Ammo box game recommendations ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Ammo box game recommendations ?

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys, this may be a silly question and I'm definitely not so naive as to think that the game animals listed on ammo boxes are any kind of hard and fast rule, however..... looking at the recommended list on two different calibers of the same brand, type and weight ammo did get me thinking about bullet construction based on caliber. So here it goes.

I've had boxes of winchester 150gr. 30-30 power-points around for years. And the boxes always say "deer & black bear".
I recently acquired a 300 sav and picked up a couple boxes of winchester 150gr. 300 sav. power-points and the boxes say, "deer, antelope & wild boar".

So what's the difference? Why no bear on the 300 sav? Are they more lightly constructed than the 30-30 P-P? I can see not recommending the 30-30 for antelope as it's not really a long range round (I think maybe I read that shots at antelopes tend to be longer ranges, but being in the east I wouldn't know). And I don't know what to make of the inclusion of wild boar. Just seems like a strange list to me.

Anyways just wondering I should read into the differences in the game animals listed on the boxes. Thanks.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JimT
Shootist

Re: Ammo box game recommendations ?

Post by JimT »

COSteve wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:26 pm I guess with all the climate change, pollution, and political unrest the game have gotten thicker skinned, more resistant, and more mean . . . . . . sort of like the Libs! :o :lol:
Yep. The other day I shot a deer clean in half and both halves got away!

:lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

30-30 is worthless on deer! I know because a good friend of mine, who has since crossed the Great Divide, had killed 28 ELK with a model 64 Winchester in 30-30.

Just use common sense as to the distances, what animal, along with shot placement. Both of your cartridges are good for about anything in N.A. within reasonable ranges. The names companies put on boxes for regular big game hunting are for marketing.....what to watch for is bullet weight and construction.......in other words, don't use 30 caliber 110 grain hollow points on a bear or 30 caliber 168 grain b.t.h.p.match bullets for elk.

"Silvertips" are not silver...."power points" don't have power....."core locks", well, lock the core....so don't pay attention to me.----006.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah but a 22 short betwixt the ribs into the air bladders will kill anything in this country. Don't matter if the bullet misses the vitals- it ain't gonna do the job humanely.
Pick your shot placement and any .30 will get it done!

I remember reading Ackley shooting wild donkeys with wildcat 17s- head shots mostly.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seems to me that those recommendations are mostly marketing. Sure the manufacturer tests the bullets, but how much of that is on live game? Some probably. Still, the part I look for is what the bullet construction is.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Darn it................ :(

I thought you were planning to come up with an alternative to Monopoly -- you know, a fun board or card game for hunters & shooters.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You know that Monopoly could at one time be special ordered with the names on the board in the buyers choice. The cost was a more, but it was an option.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost