My Favorite Levergun Cartridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Favorite Levergun Cartridge

Post by hfcable »

yes, it is. : )
cable
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Almost forgot! Another of my little .32-20 WCF rifles. A Remington #2 that's a joy to shoot. This one isn't fancy, but it's all original, and has a nice bore that makes it a great little shooter. I added the vernier tang sight to let it stretch it's legs out further.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

never have seen a rolling block in 32/20... that is neat !

i did pick up a uberti rolling block in 357, that is quite dainty. it should be a fun little shooter too.

the only 32/20s i have now, are pumps: remington model 25s [ a carbine and a rifle ] and a marlin model 27 pump. they are amazing small and light... if you hand one to someone they think it is a 22 pump
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Whoa...we are still on a 32-20 kick???.....dug out a Colt Lightning first model open top made in '86....found it in a little gunshop up in the mountains.....ahhh...threw in a Smith 32-20 that was sold to the Belknap Hardware in Kentucky in 1906. Whomever owned it forgot to shoot it,,,,but I did....---6

The box of Winchester 32 wcf is full, original and is black powder.

Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I recently saw a Remington Hepburn in .32-20 for sale, and it really was tough to not buy it. I love Hepburn rifles, and have four of them, but couldn't bring myself to finally buy it as it wasn't a bad price, but all Hepburns are spendy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Six, if you could tell me more about the grips on that S&W six gun, I would be obliged! You have my attention on that one!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I always thought the 356 and later the 338 Marlin were the best all around hunting cartridges in a traditional lever action. I think my 44mag is very handy and versatile and something like that is a good all around utility gun (357, 41, 45, 44-40, 38-40 could all work to some degree). Can't beat the 30-30 for pure practicality in the real world though. It just doesn't excite me
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:36 pm Six, if you could tell me more about the grips on that S&W six gun, I would be obliged! You have my attention on that one!

-Tutt
Hey Tutt...they are nothing special....the original "diamond" wood grips that came with the gun are packaged and marked in a box where I do the same with original sights that came with my antique leverguns after I resight them my way.....

The grips (stocks?) are Sambar stag and are of the S&W "magna" style. I installed a pair of pre war nickel silver medallions into them. Back in the day I used to find beat up pre war Colt or S&W grips for like $5 just to get the NS medallions out of them. Careful measurement and a 1/2" end mill bit makes for a perfect hole.....epoxy does the rest.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I have a long and happy relationship with the 30-30 Winchester
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/in-defe ... inchester/
and like some others here, I have carried it for 'other than recreational purposes'.

But I am about to explore the 35 Remington in an old, pre-Texan straight grip Marlin. I've always favored more bullet and more thump, so we'll see how that works out.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sarge, I have both calibers. I like both, and would not like to be forced to choose between them for any permanent time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

I was thinking the same thing about the 35. I took half a dozen lever guns out to the range yesterday and the 35 Rem seemed like it would make a perfect "brush gun". Really pleasant to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Intended to take my old 30-30 out too but could not find the box I had the ammo in. Guess that is what happens when you don't shoot it for 25 years.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

This maybe Heresy but I quite like .44 mag...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

piller wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 am Sarge, I have both calibers. I like both, and would not like to be forced to choose between them for any permanent time.
Likewise, but it seems I end up using the .30-30 more often.

Probably because I like the sights on the gun just a little more.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Scrumbag wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:52 am This maybe Heresy but I quite like .44 mag...
Not heresy at all. It is a fine levergun cartridge.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:15 am
Scrumbag wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:52 am This maybe Heresy but I quite like .44 mag...
Not heresy at all. It is a fine levergun cartridge.
With this group, heresy is wanting to prevent people from owning guns. Otherwise, it is sort of difficult to find a cartridge which nobody on this forum would want to try. Sort of like Jim Taylor and friends coming up with the .480 Achilles. Why not?
D. Brian Casady
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

For shooting - I really like my .45 Colt Trapper. Likely for the same reason some of you gents like the 32-20. With cowboyy specc loads i can shoot it all day and it is fun

Sentimental favorite is the 30-30 though . What once was, still is.
----- Doug
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I love the 30-30. I think its pretty much perfect for the deer hunting I do. I've never shot a deer over 90 yards and the deer I've shot have all either dropped on the spot or within 50 yards.

If I were to expand my list a little it would include: 30-30, 32WS, 35rem, and 300 savage. I love guns, but I'm a hunter first, and so my favority cartridges are those that I hunt deer with. I think for most deer or bear hunting in the eastern US, you can't do much better than one of those four. Unless you are (actually) going to be taking shots over 200 yards, I don't see the need for a 308 or 30-06 (or bigger!).

Chuck Hawks has a similar list

https://www.chuckhawks.com/ideal_deer_cartridges.htm
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

shasta_steve wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 am I was thinking the same thing about the 35. I took half a dozen lever guns out to the range yesterday and the 35 Rem seemed like it would make a perfect "brush gun". Really pleasant to shoot and surprisingly accurate. Intended to take my old 30-30 out too but could not find the box I had the ammo in. Guess that is what happens when you don't shoot it for 25 years.
Pretty sure I'm going to like it and be in good company, too.

Last edited by Sarge on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My 336 in .35 Remington is one of the JM ones. It is as accurate as I could ask for. Most 5 shot groups from the bench are under 2 inches at 100 yards, and I can sometimes get them down to 1.25 inches if I am having a good day. I like the way it shoots. I haven't hunted with it yet. That must be fixed soon.
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

35 Rem no match for 358 Win ballistically unless you have a really soft shoulder. Don't understand....-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No need for killing, skinning, and field dressing the deer with one shot. Deer around here are sort of smaller than in Iowa.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

[/quote]

With this group, heresy is wanting to prevent people from owning guns. Otherwise, it is sort of difficult to find a cartridge which nobody on this forum would want to try. Sort of like Jim Taylor and friends coming up with the .480 Achilles. Why not?
[/quote]

Now this is what I think would be cool. A Henry or 66 rifle, chambered for the .480 Achilles.

I handled and fired Jim Taylor's .480 Achilles in Arkansas, and I was very impressed with the gun and how easy it was to hit with.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm 35 Rem no match for 358 Win ballistically unless you have a really soft shoulder. Don't understand....-Tutt
Soft shoulder? LOL. I had my right one taken apart 5 years ago and rebuilt with screws, Kevlar and the upper bicep resewn. I was back on a 30-06 with 180s/12 gauge buck & slugs in four months. I will admit to some tooth gritting for awhile there, though.

The 358 is a great cartridge for sure, but some of us just like old Marlins and find the 35 enough for what we're going to do with them.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

My shoulder is very soft. It's a mess in there. Torn labrum, impingement, rotator damage. I was hoping to avoid surgery, but I keep reinjuring it.

I don't have a 358, but if I did, I would still reach for the 35 on my way to the deer woods.

If I was ever lucky enough to go moose hunting, I'd love to have a 358 though.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I hear you guys, I hear you. I just turned 54 October 31st, so I'm on the younger end of the spectrum for our forum. Many of you I have been acquainted with for 10+ years like Doc AJMD and Sixgun on this forum and a few more as I have come and gone over the years. My right shoulder is OK, but my right bicep I think has a tear in it after a fall 8 months ago. It doesn't seem to be getting better. Thankfully I am a "lefty" for rifle shooting and the right arm is not an issue as a supporting arm. I have been shooting right hand/left eye with revolvers which is a "wanky" thing but I have made it work. Now the right arm is not so strong anymore for heavy magnums. I may need to shift over to a left handed grip/left eye dominance for pistols/revolvers. I became a left handed rifle shooter because of eye dominance and clarity before eye glasses but once I had corrective lenses, I could of gone either way. I may have to switch to a left hand hold and eye for revolvers as my right arm not so strong now. I have much to learn about shooting still, and will have to learn new tricks I see as I get older. We all have to adapt to what our bodies can do for sure. The important thing is to keep adapting and shooting and teaching it to others. I'm grateful to the members here, this is still a great place. Paco is in his 80's now I believe, but he should be proud he created this forum and his peers too.

-Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:46 amGreat story Doc! I didn't know you had an 1889. I have one in 38-40. It's my favorite Marlin.
I wish I had my Grandfathers 64 Winchester.
Here it is when it was probably only a year old or so... 8)

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is the height of coolness!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.