I am reading McPHERSON ON LEVERGUNS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I am reading McPHERSON ON LEVERGUNS

Post by JimT »

This is one book that goes well with Paco's. Mic goes into fine detail testing, handloading, customizing and using the levergun. It is not a book you will breeze through. When I say "Mic goes into detail" that is what he does. There is a wealth of information in it and like most anything that is worth something, you have to dig it out. No "3 Steps to Minute of Angle Accuracy" stuff.

I have not yet finished all 365 pages but I am more than 2/3 through the book. It is worth having. I just finished re-reading his article on leverguns ... "100 YEARS AND STILL GOING STRONG" .. which is well worth noting. Though written in 1999 the article still is applicable today and probably should be read by those who think the levergun is a "short range brush gun" or some such drivel.

As a good friend of mine wrote me some months ago: THE 4" .38 IS VIEWED AS INADEQUATE OR BARELY ACCEPTABLE BUT A 2" J-FRAME IS THE NUMBER ONE CHOICE FOR POCKET CARRY. LIKEWISE A .30-30 LEVERGUN IS TOO SMALL FOR ELK BUT CUT THE BARREL TO 10", REMOVE AND REPLACE THE BUTTSTOCK WITH A PISTOL GRIP, AND MAKE IT A SINGLE-SHOT AND SUDDENLY IT WORKS!
-John Taffin-

I am recommending Mic's book. I am sure some others here have it. It's a worthy addition to your library.
IMG_1615.JPG
oops ... forgot to add that it is available on Amazon ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I am reading McPHERSON ON LEVERGUNS

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'll order it today! Thanks.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have a signed full color edition myself already. It is great reading and also makes a good gift for a fellow levergun enthusiast. It leans a bit more to Marlins so if your a Marlin Man, you should especially consider one. Still lots of good information for us Winchester guys! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I see in the preview Amazon provides that he found that Remington Marlins since 2012 were decent and in some ways better than the JM builds. Hopefully Ruger will continue down that path.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks Jim, have been considering a comprehensive lever action book for the collection.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Have had this one on my radar for years now.