the stock off the action first! :lol:
Around here there are 2 companies that pick up saw blades from the lumber yards to sharpen, returned the next week. They do a very good job at replacing the charm! If you spend high dollars to get a GOODALL blade it only makes sense to get then sharpened. They also braze on new carbide if ya loose a tooth or three!

Ok today Parker goes huntin, I don't have many pics of her hunting so I'll do my best to get some pics- just so you believe me Jack :lol: . After we are done hunting a few of us are going to go fishing, we just stocked and if the weather holds off it should be a fun day!

I've decided I really don't like scotch. Remember the movie Mr Roberts? When Henry Fonda and the Doc are making a bottle of scotch for Ensign Pulver? Well not only does it taste like iodine to me but it's also oily and reminds me of green olives - I don't like green olives!

What's that I hear? Gunship! Good BRCC Coffee.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You boys sure have covered a lot of ground. Here is some of the ground I was covering yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok Count Sixula-
20201122_100904.jpg
Parker found 4 birds this morning, 3 of which I had to shoot in self defense :D . The 4th was a runner that she pushed through a hedge row that then flew away and out of range.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

As Jim Morrison said, "and my knees got weak".....that second picture reminded me of me and my son "Jeepin" out in Colorado.....a couple of the turns I had to get out and guide him...wheels on the edge...yes, the edge....he took to it like nothing...and he was driving! ....my knees got week.....if you rolled down the mile long cliff they wouldn't find you for a year.

At near 50 he still does that stupid stuff. I prefer staying in the compound.

Where's Tom? Oooohhhhh Toooommmmmyyyy Gun.....where is you be?

Went to bed at two and got up at two......I got more energy than a Great White shark in the South Pacific after the slant eyed Japs torpedoed the Indianapolis ......I hate those sneaky asians.....NEVER forget history or it will repeat itself...

OH! JUST GOT THE NEWS.....NICE BIRD GUNNY....THE ONE IN THE DOGS MOUTH! I know you told me this before but I can't remember...that's a game farm where you hunt, right? How much do they charge you per bird?---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No not a game farm, this is the club I belong to. We own a 96 acre property where we bird hunt/ deer hunt & shoot. We also own another property that we fish, about 1.75 miles long.
The bird fees are part of the annual dues.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I be here! I was out of communication for several hours as I had to meet my wife for my work phone and computer. Was kinda a spy bag drop thing but she was nice enough to drive two hours to meet me. I am feeling about 85 percent.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok....sound cool.....and exclusive!.....your a high roller!

I'm a nobody peon but I do belong to a couple of very nice clubs and one is very hard to get into...major waiting list...The mighty Atglen Sportsmans Club.....and the NRA.....that's it other than the loosely banded local militia.....

Let's see, it's 5:30 pm which is equal to your 10 am.....last night I made a portable motion detector light, not the light but the stand..........I got these things all over the place...probably a dozen which are all semi permanently installed...this one I can move around.....funnier than hell last night.....I set it 3' from where we feed the fox....and like clockwork here comes the fox.....he went to grab a chicken leg and the light came on......must of jumped 3' in the air. :D

My wife was in Facebook Jail last week and my son is in it today......they both made bad comments about Facebook. I don't do that stupid stuff.

TOM.....DO YOU HAVE THE CHINA PLAGUE? .....take care buddy......the animals are loose in NYC, throwing girls onto the train tracks. I hope it gets so bad the military is called in...not NG but the military....impose ML then surround the city with a Trump wall and keep them all in it.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey! I got a new T shirt.....mom takes care of me when she sees cool stuff.

My wardrobe.....and this is NO LIE

T shirts----43
Jeans------15
Flannel shirts---about a dozen
Socks------around 28 pairs
Tighty whiteys----around 18
Long underwear..no junk, the good stuff-----15-20 pairs
Military camo pants----6 (but none of them fit anymore)
Coats---about a dozen, military, several Carhartts,...extra heavy flannels
Boots...4 pair of Redwings, a couple of pairs military..2 pairs of slippers
Hats----around 20, all gun, Trump,and railroad oriented
Suits.....ZERO
dress pants or shirts...one of each and they are all full of cat/dog hair

Do I qualify for redneck status?

Check this baby out! Yea, I know, I get all the cool stuff.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Got all the stuff needed to install the new electrical panel in the barn... temps dropped again today... maybe it'll be warm tomorrow and I can get back to loading ammo. I've only got half a can of 45 Colt, less than 50 rounds of C45S, 25 rounds of .44WCF and... no 45-70, no '40-90SBN, and worst of all, 50 rounds of .30-06 and less than that of .30-30! Got all the components and have the time in the next couple of days. Getting the electric sorted out is a huge step! I have two 240V outlets for the two welders or the plasma cutter, now I'll be able to do some of that work out there, plenty of outlets for 120V devices... I'll be able to run the lights AND other power tools at the same time. No more waiting till daylight to cast bullets!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mmm--Mmmm.. GOODNESS! Pork ribs in Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, red potatoes cajun seasoning, garlic, thyme, chili powder and corn in Irish butter w/garlic & seasonings!
DSCN1306.JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need a Prilosec just looking at that. Yes it looks good.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pmI need a Prilosec just looking at that. Yes it looks good.
And tasted even better! Smooth and seasoned... just right! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea that does look good Griff....as always, you, Piller and Old Savage always get the good stuff..must be something about living west of the Mississippi.....

I'm getting more like a dog everyday....eating the same food......four-five eggs and toast around noon and some form of Italian food in the evening along with about 6-8 bottles of Deer Park 16.9 oz water. Next to no salt.

Work out in the yard for 4-6 hours doing various projects........that's my life if ya can call it one.....about the only thing funny that happened today was I semi tripped on the thing-a-ma-jig that separates the hard wood flooring from the linoleum in the kitchen and I farted at the same time.....looked like the fanny burp propelled me forward.

375 miles on my Jeep since January....almost thinking about taking it off the road and using mom's for everything. Got invited to deer camp up at Gunny's next week and I turned him down.....too much S going on......can't leave mom home by herself

Those no good politicians have near everything shut down.

I really need to get to the club to waste 500 rounds of ammo.....semi auto style and just let the brass lay there.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six you're right. Every gun I have bought new still looks new. Some have been hunting but I don't beat anything up except some shoes and some golf clubs. I take care of my stuff.

Back from the cabin in the big pines. Lots of 200 ft plus stuff around.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Neato Fred....your digs?....(I can just imagine the whoppers that have crossed the threshold there with a six pack of colors light dangling from your fingers)---006
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cabin for the weekend at Yosemite. Long story, we had room at Sequoia Nat'l Park 3 days. Got there and they said they were closing for the Covid the next day. My daughter wrote an email to the CEO, their attorney and everyone on their management list and our attorney. The regional manager called her an hour later and said he would comp us the next two nights at Yosemite 3 hours away. Gave us a two br cabin by the river and some other perks so we hiked there two days..

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I heard about PA shutting down? Are you guys really going to do that?
Tom ya got enough toys and Ammo to keep yourself occupied?

I knew someone that was afflicted by the sneezefart, she claimed it kept her from going airborne!

Irish butter? Is that slang for whisky? :lol:

Rain most of the week, I'm glad the leaves are gone! These temps the lawn is still growing so I'm going to have to mow again before the snow flies!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny, I have my work phone and work computer ( and a SPECIAL state worker jumped into the Covid tracking system last couple days “helping” so it will take days to fix her “help”(&)@)@)&;$!&&). A new to me Ravin, a suppressed Rossi lever, a suppressed 45/70 encore with 520 grain lrnfp, an AR, a Savage bolt 12 gauge 512, and a Winchester 1895 in 30-40. Probably be ok. Plus Doug’s 30 to 40 guns.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tom, aren't all "state" workers "special"?

Gunny, I'm sure my grass has already gone dormant here! No, no slang involved, advertised as butter from Irish cows...

Fred, sometimes those nasty letters do work a treat!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room XLII

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Fred.....wish I had a nickel for every time I was screwed over....

Grass is still green here....just about done chopping up the leaves with the extremely mighty Kubota....if a stranger went by they could "almost" think this guy has money....grass nice and even...no leaves....but then they see the Jeeps and the woodpile and know the owner is nothing more than a poor redneck.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey guys! Sorry I been MIA. With the kids and grandkids here, been giving 100% of my attention.

First.......
Sorry to hear you got "the Rona" Tom. Take it easy buddy. I don't want "all" your guns. Just first pick. :D

I'm sure I've missed some good goings on, but I've had some too.

Sitting in my gunroom with my boy jawin' while he paws over my old junk. He did steal some hard cast. 357s and a couple boxes of 30-30. He said there isn't one box of 30-30 on Kodiak island. :shock:
I hate these times......
Told the kids to start making lists of their "priorities" in regards to my guns. I won't live forever. I want to hang on long enough to raid Jack's gunroom a couple more times, though! :D

Having the whole gang, four generations, at "Thanksgiving dinner.

Hunting with my son and old man. Speaking of which, I missed one with the old 73. I was bummed. Dad missed a big buck with his old 94 Trapper. Guess we've gone to seed. I don't care. We have a few days still.

I got up at 12:30am to drive the kids to Boston to the airport. Got em down there and dropped them off ok. Didn't get 10 minutes up the road on my way back to "God's Country" when some Mass-hole cuts me off. I pulled right as quick as I could, but he rubbed the drivers front fender a little. Didn't do much to my wife's Grand Cherokee but I was not happy. How people can live in places like that I'll never understand.
I got home about 8 this morning.
Hope you all are well.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

HEY OLD SAVAGE........ I SAID THIS after the election and YOU and many, many other people said I was playing into the hands of the democrats.

I'm going to be as public and assertive about this as much as possible......I'm going to write everyone of my representatives AND THE NRA urging Republicans NOT TO VOTE until we has a secure system.

Each side LOVES MONEY AND VOTES.....I say we F over our supposedly favorites until WE GET ACTION!----6

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/georgi ... id/998342/
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

HEY JAY!!' Great to see you are back to us "little folk", you know, the humble crowd..... :D

I saw your pictures you put up on Facebook.....mom showed them to me.......your a handsome bugger ......can't tell you from your son, Mr. 35 W.C.F.....Looks like both of you guys use the same hairdresser.

You missed a deer with the old '73???!!. I need to hear more.....yo da 6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WooHoo! Finally after figuring out what was wrong with the electricity in the barn, I got the new power feed out to the barn, gathered all the necessary materials, panel, circuit breakers, etc. and got my son off his computer and got it installed! I now have electricity out to the barn, 240V & 120V so I can get back to casting, reloading and doing other work out there where I don't have to drag out the Honda generator and listen to its noise while I do important stuff!

Loaded up the golf cart with all the necessary tools, etc.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually Griff it was not even a nasty letter. She just brought up issues of responsibility, liability and hospitality regarding the situation.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sorry Six but I can't agree with that approach. But you are a free moral agent in a semi free society and as such you can take any course of action or inaction that you choose.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like you're gaining on it Griff! Good for you.

Hey Six!
Haha yeah. Not a shining moment. Can't tell you what happened. Other than I'm just too old to use those dang sights anymore. My confidence wasn't the best anyway.
I jumped a good buck going in to my stand that morning. No shot, just caught a glimpse if him.
I WILL say, I am proud if my little project cutting that trail. The deer are using it like I'd hoped. And it's only been there a couple months.
Anyway, I got to my stand and settled in. I'd been there a couple ours when I heard what sounded like wheezing from out in front of me. There is a WALL of small spruce and fir about 50yds to the northwest of me. Then I heard some little grunts. Not very loud. One came out to where I could see it. There were still small limbs and brush to shoot through. It was either a doe or a spike, not sure which. I got the hammer back and settled in to what I thought was a decent shot.
I dropped the hammer and the old 44 cut loose. The deer never flinched, but when I cranked the lever it jumped. I couldn't get another shot in that mess. It had been in the only open spot. It didn't really hurry.
I didn't bother to text my dad or my boy. I didn't want a lot of people walking around in there. I know they would want to help, but that's too many feet. I looked the rest of the morning. Nothing. I went back and sat the afternoon. I got down early and looked again from the point of the shot to be double sure. Nothing.
While I was looking, I heard my dad fire. They didn't hear my shot cause that old 44 isn't very loud, but his 16" 32WS barks pretty good. I called and told him to sit tight cause by now it was dark. I HATE messing around in the dark. I went to the point where he fired, verified a track, and put out an orange flagging tape.
We got our butts out of there before we trampled sign. Hit early next morning and I scoured the place. Nothing. I couldn't find a bullet strike but I'm confident he missed too.
I was shooting down from a stand, but he was in a ground blind shooting more horizontal. I always check the trees from the point of the shot to the point of the target. Especially if the light isn't great. It is very difficult to discern a bullet strike if it isn't a pass through. You wouldn't think so, but it is.
Anyway, the weather tomorrow is supposed to be ok. Heading out, but I'm not optimistic. I racked the 73 for now. Had to at least go to a peep sight, haha.

The agony of defeat. :(
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just got word, one of my shooting buddies brother was in a very bad motorcycle accident, amputated below one knee, busted bones and on a respirator.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!