The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

I thought that was the mold for old original style 45 Colt bullet. I have that mold but haven't used it in a while and can't remember for sure.
I guess the memory is the first......maybe second, to go. :D

Hey Six,
Why don't you care for 45 Colt? I think you've said before but I can't remember that either.
Who am I? Where am I?.......What day is this? :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Look here you redneck...how can I care for the 45 Colt when you took the last four I had? :D

Ahhhhh...dunno Jay......The 44 Spl grabbed me more as I was a student of Elmer and Skeeter. Better investments too....there's not a whole lot of original pre war 44 Spls around. There's more steel in the cylinder of a 44 and tolerances are more uniform.

You want to know who you are and where you are....your name is Jay and your in the dooryard trying to figure out how to get 63 washing machine, 14 ovens, 7 toilets, 11 old pick up trucks and 16 old worn out rubber machines off of your yard that passing motorists left there.

OK pal? Now! Get back to work! I get my automatic deposit in 3 days and I don't want it to bounce.-----your pal--6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I gotta say. I always thought the 44 special would be a great chambering in an SAA.
I've ALWAYS wanted a Frontier Six Shooter too.

Oh well. What's a poor hick to do?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ugh more rain coming today... Not going to get any work done today, subs are doing their thing on the bathroom job, we started the decking on the deck job yesterday, another plastic product. Lower end stuff, ya know what ya get. Guess I'll toddle off to the shop and work on hood ornament bases for the neighbor. This guy has more ornaments than a dem has brain cells! But I get 40 bucks per base and they are headed to AZ for the winter, $250/month to watch the house.

Ah well, coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

.44 Special is a great SAA chambering. Have had one for about 30 years. Stronger than a .45 Colt cylinder.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.44 Special being a smaller diameter certainly did have more steel in the cylinder walls. Even with the older steel technology, it meant that the same initial cylinder would be stronger. We all know that. Even so, some folks still managed to overload and destroy a few on their way to developing a more powerful round. If Elmer Keith had not beat a few guns to death on his quest that ended up with the .44 Mag, we might not have got there for a lot longer time. Despite all the lead up, I still hate the fact that some nice firearms were sacrificed in the process. It just goes against the safety procedures that I have had beaten into me to not overload the machine.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller...I often think about that as with the old Colts getting blown up in experimenting.........I can afford to experiment with toothpicks, plastic spoons and old newspapers.......some people have no limit to what they can play with.

When I blew up that 1886 in 45-90.......today a 4K gun.....I was sick for a month.....not from the damage to my arm but to the loss of such a fine firearm.

Yea Gunny......cold, rainy, just plain nasty..........gotta run up and get some diesel for the extremely mighty Kubota.

I'm now convinced what people have been telling me for many years....the last 44 Presidents have been nobodies installed by the elite for their money pleasures.......except for Trump........-----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I knew a guy who was a big money Winchester collector. Incredible stuff. He told me he shipped these things all over. I said I wouldn't dare to. He replied that "hey, it's all insured".
I said, "yeah, but it's still gone forever".

They ain't making any more of em boys. Even my junkers are well cared for.

You're right Jack. And he will be crucified for doing what he has done.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have pics around here somewhere of a SBH that John Gallagher blew up when we were in school. John and another guy were developing a cartridge SBH they were modifying. They were using 348 Win brass cut down to 1&3/8". Anyhow they were trying different powders and BOOM. they found some of the cylinder...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

With all the above said about the 45 Colt... it was still the most powerful handgun cartridge until the .357... If you've never felt the power of a 40 grain black powder round with a 250 grain bullet... you're missing out on some wonderful recoil!

Oh, and congratulations on page 135 Jay!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So here are the 3 hood ornament bases i made today.
20201112_140342.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty neato Gunny...is that walnut? Going through my wood the other day and found a piece of Osage orange big enough to mount a small lawnmower on.....we got to get together sometime.

I was doing a fair amount of cutting yesterday on the table saw and yes, I like the homemade throat plate that only allows the blade to come through.....found out later it's no good on angle cuts ....couldn't figure why the angle wheel wouldn't turn....

I was looking at dado blades today..anywhere from $60-100...couldn't I just put two or three blades together for a wide cut?---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well now that you know how to make zero clearance throat plate ya just need to make a new one for angle cuts. Tip the blade and raise it up through , easy! I keep a couple for various dado setups too.

If you get a shim kit to space the blades i suppose you could stack regular blades. However a 10" table saw normally uses 8" dado blades. Now a good stack dado set is set up to cut square sides & bottoms, might not be as good looking with regular blades.

Then there are the 'wobble' dado setups. These you put on the saw and it wobbles- kinda unnerving when it gets up to speed and let's not talk about the vibrations on your saw motor.

Oh yes that is walnut.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:22 pm With all the above said about the 45 Colt... it was still the most powerful handgun cartridge until the .357... If you've never felt the power of a 40 grain black powder round with a 250 grain bullet... you're missing out on some wonderful recoil!

Oh, and congratulations on page 135 Jay!
Thanks Griff!
Yeah, I like the old 45. I've had one or more for about 32 years.
As much as I know the 44 Special is a great cartridge, I like the original "cowboy calibers". :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:28 pm.
As much as I know the 44 Special is a great cartridge, I like the original "cowboy calibers". :D
The 45 Long Colt is an original military cartridge, not caliber.

The 44 Spl is an elongation of the 44 Russian, also a military cartridge, not caliber.

The only "cowboy calibers" are Colt 45 Malt Liquor, Mickey D's Malt Liquor, Old Crow sour mash, and Thunderbird wine....."Whats the price?.....50 twice!

I'm sorry pal....I'm in a very very pissy mood...all this rain and non stop aggravation is working on my nerves.

AND .....I NOW BELIEVE YOUR SIGNATURE LINE....the "oppressors have won" .....go read what I wrote on Doc's post he recently posted.---6 o da bro wit the caliber.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:28 pm.
The 45 L̶o̶n̶g̶ Colt is an original military cartridge, not caliber.

The 44 Spl is an elongation of the 44 Russian, also a military cartridge, not caliber.

The only "cowboy calibers" are Colt 45 Malt Liquor, Mickey D's Malt Liquor, Old Crow sour mash, and Thunderbird wine....."Whats the price?.....50 twice!

I'm sorry pal....I'm in a very very pissy mood...all this rain and non stop aggravation is working on my nerves.

AND .....I NOW BELIEVE YOUR SIGNATURE LINE....the "oppressors have won" .....go read what I wrote on Doc's post he recently posted.---6 o da bro wit the caliber.
Fixed that for ya!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha no problem man.
I guess I was guilty of using the wrong terminology.
Oh no! Must be that eubonics you always tokkin bout! :D
I hear you buddy. It is sure aggravating. I've been watching it happen since I was in high school.
Doing that term paper on George Orwell when I was 17 really messed me up.
Or opened my eyes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Did they ever make a 45 short Colt? Nope so why does everyone use the term 45 long Colt? The cartridge is 45 Colt.
I'm not trying to start an argument but I know someone that will jump on long Colt with both feet up to his waist and argue until the cows come home.

So one day last week I took a chunk of skin off my left index finger, past few days it's been swollen and sore. Finally decided to take antibiotics that the Dr gave me back in September. Swelling is down, not as sore and the skin texture is more defined.

Ol FWB is off the sit in a tree this weekend, wonder if he got around to casting me any buckshot?!

12 pellets of 4 buck is about 9/16 oz, not sure if I can get enough wad pressure for good ignition...

Well back to the deck job today. Decks suck, either too low making ya bend all day or too high where ya gotta be on hands & knees all day. Nothing is ever directly in front of ya very long.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I know the why.......
Cause of 45 Schofield.
But why not just 45 Colt and 45 Schofield? There wasn't any need to throw the LONG in there too.

I don't know, don't matter I guess.

Oh, and I still want a 4.75" Frontier Six Shooter. I can't believe Colt hasn't brought that back. I can't believe they did it in the beginning. Just cool as all get out.

Hope your finger is ok, Gunny. As long as it isn't your trigger.....or flippin finger......
Those are important. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Some feller on another forum went all Biden on me when I asked him why he callet it the "Long" Colt. He claimed that Elmer Keith called it the "Long" Colt. Said he did it to differentiate it from a shorter .45 round that the Army also used. The .45 Schofield was used by the Army for a while. He claimed that Colt made a shorter cartridge. Never heard of it, and he had nothing to show as proof.
D. Brian Casady
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I started but 10 pounds in a single cavity mold don’t happen overnight. Anybody want to buy a slightly used well cared for Wicked Ridge invader crossbow. I just scored a Ravin cheeep(for a Ravin anyway).
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The defunct 45 Colt "GOVERNMENT" The Long & Short of the .45 Colt by Jim Taylor. It's a long discontinued "Cartridge", never a distinct chambering. What I've often wondered is how it compares dimensionally to Adirondak Jack's Cowboy45Special.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Found some information on a Military Only round, the M1887 Frankford that would fit both the .45 Schofield and the .45 Colt revolvers.
What do you all know about this?
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45 Long Colt appears to be slang that caught on. Some foreign manufacturers use it. The cartridge is the 45 Colt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Look here you tarts.......The "long" in 45 Long Colt is a misnomer by contemporary people at the time....there was the original 45 Colt round and then the Schofield top break came along which used the same round but was shorter....at the time users would differentiate by using "long"

I have originals of both and I'll post a pic later. Hold on to your shorts, this is my department. I use the term "long" because as far as I'm concerned I'm living in that time frame when America was America and common sense prevailed
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Was this this the original military designation of the cartridge?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why have I no answer here?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:04 pm Why have I no answer here?
Answer to what???? What it was called? It was called "a cartridge"
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let me clear this up. Did the Army originally designate the cartridge 45 Colt?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let's go right to the lightning round. It appears the original Army nomenclature by the military was 45 Colt, this the debate is over ... it is 45 Colt.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 pm Let's go right to the lightning round. It appears the original Army nomenclature by the military was 45 Colt, this the debate is over ... it is 45 Colt.
Whatever it's called...THERE IS A LONG COLT AND A SHORT ONE, MAYBE NOT OFFICIALLY BUT THERE IS.....

ALL ORIGINAL MILITARY BLACK POWDER FROM THE 1870's, '80's, 90's.

There's more in here....ill let you or someone with more patience than me to sort through em....most every commercially popular cartridge from 1870's to the 1950's ever made right there......

Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well??? Is there a "long" 45 Colt?
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 amThe defunct 45 Colt "GOVERNMENT" The Long & Short of the .45 Colt by Jim Taylor. It's a long discontinued "Cartridge", never a distinct chambering. What I've often wondered is how it compares dimensionally to Adirondak Jack's Cowboy45Special.
Sixgun, the Schofield round is NOT the "short" Colt round. See above article by JimT. Click on text in red to go to article.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:16 am
Griff wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 amThe defunct 45 Colt "GOVERNMENT" The Long & Short of the .45 Colt by Jim Taylor. It's a long discontinued "Cartridge", never a distinct chambering. What I've often wondered is how it compares dimensionally to Adirondak Jack's Cowboy45Special.
Sixgun, the Schofield round is NOT the "short" Colt round. See above article by JimT. Click on text in red to go to article.
Griff....six and one half dozen of the other....the "short" cartridges in that article are the same as the originals I have.....I made the mistake by calling them Schofields......I should have said, "made for the schofield" and used in all Colts and schofields of the day. The rims on the short ones are the same as in the article......

Winchester made those cartridges for people who had left over government surplus Schofields.......

Six and one half dozen...six and one half dozen......-6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very impressive collection of cartridges, amazing!

Now on to terminology, if this information is correct there is a 45 Colt and a 45 Schofield. One was developed by Colt, the other by Smith and Wesson. The cases differ in more than length.

So Long Colt and Short Colt are slang, nicknames apparently based on use by armourers and in 45 Colt revolvers. There are other complications mentioned in the article.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Wikipedia article also mentions a variant developed by the Frankford Arsenal only for the military which apparently uses a shortened 45 Colt case for cross use in various military handguns.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy did I stir up a hornets nest! :lol:

Six I don't see a 450 bushmaster.... I know I sent you one!

So this deck job is done for the time being, these people had their well hit by lightning. The bolt traveled through the ground and found the heating oil line to the oil burner. When they turned on the heat ( October '19) it didn't work. Got the service guy there and they find the burner shot, the line exploded through the foundation! Long story short the tank was under the deck. Deck torn off, test wells dugs under the deck. So we had to frame around the test wells and leave out the deck boards above the wells so they can continue to monitor the ground water for oil. We will have to go back an install those boards whenever the EPA signs off...

Clear skies this morning! Cooler too- the Brown Wonder is going h u n t I n g ( I have to spell it- she knows that word)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, Six's cartridge collection rocks! I like the old obsolete cartridges from the 19th century. I have a few, but NOTHING like ol Jack.

Well my boy and his family made it here about 4:30am. God love em, traveling with 2 little kids. :shock:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Congratulations Jay, enjoy.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:04 am Congratulations Jay, enjoy.

Thanks buddy!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, these are available out the dooryard up by Old Win.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:37 am Six, these are available out the dooryard up by Old Win.
Hahaha hey Birthday Boy!
Careful! There's photographic evidence of you "communing with the locals" up here. There are rumors of dooryards and canned beverages being involved too! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Be thankful TBone...I never got to see my grandkids grow up and it's doubtful my daughter is ever going to have kids..
She's too money oriented.

Ha...ha.....Ha.....de doenyed ups by de jayson.......

The bushmaster is not in there Gunny.....I have another "wall of cartridges" on my bench.....less in number, higher in quality.......

Small talk over.....on to Old Savage, the birthday kid........first, Fred....how much soft stuff did you get to squeeze last night? I said in the other post that Scorpios get more A than a toilet seat. Girls would flock to my son...he didn't have to do anything...even a teacher from high school .......this kid can walk in a bar minding his own business and a girl will be sitting next to him in 30 seconds......

Oh! The Schofields........yes Fred.....slang.......I read that same thing about the shorter round developing a very slightly larger rim to accommodate the top break smith.......as far as I'm concerned they are both Chevy pick up trucks.....one is a four door and the other is a two door with pin striping.

I'll measure the rims----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Recycling! That is a good idea to recycle a former cold storage unit into a gun safe.
So, the .45 Short Colt is actually the .45 Frankford Arsenal.

I am a Gemini. Never alone as there are always two of me. Problem is that you never know when the side which doesn't understand remorse will show up.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lot to get to here. At the office, more la ter. Terminology is important because that is part of what we charge for in reports, billimgs etc.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But there are at least two cartridges with the misnomer Short Colt and neither are Colts.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

USE COMMON SENSE.......

As ANYTHING is being developed there are minute changes to accommodate the needs.....in short, "pun intended" there is a "short" and a "long" 45 Colt.

The reason the world is so screwed up is because of college educated ....or in "short" people who think they are elitists and know more than the "little guy". These educated people perpetrate their worthiness by using correct terminology and back it up with court precedents and scientific conclusions. The little guy states his worthiness by saying, "this is what works and it's how we always did it and further state, "if you don't like that, we are gonna F you up."

The former are leftists and the latter are MAGA's. It's been like that since cave man times.

We are in the midst of the beginnings of a physical Civil War.

Our own AJMD says is always best by letting the courts settle arguments. This is not going to work this time.

Those NO GOOD F "elitists" think that by stealing an election that everything is going to be "happy dory". Sorry...the fight is just starting. They have pushed us to the edge.

Oh! I started out to discuss the 45 Colt and mom hollers out to tell me, get out here! There's a million MAGA's marching
Next post I'll discuss it
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK..next post.....(Fred knows me well. :D ) In fact I signed papers last week that legally makes Old Savage as my father...I have adopted him.

NOW! Listen you elitists!

Modern 45 Colt rim diameter.........512

1870's full length military 45 Colt......510

Inside Benet primed "short" 45 Colt......521

1886 produced "short" 45 Colt.......523

1892 produced "short" 45 Colt.....514
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Busy day! Went and shot a couple birds this morning, just got in from stocking trout! We put in approximately 230 lbs of trout, my guess is 175 fish. Big fat rainbows and long mean looking browns. Now I gotta get my fishing stuff out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Man....Gunny, you get to do all the neat stuff....Fish...shooting.....paling around with your buds......

I got to split a 48" x 3' stump from the maple tree from the tornado.......had to get the loader to bring it up to the work area then split it in 4 using a sledgehammer and wedges then sawed each quarter in half then split it with the splitter.....I feel good, almost good enough to take on Mike Tyson.

I wanted to finish the job up and it got dark so I rigged up a light. ......pitch dark...van comes down the driveway......I stiffen up.....300 lb sister gets out and asks, "is this 404?" I said, "no" and gave her the proper house which is right down the road and is KKK headquarters.. :D ....no, the young lady was very nice and I sent her to my SIL's house..........I go about my business and turn my head to look.....this dumb stupid missing link is backing up on my yard after two days of rain and left ruts..........gone by the time I walked out.......

Went into the house.....looked at mom and told her NEVER to tell me to leave the chain down again. She told me to go f.m.s.........my evening is ruined.....
Model A Uzi’s