My love of Marlin Cowboy model lever guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lazarus870
Levergunner

My love of Marlin Cowboy model lever guns

Post by lazarus870 »

Back in the mid 2000s when I was in my early 20's and just got into guns, I loved all things tactical, Glocks, Sigs, pictatinny rails and lights and lasers and synthetic stocks and whatnot.

Any little money that I had went into that. I didn't like anything with wood on it. Too old fashioned for me.

But there was one exception - the Marlin Cowboy 1894 in 44 mag, 20" octagonal barrel. I used to look at buying one and I could never explain the appeal. It was nothing like a Glock or a Beretta or a synthetic stock shotgun. It was cool though, the octagonal barrel, the bluing, the look. Something always clicked and I always went back to them.

But i never bought one, and then Marlin got sold and they went out of production for a while. Sooo I tried to find one up here in Canada and never could. Not being able to find it made it more appealing.

So I finally found one in 2014 - an 1894 CB in .357. And I just....kept buying them. All JM marked.

Now I have 2 1894CB in .357 mag, one in .45 Colt, an 1894 Cowboy Competition in .45 Colt, an 1894 CB 24" in 44 mag, and 2 336 Cowboys - one in 30-30 one in 38-55.

Love 'em. No idea what makes them so cool.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My love of Marlin Cowboy model lever guns

Post by Rockrat »

I like them too. I passed up a 44mag, really cheap, as I was looking for another gun at the time. Found what I was looking for, but its gone down the road. One of those regrets, should have bought the 44 mag!!!

Should have kept the 32mag. I had too, and the 30-30!!

Oh well, hindsight is 100% right!!
lazarus870
Levergunner

Post by lazarus870 »

Rockrat

You had a 30-30 and got rid of it? darn they're so rare now!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now you just need a 375 Remington, a 444 Marlin, and a 45-70.... :D

Welcome to the addiction.

Besides, Leverguns CAN be 'tactical' - here's an old thread I posted that links to three different 'Night Scout' leverguns I've put together. Still use 'em... 8)

> https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 83#p583183
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Cool!! You came up with some nice Marlins in a short time
have one CB in 38-55, 1894 in 44-40 & an old 1893 in 32-40

Brad
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Yeah, someone made me an offer, that at the time, I couldn't refuse. Did buy and XLR in 30-30 to take its place. It will shoot as someone did some accuracy work on it
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I am a Cowboy fan as well. Don't t have as many as you but all mine (5) are 24"ers.
Of the 5, two are 70s model 336SRCs. I sent them back to Marlin to be made into the CB model so I have two "presafety" Cowboys. Only the 38-55 still has the saddle ring.
At my age I'll likely not buy any more. They are the finest modern Marlin.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

I recently was in charge of dividing up my uncles estate. He was far from rich but had nice little collection of mostly older guns. He had two 1894's One was a Cowboy in 45 Colt. I really wanted that gun but figured I had better get some of the older guns I probably would never get a chance to buy again. Still I could of taken it but my cousin had already spoken for my Uncles .45 Blackhawk and I figured they should go together. I do really want one though. Next gun will be a 73 in 44-40 but after that I think it will be high on the list.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I managed to purchase one of the last "JM" 30-30 CB cowboys, 24" octagon barrel when Marlin quit making them. To say the least, it is a well balanced and very accurate rifle. Have always wanted the 1894 357 version, but have never even seen one. Came across two 1894 44 mag versions on the same used rack once about 15 years ago, dang......should have snagged one of them. I doubt I'll find a 357 Cowboy, but who knows.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Hopefully that Ruger will hear our wish list and begin Cowboy production again.
I have found 26" barrels are too long for my eyesight. Having owned 2 CB 45-70 models, I couldn't see that far, 24" seems my limit.
20" leverguns abound while trappers and long rifles seem to stay hidden due to numbers produced.
Short or long, anything but 20" with rifle furniture will get my attention.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have a 1895CB and a 1894 CB limited II in 44. I used the 44 on a spike buck this week. I just prefer the balance and never found the length of them an issue.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I stopped by my local gun shop today to pickup any ammo I could find. Believe it or not I found some CCI 22 cal. I was looking to see what they had for lever action's. There was a beautiful Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. Perfect condition without a mark on it. Lands and grove's look lightly cut like a 44 mag. This is a North Haven JM model with the push button safety. They were looking to get $975.00 on the rifle. What I really like was the long octagonal barrel! I guessing it was a 26 inch barrel. Since I held it I cant stop thinking about it. I thought it would be much heavier! I guess the large bore 45-70 eliminates lot's of steel in the barrel as opposed to a smaller caliber. I doubt I could find any ammo for it these day's without reloading. Quite a beautiful rifle.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My only regret was not buying a 30-30 cowboy when they were available, but I already had a 30-30 so.....but I kinda wanted it, and figured maybe next year..there was no next year. :cry:
lazarus870
Levergunner

Post by lazarus870 »

gcs wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:58 pm My only regret was not buying a 30-30 cowboy when they were available, but I already had a 30-30 so.....but I kinda wanted it, and figured maybe next year..there was no next year. :cry:
It took me a couple of years at least to find mine. It's not 100% mint but it's got some honest wear. The bluing is missing from the muzzle not sure why. No crown damage from what I can see.
JOG wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 pm I stopped by my local gun shop today to pickup any ammo I could find. Believe it or not I found some CCI 22 cal. I was looking to see what they had for lever action's. There was a beautiful Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. Perfect condition without a mark on it. Lands and grove's look lightly cut like a 44 mag. This is a North Haven JM model with the push button safety. They were looking to get $975.00 on the rifle. What I really like was the long octagonal barrel! I guessing it was a 26 inch barrel. Since I held it I cant stop thinking about it. I thought it would be much heavier! I guess the large bore 45-70 eliminates lot's of steel in the barrel as opposed to a smaller caliber. I doubt I could find any ammo for it these day's without reloading. Quite a beautiful rifle.
Go buy it!!!
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I picked up the Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70! I cant wait to shoot this beauty! :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I believe I had all of them at one point including some of the special run guns for Davidson's or Lipseys but they’re all down the road now .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought the 336CB in 30-30 NIB at a semi local shop right after I’d heard they quit making them . The guy had it a couple years and I got it OTD for $400 . Shot the heck out of it at silhouettes a couple years and when I sold I did better than doubling my money .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
lazarus870
Levergunner

Post by lazarus870 »

JOG wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 pm I picked up the Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70! I cant wait to shoot this beauty! :D
Congrats! Pics please!!