Home recovering from knee surgery- might get expensive

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Home recovering from knee surgery- might get expensive

Post by Streetstar »

IHome for a bit recovering from a total knee replacement. I am 10 days out from surgery and was just barely able to ride my mountain bike to the nearest stop sign and back. About a mile. A long way to go. That 1 mile ride required a three hour nap afterwards. This is giving me time to catch up on some reading and forums and it is nice to see that everything in this form is as it should be still.

I may have to mortgage the house though, as the first of my purchases on the bum leg was in PTR MP5 which I should be able to pick up today (delayed 4473) . But ive never had a 9mm before so didnt realize ammo and components was scarce

But, have any of you folks been through this and if so how long does it take to recover? I am already hobbling around but don’t see myself doing anything but very light work for a while unless I’m mistaken
----- Doug
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Home recovering from knee surgery- might get expensive

Post by DadsMod12 »

I had my total knee replaced 3 1/2 years ago at the age of 58. My surgery was at 8 and I walked in my front door at noon. My PT wanted me to use a walker for about 10 days. If I remember correctly I was to use the walker for long walks for about 3 weeks, cane the rest of the time. I don't think I got on my bike for at least 2 months even though the Dr. said I could do anything I wanted at my one month check up. I think it took at least six months to feel 95% and about a year for 100%. Talk to your PT

Dan
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Streetstar...can't help ya on the knee but I keep 3 Uzi's and a few semi auto Smiths fed very well using a cheap 6 cavity Lee mould.....don't even size them...liquid alox lube and a small dose of Bullseye.....brass is so cheap I don't even pick em up unless they are at my feet.......

This shortage won't last forever.

As for your knee...use it....don't know your personality but I'm a type A and can't sit still.....doc told me these "type" of people heal faster.....don't know if you cast either but if you don't now is the time to learn.....pretty much a no brainer for simple bullets like the nine......

You got the time bro, now go load the nine----6 :D .
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Streetstar, if you are already riding a bike after just 10 days you are coming along fast: I don't think I would have had the flex and strength until at least week 3 or more. I got my replacements about 5 1/2 years ago, managed a backpack trip 3 months later (very light pack, fairly gentle terrain), and was hunting that Fall but was a bit disappointed in how poorly I could hobble up and down the hills. Was still somewhat disappointed for the next year's hunting, but by about year 3 I was going up and down hills like normal and could climb a ladder without looking like "old grampaw". And after 4 years I could finally drop down on my knees and sharpen my chainsaw without putting on the knee pads. For me it took a lot longer to get to the 100% mark than anybody told me about, but I did keep slowly getting there.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I know from experience with patients that knee replacements can go very differently even performed on the same patient by the same doctor.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

My wife had total knee replacement 3 years ago. Two weeks later she was walking painfree and the Doctor dismissed her , told her that he didnt need to see her anymore. I had shoulder surgery 7 weeks ago and I quit the Doctor visits 2 weeks after the operation and not going to physical therapy.. I think an active person will get back in shape quite naturally. Dont get rediculous but dont sit and wait to get better either.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I need to get my knees done. I'm quite limited these days.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Haven't had a knee replacement, but back in '82 I broke my knee and ended up with a 8" scar and some pins to hold it all together. I asked the doctor when I could walk on it without crutches, and he laughed and said, "Whenever you want."
I began exercising it the next day, as it had a brace with pins that could be set in 10 degree increments. He told me when I could bend it 10 degrees 10 times, I could move the stops another 10 degrees. Two weeks later I walked into his office with my crutches, but set them down and walked around without them. He immediately got very excited and told me not to walk without crutches! I reminded him what he'd said two weeks before, and he said he was joking, because he never dreamed I'd feel good enough to even try it. So I was back to crutches for 6 more weeks.

I'm sure I'll need that knee replaced someday, as it's so sloppy I need to be very careful how I step, or it will pop out easily. But I find the more active I stay, the better it does. If my muscles get out of tone the knee feels even looser.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Looks like you'rerecovering nicely!
I purrchased the PTR 9 about 2 years ago. It came with the arm brace which is a "must have". By far the most fun gun I have. Of all my guns, that is the one all my kids and g-kids want to shoot. I was assigned an H&K MP5 for 13 years. Loved it. The PTR is every bit as reliable. I have never experienced a jam or stovepipe. I put a Romeo 3 dot sight on it and will get a suppressor soon. Enjoy!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jkbrea wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:31 pm Looks like you'rerecovering nicely!
I purrchased the PTR 9 about 2 years ago. It came with the arm brace which is a "must have". By far the most fun gun I have. Of all my guns, that is the one all my kids and g-kids want to shoot. I was assigned an H&K MP5 for 13 years. Loved it. The PTR is every bit as reliable. I have never experienced a jam or stovepipe. I put a Romeo 3 dot sight on it and will get a suppressor soon. Enjoy!

Argggghhhh - mine did not come with the brace and now they are sold out everywhere.

But it was a situation where i saw it on my dealers shelf and thought “hmmmmm- better pull the trigger on this one now , we never know what the future brings”

Im glad i did because these critters are sold out all over the place

If i had the patience to wait, i could file for an SBR and put a fixed stock on it for about the price the brace kit is going for now
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Alphawolf45 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 am My wife had total knee replacement 3 years ago. Two weeks later she was walking painfree and the Doctor dismissed her , told her that he didnt need to see her anymore. I had shoulder surgery 7 weeks ago and I quit the Doctor visits 2 weeks after the operation and not going to physical therapy.. I think an active person will get back in shape quite naturally. Dont get rediculous but dont sit and wait to get better either.
Thanks for the positive report
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

DadsMod12 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:56 pm I had my total knee replaced 3 1/2 years ago at the age of 58. My surgery was at 8 and I walked in my front door at noon. My PT wanted me to use a walker for about 10 days. If I remember correctly I was to use the walker for long walks for about 3 weeks, cane the rest of the time. I don't think I got on my bike for at least 2 months even though the Dr. said I could do anything I wanted at my one month check up. I think it took at least six months to feel 95% and about a year for 100%. Talk to your PT

Dan
Im 49 myself. Im hoping for results like yours
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 am I know from experience with patients that knee replacements can go very differently even performed on the same patient by the same doctor.
Thx OS! So far the PT techs and my surgeons PA assistant say im doing exponentially better than they expected. (40% better) - but im a pessimist by nature and just have a feeling im going to hit the proverbial wall soon.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:08 am Hey Streetstar...can't help ya on the knee but I keep 3 Uzi's and a few semi auto Smiths fed very well using a cheap 6 cavity Lee mould.....don't even size them...liquid alox lube and a small dose of Bullseye.....brass is so cheap I don't even pick em up unless they are at my feet.......

This shortage won't last forever.

As for your knee...use it....don't know your personality but I'm a type A and can't sit still.....doc told me these "type" of people heal faster.....don't know if you cast either but if you don't now is the time to learn.....pretty much a no brainer for simple bullets like the nine......

You got the time bro, now go load the nine----6 :D .

Im not a type A, but i cannot sit still either. My ex GF says i am a horrible patient because i am always trying to do things too soon and aggravating my doctors and nurses.
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

earlmck wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 am Streetstar, if you are already riding a bike after just 10 days you are coming along fast: I don't think I would have had the flex and strength until at least week 3 or more. I got my replacements about 5 1/2 years ago, managed a backpack trip 3 months later (very light pack, fairly gentle terrain), and was hunting that Fall but was a bit disappointed in how poorly I could hobble up and down the hills. Was still somewhat disappointed for the next year's hunting, but by about year 3 I was going up and down hills like normal and could climb a ladder without looking like "old grampaw". And after 4 years I could finally drop down on my knees and sharpen my chainsaw without putting on the knee pads. For me it took a lot longer to get to the 100% mark than anybody told me about, but I did keep slowly getting there.

Im glad you got it there Earl! Backpacking in 3 months sounds ambitious to me the way i am feeling now, but who knows

Regarding the bike- i was a ranked velodrome cyclist in my misspent youth, so the bike is just something i gravitate to —I wouldnt have attempted it otherwise and it may not be an accurate reflection of how im doing , but the weather was nice enough i would have hung the bad leg off to the side and just pedaled with my good leg if i had to just to get out of the house — lol
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Street, I have done various types of rehab including a lot of my own for 42 years. I tend to go very incrementally. I am generally not concerned with fast as much as looking to maximize the full potential. Various types of tissue recover at different rates and they depend on each other.

On the road to Sequoia Nat''l Park for a couple days of hiking.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...