Good news for veterans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Good news for veterans

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I meant to post this on Veterans Day but between my back flare up, non-stop meetings and other things the day (and week) got away from me. I did make this the subject of my first and only post on LinkedIn.

My employer launched an upgrade to a program they adopted a few years ago called the "Military Degree Equivalency Program". The old program offered the equivalency of an Associates Degree to any veteran with a rank of E4. The new program, launched on Veterans Day, now offers a MDE of a Bachelor's Degree for any veteran ranked E6 and up.

This is just fantastic news. I am really proud of this effort and hope other companies do the same (just not my competitors!). NO MORE UNEMPLOYED VETERANS!!!

A belated "thank you" for your service to all the veterans on this forum. You are the best!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good news for veterans

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a very honorable thing your employer is doing!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool. In the field I am in almost all of my employees tend to be women in their 20s and 30s, and I’ve only had one who was a military veteran, but she was pretty awesome.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So do employers accept the MDE? This is the first time I’ve heard of it. No one that ever applied with me had such a thing.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Looks good. What else would help is rolling back this hollywood movie notion we all have PTSD too.Thats what really hurts job prospects at the moment. Society went from ignoring the condition to acknowledging it, then somewhere along the line things went off the rails with this idea all veterans have it. Bad stereotype to try and shake, that you are mentally ill because of your former profession.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

mickbr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 pm Looks good. What else would help is rolling back this hollywood movie notion we all have PTSD too.Thats what really hurts job prospects at the moment. Society went from ignoring the condition to acknowledging it, then somewhere along the line things went off the rails with this idea all veterans have it. Bad stereotype to try and shake, that you are mentally ill because of your former profession.
Is that like all postal workers could go postal at any time? ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am
mickbr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 pm Looks good. What else would help is rolling back this hollywood movie notion we all have PTSD too.Thats what really hurts job prospects at the moment. Society went from ignoring the condition to acknowledging it, then somewhere along the line things went off the rails with this idea all veterans have it. Bad stereotype to try and shake, that you are mentally ill because of your former profession.
For my postman to go postal he's have to show up. No mail yesterday, two deliveries today. The record is four days no mail and then three deliveries in one day. Shooting for four. :?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am
Apparently. In the day they used the term 'post- deployment fatigue' more- you were so busy, hyped and exhausted after working 6-7 10 hour days for months. The advice when you got home was just relax, turn up to work, try not to drink too much etc and everything would come back online. If it didnt, then seek further help. Soldiers now are briefed that anything could be PTSD, get into see the doc rightaway and they get loaded up with drugs.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's a great program and I'm really happy to see this kind of thing.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 am So do employers accept the MDE? This is the first time I’ve heard of it. No one that ever applied with me had such a thing.
I think it is employer-specific. For us, an rank of E6 equates to having a bachelor's degree for most roles. Certainly very-specific things are excluded - but those would be excluded to those with most bachelor's degrees as well (for example, if the rob requires a chemical engineering degree, an E6 MDE would not be accepted, but a bachelors in Business Administration wouldn't be accepted either).

I think a LOT of employers can do this - and should. Bluntly, the bachelor's degree is overrated for most roles anyway. I'll take hard work and common sense over parchment all day long.